[Scpg] Bermuda Grass

Fitzsimmons, Mark A mark.a.fitzsimmons at boeing.com
Thu Mar 11 13:21:17 PST 2004

Hello, I am a newcomer to this list, but a long time reader of Permaculture, gardener and tree recycler (making lumber, bowls and furniture out of trees).

I always plant a garden, but my yard is completely overgrown with bermuda grass, which is tenacious and insidious, so it's always a battle to the death that the grass usually wins.

Can anyone recommend strategies for dealing with it? I tried making a raised bed last year, putting plastic down over the grass and distributing my compost over the plastic, but still the grass creeps in (underground, where I can't see it) and now I face ripping out half the garden down to the plastic before putting down the rest of my compost pile.

Any ideas?