[Scpg] Is a Permaculture Course for You?

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Mar 29 10:50:46 PST 2004

hi everyone
         Thought I would send this out to help folks get to know about why
it is important to take a 10 day Permaculture Design Course and how to
figure who to take the course from and where, I would recommend everyone in
our region take a look the Permaculture Design Courses offered by Larry
Santoyo www.earthflow.com ,  June 13-26, 2004 as the course is in our bioregion
  this story is about a woman in Australia who took her course from Robyn
Francis  at her  site Nimbin Australia.
                 wes

Is a Permaculture Course for You?
http://globalpermaculture.50megs.com/pdcourse.html

Doing a permaculture course is an wonderful investment of time and you will
be surprised at how much you learn and how much broader your perspective in
many areas will become.

A permaculture course will leave you will an understanding of the
importance of site design, systems, observation of natural and seasonal
patterns, biological and energy efficient resources, polyculture, the
'edge' effect, the function of trees on our climate, keylines, swales,
microclimates and many more key elements of permaculture. Below are
ramblings of my experience with doing a permaculture design course.

I can't quite remember when the word 'permaculture' started to rattle
around in my brain but as time went on it became more and more pressing to
investigate it further.
I had read about permaculture practices in several magazines and then one
day I stumbled upon Bill Mollison's book called The Permaculture Designer's
Manual on the library shelves. I took the book home and was captivated by
the new and practical information that lay between its pages. Although I
understood many of the concepts outlined in the book I couldn't seem to get
my head around the importance of certain topics. I did not understand the
importance of keylines and I did not understand how to pull all the
information together into a single, simple to understand ideology. About
six months later I borrowed the same book and tried again to 'pull it
altogether' but once again failed. I just had to understand it. Everyone I
spoke to about permaculture either reacted with a "Huh? What's that?" and a
look that suggested I had three heads. Or they just weren't interested.
Talk about frustrating. I had no-one to bounce off ideas with.

I had learned that the quality of permaculture courses could be variable
and that it would be wise to investigate several, prior to choosing which
course to do. I looked up several permaculture designers in the yellow
pages and asked them where they did their course and what they thought of
it. I also contacted Ryde TAFE about the structure and topics in their
course. I finally chose a course that had been spoken of highly by one of
the permaculture designers.

The cost of a two week permaculture varied in price from around $650 up to
approx $1100 at the time (2001). The courses are not expensive when the
content, hours of instruction and meals are taken into account. However,
having never paid so much for a course before, (I obviously led a sheltered
life) I baulked at the price but I knew that I wouldn't find out what I
wanted to know, unless I bit the bullet and forked out the cash. Feeling
guilty for taking so much out of the family budget to do something that
seemed so indulgent and whimsical I finally took action, enrolled and sent
off a cheque for the deposit on the course of my choice. In hindsight the
cost was small for the knowledge, experience and enthusiasm I gained.

I chose to stay at the available on site accommodation (which cost extra)
so I could exchange ideas with the other students. The accommodation was
basic but provided everything necessary for our stay. The permaculture
gardens were lush and relaxing to be in and staying on site allowed me to
absorb information visually without even having to thinking about it.

As I explored the train carriage accommodation I was thrilled to find it
had a compost toilet. (No I am not weird - you'll understand once you're
immersed in the world of permaculture) I had previously not used a compost
toilet and wanted to know just how much odour they really exuded. 'Number
two' was always followed by a handful of wood shavings or sawdust - and no,
it didn't smell at all which was surprising. I was expecting some odour.
There was a lot of ventilation in the 'dunny' design which probably helped
to prevent any odours from lingering. It was a far cry from the nasty
experience of the old time 'can' dunnies. A garbage bin filled with sawdust
was used as a urinal in a separate outhouse 'tent'. This was easy for the
blokes to use but for us ladies it was a much more difficult exercise.
Trying to do a high squat, whilst leaning back a bit, and having a pee -
without touching the top edge of the bin, which was wet with urine, was a
bit of a feat. Especially first thing in the morning. Some of us girls
preferred the easier option of going behind a bush to pee instead.

Our teacher, Robyn Francis, introduced herself and gave us a bit of
background on how she came to be teaching permaculture. During the course I
came to respect the great wealth of knowledge and practical experience that
Robyn had and wondered how she ever managed to remember so much diverse
information. All the students introduced themselves to the class and we
each gave a brief outline of why we came to the course and what we intended
to do thereafter. There was quite a wide variety in the age, occupation,
experience and nationality of the students present at the course. There
were four students from overseas and students from three different states
of Australia.

Each student was given a folder with a schedule of the course programme and
an outline of the topic points. Alongside the topics there was space to
make notes. Some of us chose to make notes in a workbook as well. Robyn
preferred us to listen and participate instead of writing copious notes and
missing points of the lesson. The hours went from 9am to 5pm and every
second evening class continued from 6pm to about 9pm. These evenings
usually included slides and talks. There was also a library and videos
available for student use during after class hours.
If the class was looking a bit burnt out from information overload or the
afternoon 'slump' had hit Robyn would get us outside to participate in a
right brain activity to freshen us all up. These activities added fun and
comraderie to the group's dynamics. We also did an exercise which made us
look at the same view but in several different ways. Part of this exercise
also illustrated how different people notice different things within the
same piece of topography.

Guest teachers presented topics in their area of expertise and various
field trips took place. Practical permaculture principles were demonstrated
on site as the property where the course was held had a lot of working
permaculture systems in place. These included a compost toilet, greywater
system, swales, water systems, orchard, poultry and ducks, suntraps, herbs,
composting, etc. These on site systems and the various field trips made
learning the course topics much easier. They also demonstrated how various
permaculture concepts are brought together to build an efficient, adaptable
and ecological design that really works.

