[Scpg] DAWN SouthWest Workshops Tuscon 2004-2005

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jul 19 07:24:14 PDT 2004

If you've wondered where we have been, we are setting the stage for trying
lots of new things in the future  It meant a delay in getting the
announcements out to you, but we are happy to try to offer much more
variety and consistent monthly workshops in the future.  Please help us out
with some feedback where you feel it is appropriate.  Also if there are any
problems with the format let us know.  As always, should you choose not to
receive these announcements or your address changes, just let us know and
we will remove you from this list or make the changes you request.    If
you know someone who feels they should be receiving these or you would like
to recommend, please let us know or tell them to email and let us know.  We
try to make sure the list is complete but the computer gremlin likes it
here, so we may have missed someone we didn't intend to miss.  If you are
new to the list, drop us a line and let us know how we did.  Anyway...here
goes & HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON AT ONE OF THESE EVENTS!  Many thanks for your
interest and support.

Joelee Joyce
DAWN SouthWest
(formerly Out On Bale By Mail)
6570 W. Illinois, Tucson, AZ 85735
Tel: 520 624 1673 FAX: 520 882 8676 email: dawnaz at earthlink.net
<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn>http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn also
<http://www.greenbuilder.com/dawn>http://www.greenbuilder.com/dawn
Developing Alliances with Nature - Sustainable Living for a Better World

traditional Haida saying: "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."

DAWN SouthWest WORKSHOPS 2004-2005
This is your invitation to join in creative and thoughtful activities that
teach permaculture strategies: a way to live on the earth that takes care
of the earth, people, and can produce a surplus to share.  There will be a
concious effort made to introduce ways of thinking about the design of an
entire site, while building and gardening and conserving water and other
resources.  If this interests you as well as the fun of learning how to
build beautiful,creative, natural, low-cost extensions of the earth, please
do sign up and plan to have fun while building sustainably!  Check our
website at
<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn>www.caneloproject<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn>.com/dawn
for photos and more!

Please Note: More details will be added as we finalize details on these
events. Schedule in 2005 is tentative.  For updates & final schedule,
contact us, or sign up for our email announcements. Send your name, address
& email to
<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>dawnaz<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>@earthlink.net

TO REGISTER: USE REGISTRATION FORM below, print/copy, complete and mail
with payment, or  call 520 624 1673 or email
<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>dawnaz<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>@earthlink.net
with the information on the form, payment with credit card .  Please note:
Some workshops are also now co-sponsored with Pima Community College.

Work exchange and interns/residential stays welcome!   Work exchange hours
will be needed before, during and after the workshop so please contact us
early for arrangements to be mutually agreeable.  Interns will be longer
term and can include exchange for workshops.  Contact us for details.

  Starting up again this fall - Mark your Calendar!  Fourth Saturday of
Each Month:  Permaculture Brunch (BYOB) - GET DOWN TO EARTH/ MUD DAY!  Oct
- April:  10 am - 2:00 pm (earlier hours in warm weather) Site: SW Tucson,
call to sign up!   Get your hands in the mud and try out some earthen
plasters on walls made of straw bales, adobe & cob.  See demonstrations and
get some hands-on experience: DESERT GARDENING, WATER HARVESTING, LAND
RESTORATION PROJECTS, INCLUDING AFFORDABLE BUILDINGS & SMALL STRUCTURES
WITH STRAW BALE ADOBE, & COB.  EMAIL OR CALL TO SIGN UP. 520 624 1673 or
<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>dawnaz<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>@earthlink.net
Donations for materials, time & effort appreciated.

  We will also schedule special workshops for your group or organization -
to arrange, please call or email & allow 60 days lead time.

