[Scpg] MARCH Permaculture Mtg in Santa Barbara & Events Announcements

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Mar 15 07:15:45 PST 2004

Hi Everyone-

Remember, the March monthly South Coast Permaculture Guild Meeting (video
discussion group), will be combined with the Ianto Evans Cob talk and
potluck to be held at the CEC.

See below for all the details related to these two events, and other
announcements for Spring & Summer 2004.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

MARCH MONTHLY MEETING will be IANTO EVANS TALK at CEC in Santa Barbara
Thursday Mar 18 6:30, Potluck Followed By Slide Show and Talk $3 Donation
With Ianto Evans cob builder and author.  Bring food to share.
Community Environmental Council (CEC)Gildea Resource Center, 930 Miramonte
Dr (off of W. Carrillo St), Santa Barbara CA
Contact Margie Bushman 805-962-2571. sbpcnet at silcom.com,
www.sbpermaculture.org

The Handsculpted House; A Practical and Philosophical Guide to Building a
Cob Cottage, will be available for sale and signing by the author.

What is cob? http://www.cobcottage.com
The word cob comes from an Old English root meaning "a lump or
rounded mass." It's a traditional building technique using earth
mixed with water, straw and often sand. Cob is easy to learn and
inexpensive to build. It dries to a hardness similar to lean concrete
and is used like adobe to create self-supporting, load-bearing walls.
Cob has been used for centuries throughout Western Europe, even
in rainy and windy climates, as far north as the latitude of Alaska.
This ancient technology doesn't contribute to deforestation,
pollution or mining, nor depend on manufactured materials or power
tools. Cob is non-toxic and completely recyclable, which is
important in this era of environmental degradation, dwindling natural
resources and chemical contaminants. Since cob adds thermal
mass, it is appropriate for use in passive-solar buildings.

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
June 13-26, 2004
San Luis Obispo County, California

Join us again at the Center of Natural Design with one of the finest
gatherings of veteran Permaculture Teachers ever assembled!

The Center of Natural Design is proud to showcase a Consortium of Friends,
Internationally Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide
Sustainability Movement, including:

* Larry Santoyo, Director, the Center of Natural Design
* Scott Pittman, Director, The Permaculture Institute
* Toby Hemenway, Author, Gaia's Garden
* Jude Hobbs, Director, Cascadia Permaculture
* Joseph Kennedy, Co Founder, Builders without Borders

-and a growing list of other Very Special Guests...

SPECIALIZED CURRICULUM
This course has something for everyone... Curriculum includes inspiring
examples of sustainable land use and human ingenuity from around the world.

The core curriculum will, of course, include chapters 1-14 of the
Permaculture Designers' Manual and additionally, include new, updated and
expanded material: Eco-Literacy, Designing and Building your own
Home-Ecosystem, Natural Building Techniques, Food-Forests, Fossil-less
Fuels and Energy, Industrial Ecology, Patterns of Human Dynamics &
Community, Practicing Democracy, MicroVillage Networks, EcoUrbanism and more...

Also Field Trips, Design Exercises and a variety of Hands-on Learning
Opportunities.

LOCATION
The Center of Natural Design is located on California's beautiful Central
Coast. The 10-acre private retreat center features bio-diversity gardens,
day spa, guest house and campgrounds at the edge of centuries-old oak
woodlands and coastal chaparral ecosystems.

Extinct volcanoes, scenic coastline and nearby Wine Country truly
complement the beautyŠ Additional activities include: Hiking, Biking,
Kayaking, Yoga, BeachCombing, visit to the world famous Big Sur Coast,
award winning Wine Tasting and more...

TUITION & FEES:
$1050.00 - $1550.00 sliding scale
for full 2 week intensive -register for all or part.

Cost includes:
Tuition & Registration, Materials, Field Trips, Certification, Camping and
Meals.

Trade, Work-trade, and Group Discounts also available...

SPACE IS LIMITED Don't miss this opportunity!