The guest teachers were just as interesting as our main teacher, Robyn. Not
just for the knowledge they imparted but for the experiences they shared
with us and their obvious passion for what they do. They all had slightly
different slants on permaculture which served to improve and widen our own
awareness of the subject.

Morning tea and lunches were provided each day and an evening meal every
second night. The meals were mainly vegetarian with some animal protein
dishes thrown in. The food was absolutely scrumptious (kudos to Robyn and
her daughter) and we all made pigs of ourselves for the first week! Then we
all got sick of stuffing ourselves and we cut back and ate normally. Some
of the foods came from the on site garden and we had the opportunity to
taste foods we had not previously been exposed to. Taro chips, soup with
jerusulm artichokes, yam bean, and rosella tea to name a few.

I am glad I decided to stay in the on site accommodation because the
conversations and interactions with the other students were rewarding and
at times, very funny. The span of knowledge between the students was wide
and discussions were often lively.

There were several group exercises which we had to participate in and some
of these proved to be quite challenging as it required good communication,
compromise and teamwork to complete them. Once we had successfully risen to
the challenge and found a solution we all felt rewarded. We also realised
just how difficult it can be to find a workable solution between people who
have very different ideas about how things should be done. Doing the site
design for a chosen property was quite memorable for the variances in ideas
and people's way of handling differences. This exercise demonstrated the
difficulties that can arise when developing a permaculture site is
undertaken with a group of people. It also demonstrated the inherently
flexible nature of permaculture design.

Overall, the permaculture course was very intense but not as difficult to
absorb as I and some of the others had feared. Information overload and
'brain burn' was common but we were eager sponges wanting to soak up as
much knowledge as possible. Some of the course content was just common
sense and common knowledge but it was presented in such a way as to show
how much better certain things worked when integrated thoughtfully into a
system. However, there was a lot of content that was very eye opening
indeed. We all wondered why nobody had ever taught us these vitally
important ecological laws and systems. Systems that are essential to our
own life were being destroyed or severely compromised each day and every
day. We all felt that permaculture should be taught in all schools,
agricultural and economic studies/degrees.

Even before the course was finished our brains were ticking over with all
sorts of plans and activities that we intended to implement once we got
back home.

At the end of the course we were all given a contact list so that we could
keep in touch and share progress if we wished. Everyone who attended felt
good about doing the course and felt that it was just the beginning to many
more doors just waiting to be opened. I for one, enjoyed all aspects of the
course and felt I had definitely received my money's worth. It answered the
questions I had not been able to answer previously. It also caused me to
ask and think about many more questions.

I returned home and began to implement the concepts I had learned. It has
increased my conviction that I am on the right track and each week the
passion for permaculture and all things sustainable grows. My awareness and
disdain for gratuitous consumerism also grows as well as my appreciation
for the natural world.

Other permaculture designs would vary with location and teacher skills but
all should cover the same basic outline. For anyone contemplating the idea
of doing a permaculture course my advice is to say "Go do it! What are you
waiting for? You'll be so glad you did."

PLEASE POST - PLEASE FORWARD
--------------------------------
EarthFlow Design Works, The Terra Foundation and The Center of Natural
Design Presents:
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
June 13-26, 2004
San Luis Obispo County, California
http://earthflow.com/courses2004/index.shtml
Join us, once again, at the Center of Natural Design with one of the finest
gatherings of Veteran Permaculture Teachers ever assembled!
The Center of Natural Design is proud to showcase a Consortium of Friends,
Internationally Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide
Sustainability Movement, including:
* Larry Santoyo, Director, the Center of Natural Design
* Scott Pittman, Director, The Permaculture Institute
* Toby Hemenway, Author, Gaia's Garden
* Jude Hobbs, Director, Cascadia Permaculture
* Joseph Kennedy, Co Founder, Builders without Borders
-and a growing list of other Very Special Guests...
SPECIALIZED CURRICULUM
This course has something for everyone... Curriculum includes inspiring
examples of sustainable land use and human ingenuity from around the world.
The core curriculum will, of course, include chapters 1-14 of the
Permaculture Designers' Manual and additionally, include new, updated and
expanded material: Eco-Literacy, Designing and Building your own
Home-Ecosystem, Natural Building Techniques, Food-Forests, Fossil-less
Fuels and Energy, Industrial Ecology, Patterns of Human Dynamics &
Community, Practicing Democracy, MicroVillage Networks, EcoUrbanism and more...
Also Field Trips, Design Exercises and a variety of Hands-on Learning
Opportunities.
LOCATION
The Center of Natural Design is located on California's beautiful Central
Coast. The 10-acre private retreat center features bio-diversity gardens,
day spa, guest house and campgrounds at the edge of centuries-old oak
woodlands and coastal chaparral ecosystems.
Extinct volcanoes, scenic coastline and nearby Wine Country truly
complement the beautyŠ Additional activities include: Hiking, Biking,
Kayaking, Yoga, BeachCombing, visit to the world famous Big Sur Coast,
award winning Wine Tasting and more...
TUITION & FEES:
$1050.00 - $1550.00 sliding scale
for full 2 week intensive -register for all or part.
Cost includes:
Tuition & Registration, Materials, Field Trips, Certification, Camping and
Meals.
Trade, Work-trade, and Group Discounts also available...
SPACE IS LIMITED Don't miss this opportunity!
For Information & Registration contact:
info at earthflow.com
805.528.3763 (9-5 Pacific Standard Time)
visit:
http://earthflow.com/courses2004/index.shtml