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshoplist.html#Anchor-to-47857>Water
Gardens: Build an OASIS in the Desert, Saturday, Sep. 11, 2004  8:00 -
noon  Cost:  $49 The essential  element of water, its sounds, its cooling
and soothing effect transforms your garden into a delightful, beautiful,
living ecosystem which will attract  birds & animals. Create your own
mesmerizing space for contemplation and relaxation.  This workshop will
show you how to build and maintain small scale, inexpensive and easy to
maintain water gardens. The container, equipment, water plants and
biofilter will be demonstrated, with several operating on this site in SW
Tucson  (Cost includes a free water plant to take home!)

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshops/natural%20paints.html>Natural
Paints & Finishes: Saturday, October 9, 2004, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Cost
$95  Learn about earth plasters & finishes and try out natural paints made
from only a few inexpensive ingredients such as  Clay - Natural Pigments -
Casein - Lime - Natural Oils; add fillers such as straw & mica and apply
them to almost any type of wall surface including latex, gypsum, cement,
sheetrock, or wood. For the artistic, the earthen plasters can be used to
create & sculpt whimsical and beautiful decorative elements on walls. Site:
SW Tucson

  Natural Building Home Tour, Saturday, Oct. 16, 2004, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm,
cost $25 per person (includes car pool to tour The Canelo Project, near
Sonoita), Saturday, October 16, 2004  Bring a picnic lunch & tour  3-4
beautiful and outstanding small structures built of straw and earth en
route to the tour hosted by Athena & Bill Steen of The Canelo Project,
creators of the some most beautiful and artistic uses of natural materials
for building. More details to come.  For more on The Canelo Project,
see
<http://www.caneloproject.com/>www.caneloproject<http://www.caneloproject.com/>.com

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshops/cob.html>Introduction
to Building with Natural Materials Saturday, October 30, 2004, 9:00 am to
5:00 pm, Cost $98/person   Adobe, cob, & straw bale, along with earth
plasters & finishes will be used in a hands-on workshop to build & sculpt
small structures, such as garden walls & benches. An overview of design ,
structural elements, protection from rain, solar orientation, shading,
sizing and scale will be given. Bring your own lunch. Site: SW
Tucson,  Co-Sponsored by Pima Community College (with members of Tucson
Permaculture group.) . Call (520) 624-1673 or email
<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>dawnaz<mailto:dawnaz at earthlink.net>@earthlink.net
for more information. Will also be offered in the Spring of 2005 (dateTBA).

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshops/cob.html>Sculpting
with Cob for Kids Saturday, Nov. 6, 2004 9:00 - 2:00 pm Cost $49 (1 kid
with 1 adult, $10 for each additional child or adult)  Be a mud-daubber for
a day! Use your hands and feet to mix Earth (clay and sand) and straw and
create and sculpt objects for your garden, school and playgrounds. Using
soil in your own "yard" or find it elsewhere is a treasure hunt, and they
come in lots of colors. We can build a big lizard, or a bench with dragon
feet, or make eggs (seed pellets) with flower seeds inside that can "hatch"
into a wildflower garden when the rains come. Come, bring a picnic
lunch,  and enjoy playing in the mud, whatever your age. Great fun! (It
does wonders for the soul of adults, too!)

Adobe Block & Small Structures, Saturday, Nov. 20, 2004, 9:00 am to 5:00
pm. Cost $95 per person  Learn about light clay-straw block, along with
earth plasters & finishes in a hands-on workshop to build & sculpt small
structures, such as garden walls & benches. Using unstabilized adobe, heavy
on straw, this material is light-weight and easy to construct, has
insulative qualities as well as being both sustainable and durable.  Also
see projects with stabilized adobe, which can require less maintenance. See
a myriad of structures built using this ancient technique in slide
show,  in contrast to conventional building techniques.