For Information & Registration contact:

info at earthflow.com

805.528.3763 (9-5 Pacific Standard Time)

visit -www.earthflow.com

Permaculture Design Course:
EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability
Los Angeles, California, Fall 2004
info at earthflow.com -or- 805.528.3763
Permaculture Design Course Series:

6 weekends through September, October & November

September       11/12 and 18/19

October           9/10 and 16/17

November        13/14 and 20/21

* EcoLiteracy * Natural Building * The Home Ecosystem * Green Business
* Deep Ecology * Practicing Democracy * EcoVillage Design & More...

Creating abundant, locally self-sustaining homes and neighborhoods is the
aim of the worldwide Permaculture Design Movement.  Permaculture is the art
and science that applies patterns found in nature to the design and
construction of human and natural environments...  In this course, we will
learn ways to transform our back yards and neighborhoods -so that  we can
bring true security and abundance back to our communities.

We will examine the most inspiring examples of sustainable land use and
human ingenuity ever documented...  The Permaculture Design Course has
truly transformed the lives and enhanced the careers of thousands of people
around the world.  Join us in this powerful series and be a part of
restoring social, ecological and economic vitality back to our neighborhoods.

Part One... September 11/12 and 18/19
"Fire, Water, Earth & Air... New Ecology and Sacred Geometry":

Introduction to Permaculture and Natural Pattern Understanding

The first Part will cover an in-depth introduction to Permaculture Design &
Ethics of Earth Care with a special presentation on reading the patterns of
the landscape. A simple foundation for understanding indicators of
sustainability and other patterns of the natural world.

Part Two... October 9/10 and 16/17
"Food, Water, Shelter... Earth-Friendly Techniques & Technologies":

Sustainable Resource Management, Building the Home Ecosystem.

The second Part will focus on: techniques for designing & building a
complete home ecosystem, restorative agriculture and natural building, as
well as learning ancient technologies for earth stewardship and land
restoration.

Part Three... November 13/14 and 20/21
Creating Community... Self-Reliance, Eco-Village and Eco-Economics:

EcoVillage Design and Community Celebration

The final session will feature: community building & "creating a sense of
place," patterns of human dynamics, intentional communities & eco-villages.
We will also learn strategies for creating community-wide sustainability
and methods for finding our own right-livelihoods.

Six Weekend Intensive Features:
* An All-Star Teaching Team...
Join the finest gatherings of veteran Permaculture Teachers and
Internationally Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide
Sustainability Movement!

Teaching Team is led by Larry Santoyo, Director, The Center of Natural
Design with very special guests including: Toby Hemenway, Author, Giaia's
Garden...

- Local experts and guest lecturers are still being added and confirmed!

* Locations...
See what's going on... Each week our venues will take us in and around Los
Angeles County...

* Field Trips...
Visit: Backyard Food-Forests, Nature Hike, Organic Farm, Farmers Market,
Community Gardens and more...

* Hands-On Learning...
We will get our hands dirty learning Natural Building Techniques,
Sustainable Landscape Construction, Art in the Garden & More...

* New and Expanded Curriculum...
In addition to the required Permaculture Certificate Course Curriculum...
Natural Building with Cob, Straw, Earthbags and Bamboo, Alternative Fuels,
Human Dynamics, Deep Ecology, Eco-Urbanism, MicroVillage Development,
Practicing Democracy & More...

* Community Celebration...
"Green Goods & Good Greens"

Course participants will host an Eco-Trade Show, Crafts & Culinary Fair...
and on into the evening with the infamous Talent Show and Graduation Party...

* Enrich your Life & Enhance Your Career...
Meet Students and Teachers from all around the Country.  Join Professionals
and Lay People as we not only create but BECOME the Future of Sustainability!..

* You Can Register For All or Part...
$800.00 - $1200.00 -sliding scale- for all 6 weekend sessions

includes tuition, certification (additional materials fee may apply)

$134.00 -$202.00 -sliding scale- per weekend

$68.00 - $101.00 -sliding scale- per day

Trades and Work-Trades still available... Email for details.

Contact:  info at earthflow.com -or Call: 805.528.3763 (9-5 Pacific Time)

Volunteers, Venues and other Sponsors needed
In cooperation with:
PatternLiteracy.Com, TreePeople, Open Circle LLC, The Terra Foundation,
HopeDance Media, Builders without Borders, The Permaculture Institute,
EarthFlow Design Works, The Center of Natural Design