[Scpg] Cradle to Cradle Housing Design Competition

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jul 21 22:40:35 PDT 2004

Roanoke Regional Housing Network

In association with

GreenBlue

American Institute of Architects

Art Museum of Western Virginia, Roanoke Redevelopment Housing Authority,
Virginia Housing and the Environment Network, Roanoke Regional Home
Builders Association, AIA Blue Ridge, Habitat for Humanity - Roanoke,
Northwest Neighborhood Environmental Organization, Old Southwest
Incorporated, TBI Family Services, Total Action Against Poverty, Cabell
Brand Center, Blue Ridge Housing Development Corporation, Community Housing
Partners, Southface Energy Institute, Environmental Design + Construction
Magazine, Environmental Building News, Green at Work Magazine, Interiors and
Sources Magazine, Virginia Housing Development Authority, Virginia
Community Development Corporation, Southwest Virginia Chapter of the United
States Green Building Council,
  and City of Roanoke, Virginia
Presents
C2C Home

The First International Cradle to Cradle Housing Design and Construction
Competition offers our first opportunity to strive together with our peers
around the world in the design and construction industries toward
excellence in building the highest quality affordable and market rate
housing designs for a local community.  The designs are to be developed
around the principles and framework described in Cradle to Cradle: Remaking
the Way We Make Things by William McDonough FAIA and Michael Braungart
(<http://www.greenblue.org/>http://www.greenblue.org/).

Our first in the anticipated series of nationwide and international
implementation markets will be Roanoke, Virginia, USA (www.roanokegov.com).
Located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and considered by many to
be the cultural center of the Appalachian Region of the United States,
Roanoke is a city whose first golden age occurred during the development of
the American railroad. With an appetite for a resolution to the challenge
of rebuilding its neighborhoods with high quality affordable and market
rate housing designs and construction processes that will respect the
rights of future generations to pursue their goals, Roanoke looks forward
to a second golden age realized, in part, through this process of community
building.

The two part competition will allow students and professionals to compete
with their peers and offer solutions to the problem of designing buildable
and sustainable housing.  Winning design teams, representing accredited
architecture programs from around the world, will be offered paid
internships and room and board to participate in the process of building
their designs with the assistance of the local design and construction
community.  Hosted by local businesses and other organizations and
institutions, the selected design teams will take up residence in Roanoke,
Virginia for three months during the summer of 2005.

Professional designers will submit their solutions to be juried
independently from the student work.  The selected entries from the
international architecture community will be constructed by the local
construction community during 2005.  We anticipate building as many as
thirty of the selected entries.

The designs will serve to increase awareness of the availability and
limitations of the existing environmentally intelligent technologies and
strategies for building green, while introducing and implementing new
concepts for consideration and realization.  The selected designs will
provide solutions to the issues of context particularly as they relate to
existing historic homes and neighborhoods.  Several diverse and largely
prototypical sites in a variety of neighborhoods have been identified
within the City of Roanoke, Virginia.  Each will pose distinct challenges
and design opportunities.

Designs will be reviewed by an internationally acclaimed jury to include
William McDonough, Daniel Libeskind, Alexander Garvin, Sarah Susanka,
Randall Stout and others.  Building materials will be provided through the
support of our national corporate sponsors.  The sponsors will
simultaneously be encouraged to develop new products and manufacturing
processes also based on Cradle to Cradle.  Following the lead of companies
such as BASF and Shaw Industries, the suppliers, like the designers, will
be challenged to offer new solutions to the problem of providing the
highest quality building materials that are safe, affordable, and
environmentally sustainable according to the principles described in Cradle
to Cradle.

An increasing number of our local contractors and development groups have
already expressed an interest in building houses generated from this
exciting process.  Based on the model of the traditional American Barn
Raising, the community will partner with their guests and neighbors to
bring a transformation to the urban landscape and housing stock within the
City of Roanoke and enhance the general discourse on our strategies for
design and construction.

In addition to addressing issues related to excellence in housing design
and sustainability, a renewed community spirit will be a natural and
anticipated outgrowth of this effort.  Partnerships between and among
community groups, businesses, residents, designers, contractors,
environmentalists, community service providers, and government officials
will yield the greatly increased sense of community.

Work that begins in Roanoke, Virginia in 2004 and 2005 will be refined and
adapted for implementation for other markets in an effort to address issues
considered to be specific to each of these future project
locations.  Anticipating that cities throughout the country and ultimately
around the world will understand the value of this effort and look to host
the event in subsequent years, we will consider the project in Roanoke to
be the first in a series of such efforts.

For more information go to
<http://www.c2c-home.org/>http://www.c2c-home.org/  or send questions to
<mailto:info at c2c-home.org>info at c2c-home.org

.