[Scpg] CenterOfNaturalDesign to open new doors

L.SantoyoDesigns santoyo at earthflow.com
Fri May 7 19:06:23 PDT 2004

Permaculture Friends,

As some of you may already know, the Center of Natural Design will be
closing operations, in Los Osos, at the end of this month. We have,
for now, lost our bid to buy the property as well as the opportunity
to renew our lease.  Plans are underway to open again (soon!) at a
new location.

In development over the past 5 years, the Center's grounds were
designed by Larry Santoyo and the buildings built by local craftsmen.
Together, master craftsmen, artisans, volunteers, students, employees
and apprentices, have created a  showcase of sustainable landscaping,
market gardening and natural building.  We have many, many people to
thank for making this place, (and our lives!) truly blessed and
beautiful...

For those of you who have visited the property, you already know of
the great natural beauty of this space: centuries-old specimen oaks,
magnificent sycamores and Monterey Cypress surrounded by chaparral
and riparian ecosystems. A natural spring waters the gardens, a vast
variety of birds, as well as coyote, deer, bobcat, rabbit, squirrel
and lizard, call this their home.

Over the last year, this place has become a favorite sanctuary for
local and international visitors.  Many of you know of, and have
experienced, the artists' and musicians' communities that have made
celebration here -legendary...

For those of you who have not yet made it out here, we will be
celebrating the life of the Center over the next few weeks; showing
our gratitude to the spirit that animates this place by finishing up
just as we started: tending to the gardens, working with rock and
earth, propagating plants and collecting seed of a final harvest here.

This may be the last opportunity you have to visit this place of
beauty and peace. The new owners have other plans for this property
and have no interest in maintaining our permaculture work or carrying
on the tradition of opening up this site to the public.

* If you would like to visit here in these last days of May, please
call or email to set up an appointment. We ask that if you come,
please offer up an hour or two of your time in helping us leave this
place with the full honors it deserves.

* You may also choose to make a tax-deductable donation to the Terra
Foundation and specify the Permaculture Training Scholarship Fund, in
support of our continuing work.

FUND RAISER/ PARTY!
* And finally, we will be holding a goodbye party and fund raiser at
The Center Saturday, May 22. $5 raffle tickets (3 for $10) with a
variety of prizes.  Please RSVP.
(contact us if you would like to sponsor a prize or sell tickets -thank you!).

Featuring live music by singer/songwriter Tawny Ellis and musician
Gio Loria of KneeGirl (http://www.kneegirl.com/ ), a slideshow
retrospective of the years here at the center, bocce, and an
all-around good time!  More info to follow...

Thank you all for your support and encouragement over the years and
especially, in these past few days.

With respect and gratitude,

Kathryn and Larry Santoyo
805.528.3763