[Scpg] Joe Kennedy South Africa Appeal and Thank you for Book Tour, Buildings Without Borders in Sept 2004

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Oct 31 08:02:54 PST 2004

Dear Supporters of my Recent Book Tour,Buildings Without Borders

I have been going a mile a minute since my return from my book tour several
weeks ago, but wanted to drop you a quick note.  I deeply appreciate the
support and hospitality that you all showed me and my daughter.  It was a
successful tour, and exciting to connect with all the wonderful folks down
south.  Thanks again for all that you have done to support my work.

Warmest regards,

Joe

I have a compelling need, and am looking to you for support. I have been
asked to participate in the creation of child support center for children
orphaned by AIDS in South Africa with the Los Angeles-based non-profit
NextAid (http://www.nextaid.org) and local South African groups. I am doing
this through the vehicle of my new "social profit" organization Village
Renaissance (http://www.villagerenaissance.org)

As you may know, within a single generation AIDS has reached pandemic
proportions globally. There are now over 40 million people living with
AIDS. Of the 13.2 million children who have been left behind in the wake of
AIDS, 95% are in Africa alone, and every 14 seconds another child is faced
with losing his or her parent and taking on adult responsibilities because
of AIDS.

To begin the massive effort necessary to support these children in the
coming years, NextAid is committed to building a multi-purpose center for
Youth With A Vision, a South African non-profit organization, formed mainly
of teens orphaned by AIDS. Intended to show case green building design, the
earth-friendly center will serve as a template for many such centers
throughout Africa. The multi-purpose center will be a place where kids can
have a safe haven, where resources can be can be concentrated, where aid
can be efficiently distributed, where environmental education will be
emphasized, and where youth can reach their individual and collective
potential.

I have been asked to design this center in collaboration with NextAid,
Youth With a Vision and other local South Africa partners.  Our next step
is a strategic design session on the site of the center in Dennilton, near
Johannesburg.  Rose and my six-year old daughter Taya will be joining me.
During this design process, Rose will offer her perspectives, having been
raised in an orphanage until age 4.  Taya will have the opportunity to
engage with children less fortunate than her, and thus learn some powerful
lessons.

In the last six weeks, we have raised $6,000 towards the $7,500 dollars
necessary to fully fund this strategic next step in creating this
center.  I am looking to raise the remaining $1,500 in the next two weeks
(we leave for South Africa on November 17).  I humbly request your help so
that this important work can take the next step.

Any amount will help, and is fully tax-deductible.

Checks can be made out to Village Renaissance, and sent to
737 Mill Street, Santa Rosa, CA  95404

If you know of anyone who might be interested in this endeavor, please
forward this message on to them.  If you want any more detailed
information, please contact me.

I thank you for your support.

Warmly,

Joe