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshops/sb%20intro.html>Introduction
to Straw Bale Construction, Saturday, Dec. 4, 2004, with Athena & Bill
Steen of The Canelo Project, continuing on Sunday with Joelee Joyce of DAWN
SouthWest. Cost $125 per person. This is an introductory workshop that is
intended to picque your interest in this unique building technique. The
workshop  will be a mix of hands-on, discussion and slide shows, and will
be organized around the specific needs & questions of the participants. A
small, creative structure will be built by the group during this
weekend.----Site: Tucson, TBA

Small Projects with Bamboo, Saturday, Jan. 15, 2005 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Cost: $49 per person   Learn about this easy to grow, sustainable building
material.  This workshop will include hands-on construction of unique small
structures such as fences, gates, trellis/shade structures, garden
backdrops & decorative objects for  water gardens.  We will cover the
essentials of how to grow,  harvest  & store bamboo  for building,  how to
choose & cultivate non-invasive,  drought tolerant varieties &  tasty
bamboo shoots. Site: SW Tucson.

Permaculture Design Course In planning stages (FULL 72-Hour Course,
certification) Feb - Mar, 2004 - weekends TBA, with members of the Tucson
Permaculture Group.  Contact Dan Dorsey at 520 624 8030,
<mailto:dorsey at dakotcom.net>dorsey at dakotcom<mailto:dorsey at dakotcom.net>.net
for details.

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshoplist.html#Anchor-11481>Rainwater
Harvesting Systems Saturday, Feb. 12, 2005, 9:00am-5:00 pm. Cost $95 per
person   Collect rainwater to grow gardens, save groundwater, stop erosion
and restore the natural landscape. Learn how to build simple, in-ground
catchments which will slow the runoff and let the water inflitrate the soil
where you want a garden. We will also explore the possibilities of above
ground cisterns, using recycled drain culverts to capture rooftop runoff.
Site: SW Tucson (permaculture demonstration site using all these techniques).

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshops/breadoven.html>Earthen
Baking Oven Saturday, March 12, 2005, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm , Cost $75 per
person. Learn the basics of building and cooking in a natural, outdoor
earthen oven that doesn't heat up your kitchen. We will build/sculpt and
plaster the walls of an oven using clay & straw. Cooking with a wood-fired
clay oven can add a distinctive flavor to pizzas, bread, pies, turkeys and
casseroles. This is a great backyard project and introduction to working
with natural materials. The skills required to construct an oven are simple
and require no prior building experience. Site: SW Tucson, call 520 624
1673 for directions. Co-Sponsors: Pima Community College & DAWN SouthWest

Native Food Feast: Growing/Harvesting Edible & Plants & Herbs of the
Southwest, Saturday, April 9, 2005, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Cost: $49 per
person. Site: TBA  Traditional techniques will be used to collect and
prepare the bounty of the desert. Join us for native plant walk through the
desert, & identification of edible and medicinal plants. Learn about the
bounty of our Sonoran Desert and the mutually beneficial relationships, &
multiple uses of plants you might never imagine. Experience the delicious
dishes from foods grown in desert gardens. Some of the native plants likely
to be shared and sampled...Nopalitos (Prickly Pear Pads), Ironwood,
Mesquite & Palo Verdes pods, Mesquite tea, Saguaro fruit leather, amazing
herbs, beans, cholla bud, agave hearts...all as available seasonally.

Simple Easy Shade Structures for Humans , Animals and Plants, Saturday, May
14, 2005, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Cost: $49  Learn some great, practical, low
cost, easy to make techniques to shade & extend your outdoor living space
even in the hot weather!  Use of recycled and locallly available materials
to build seasonal shade "ramadas" and small window tretaments as well as
larger shade structures.

<http://www.caneloproject.com/dawn/dawn%20pages/workshoplist.html#Anchor-noon-35882>Water
Gardens: Build an OASIS in the Desert, Saturday, June 11, 2005  8:00 -
noon  Cost:  $50 The essential  element of water, its sounds, its cooling
and soothing effect transforms your garden into a delightful, beautiful,
living ecosystem which will attract  birds & animals. Create your own
mesmerizing space for contemplation and relaxation.  This workshop will
show you how to build and maintain small scale, inexpensive and easy to
maintain water gardens. The container, equipment, water plants and
biofilter will be demonstrated, with several operating on this site in SW
Tucson  (Cost includes a free water plant to take home!)

Composting, Mulching & Earth Worms, Saturday, July 9, 2005,9:00 am to noon.
Cost $49 per person. Learn the techniques for successful gardening in the
desert, how to conserve water and recycle your kitchen waste  & other
materials while creating an inch of soil in that barren looking back yard
that subdivisions are blessed with; or in any soil in this area.  If you
thought you could never garden or get trees for shade, join us to counter
that and put some earthworms to work.  They'll love you for it! Site: SW
Tucson permaculture site.  (Cost includes starter earthworm kit).

Early Morning Tour of Sustainable Gardens in Tucson, Saturday Aug 13, 2005.
7:00 am to noon. Cost $25 You will be delighted to find and learn how
others have built beautiful, productive gardens for food, herbs and
flowers, many from reclaimed sites.  It's possible, even in our desert
climate!   See sites that have been bladed and degraded and how determined
gardeners have used strategies that use & conserve rainwater for
irrigation, recycle, restore and return to the desert to its surprisngly
lush, productive natural state.  See beautiful and useful native planting &
foods grown, while they create beautiful sites for relaxation and
recreation.  Jointly sponsored with other  non-profit organizations (sites
& sponsors TBA)

Please note:  materials, resources and supplies for these workshops are
available for workshop participants at discounted prices at the  DAWN
SouthWest site.  We are developing the catalog, so please call or email for
more information, prices & details.  Love to have you visit to see for
yourself!

Other workshops possible:

Earthen Floors  9:00am to 5:00pm  Learn the basics to install and seal a
comfortable and beautiful earth floor. They can be built as part of new
construction or installed over existing concrete slabs. Done well, earthen
floors can be durable, easily maintained and can be finished simply or
highly polished. The course will also cover how to insulate using natural
materials and how to add thermal mass for solar gain and use with radiant
floor heating. Sponsored by DAWN Southwest with Athena & Bill Steen of The
Canelo Project as guest instructors. Site: TBA

Introduction to Permaculture , TBA 9:00am-5:00pm. A 1-day course will
introduce strategies for designing your own site for a sustainable future.
Learn to map the site, assess sun, wind, water drainage, cold air drainage,
artificial light, noise, and other important factors affecting a site. Make
seed pellets and plant tree seeds in tubes to take home and use at your own
site. See slides of rainwater harvesting, desert housing, appropriate
building techniques, gardening. Have fun and experience traditional food
harvesting techniques and sample deliciously prepared native foods. This
workshop will show you a new way to think about and observe living and
building in the desert. Site TBA

For incredible intensive workshops in natural building see
<http://www.caneloproject.com/>www.caneloproject<http://www.caneloproject.com/>.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------REGISTRATION
FORM---------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAWN SouthWest Workshops

Workshop Name __________________________________________date:______________

Fee paid :$____________

Name(s)_____________________________________________________

_______# in Party___Amount Paid $____________Check_____MO____

Credit Card____ Card# _____________________________

Expiration date:__________________________________

Address:_____________________________________________________

(Street Address, Apt. or Suite #)

(City, State, Zip Code & Country)

Required:Telephone #__________________________________________

Email:_______________________________________________________

(We may need to contact you if there are any changes, so please provide the
best information to reach you quickly)

NOTE: Many times we have people on a wait list so it is important that you
note our CANCELLATION POLICY : ( If you notify us 30 days or more before
event - up to 50% of fee may be refunded in an emergency situation - at
discretion of instructors); otherwise, if you are unable to attend, the fee
may be applied to a future workshop.

Special Needs:

other great workshops: & information

<http://www.caneloproject.com/>www.caneloproject<http://www.caneloproject.com/>.com