[Scpg] New K-12 Solar Learning

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Jul 13 23:17:22 PDT 2004

.This is for all the teachers out there -- this sounds like a great
curriculum.  Molly

New K-12 Solar Learning

What kind of world are we leaving to future generations? One thing is
certain: it will be a world of daunting challenges, a world in which wise
stewardship, clear thinking, and leadership will be essential. Are our
schools preparing the children of today for these demanding roles?

Solar Learning is a new, innovative, and comprehensive environmental
education package that teaches critical concepts, knowledge, and skills
that students need in order to become the responsible citizens, stewards,
and leaders of the world that they will inherit. It meets California's
Grade K-6 content standards in science, history- social science,
mathematics, and English language arts.

Each of the powerful lessons in Solar Learning is centered around key
ideas and concepts of sustainability, wise design, responsibility, and
community, interwoven with dozens of content standards in English language
arts, science, history- social science, and math so we can help children
meet standards and prepare for a brighter future.

Developed in collaboration with Michael E. Sikes, Ph.D., a faculty member
in the Master's in Education Program of Antioch University Santa Barbara,
Solar Learning will be distributed by the Solar Living Institute in
Hopland, California. Check our website in early September for more
details. Workshops on this curriculum will also be available during
SolFest 2004.

http://www.solarliving.org/pdf/k12.pdf

=====
"This is truly the ultimate "right to life issue". A right to be born
without genetic malformations, a right to eat and drink non-radioactive
food, a right to live a normal life-span without the threat of early cancer
and the right to live without the ever present threat of nuclear war. Above
all, we are the curators of life on earth, we hold it in the palm of our
hand, a sacred trust with God. Let us take heed and become the true
curators for God."
                     --- Dr. Helen Caldicott

this list, visit: