[Scpg] October Organic Beekeeping Workshop Oct. 15-16 2004, sponsored by the Waldorf School of Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Sep 9 14:13:01 PDT 2004

Organic Beekeeping Workshop, Oct. 15-16 2004, sponsored by the Waldorf
School of Santa Barbara

The plight of the honeybee is not hers alone. Animal husbandry in general
has become a matter of production; faster, cheaper production of meat, eggs,
milk and honey. But our productivity is shadowed by a grim reality. Seeking
to fulfill our own needs, we underestimate and even ignore the needs of the
plants and animals that sustain us. We do so at our own peril. Beekeeping
practices that have become standard in the last hundred years have benefited
our comfort and economy, but do they benefit the bees?
In this workshop, we will take a look into the causes of the honeybee’s
drastic reduction, explore beekeeping methods that respect the colony as an
organism, and look into alternative methods of dealing with mites and foul
brood.
We invite gardeners and beekeepers of all experience levels to take a closer
look at the honeybee’s intrinsic needs. We will take stock of our beekeeping
practices and find ideas that will guide us in the future.

Gunther Hauk was teaching gardening to schoolchildren in Germany when he was
introduced to apiculture in the early 1970s. Soon after he began keeping his
own bees, varroa mites began to plague Europe. Since coming to the U.S. in
1996 to co-found and direct the Pfeiffer Center for Biodynamics and
Environmental Studies, he has continued to develop practices and innovations
for reviving the honeybee and strengthening her resistance to disease and
parasites. Despite never using medications against foul brood, he has not
had a single case in his colonies for over 20 years, and his hive
populations’ annual attrition is a fraction of what is normal today. The
author of Toward Saving the Honeybee, Gunther gives lectures and workshops
throughout North America.

Organic Beekeeping Workshop
The Vital Needs of the Honeybee Colony
with Gunther Hauk, Renowned beekeeper and co-founder and director of the
Pfeiffer Center for Biodynamics and Enrironmental Studies.

Join us as we take a look into the causes of the honeybee's drastic
reduction. We will explore beekeeping methods that respect the colony as an
organism, and look into alternative methods of dealing with mites and foul
brood.

When:
Friday, October 15 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and
Saturday, October 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where:
The Waldorf School of Santa Barbara
In the Greenroom
2300 Garden Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105

Who Should Attend:
Gardeners and Beekeepers of all experience levels!

Cost:
Friday evening only: $15 advance / $20 onsite
Saturday only: $65 advance / $75 onsite
Friday evening and Saturday: $75 advance / $90 onsite

To Register:
A PDF of the registration brochure is attached.
In addition, you may download  the registration brochure by clicking on the
link below:
http://www.waldorfsantabarbara.org/pdfs/beekeepingworkshop.pdf

For more information, contact:
Mary Thieme, Garden and Field Studies Teacher
Waldorf School of Santa Barbara
569-2558 ext. 638
[...]

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous