[Scpg] sources for spoiled hay?

Darla Sharp darla at icess.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 10 14:44:09 PST 2004

Hello,

Just finished reading an article in Mother Earth News on Ruth Stout's
mulching method---reccommended was spoiled hay (seeds minimized). I've
been doing something close to what is described, but not deep enough and
I would like to try the hay for the added nitrogen, but I have no idea
who to call beyond the local feed store and their cost, when and if
available, is their cost: $9 per bale. In the article the cost Stout
quoted was somewhere around 65 cents a bale. Maybe that cost quote is
seriously old and outdated, but $9 a bale for spoiled/wet hay seems
pretty costly.

Anyone know where to find spoiled hay for low cost?

Thank you!
-Darla