[Scpg] -Santa Barbara OrgGdn- Next meeting and Ongoing Events

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon Nov 1 18:03:58 PST 2004

SANTA BARBARA ORGANIC GARDEN CLUB NEWS
Nov 1, 2004

BACKYARD FOOD FOREST CLASS NEXT SATURDAY
Final reminder that our next meeting will be Saturday Nov. 6th at
10:00 AM on Backyard Food Forests.  E-mail lbsaltzman at aol.com for
directions to our house.

NOV 27: SUSTAINABLE SMALL CITIES PROJECT
Saturday Nov 27th we will be participating in a one day seminar from
9:30am to 6pm at Casa De Maria on how to make Santa Barbara a more
self-sufficient, sustainable city: "Overconsumption, Oil Depletion
and the Inevitable Road to Sustainability", a day conference with
films (e.g. "The End of Suburbia"), discussions and panels.  Guest
speaker will be Richard Heinberg, author of "The Party's Over: Oil,
War and the Fate of Industrial Societies" and "Powerdown: Options
and Actions for a Post-Carbon World."  For more info, go to
www.hopedance.org

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
Kindergarten teacher and Organic Garden Club member Judy Sims
continues to develop innovative programs in Organic Gardening for
her Kindergarten class at Monte Vista School in Santa Barbara. Judy
needs adult volunteers to help with her programs. Next Saturday
there will be an all day event described below:

"Monte Vista School, 730 Hope Avenue, Santa Barbara invites
volunteers to a Native Plant Nature Trail Planting Party on
Saturday, Nov 20 from 9-4.  We have dozens of new native plants to
get into the ground, along with weeding, pruning, and more.   Please
join the fun! There are also on-going community service and service
learning opportunities to support youth garden work, composting, and
recycling, as well as the school's "Adopt a Plot" landscaping. "

For arrangements/questions please contact M.V. teacher Judy Sims,
687-5333, or home at 687-3262, hjsims at earthlink.net

CHARITY
If you grow food and have surpluses think about a donation of fresh
fruits or vegetables to the Food Bank of Santa Barbara located at
4554 Hollister. Phone: 967-5741.

2005 MEETINGS:

January - "Bareroots." It's time to plant bareroot, decidious plants
from Roses to Fruit trees. Join us for a discussion of planting
techniques and best places to buy.

"Beauty is As Beauty Does" presented by Linda Buzzell and Landscape
Architect Owen Dell.

If you are willing to help plan a meeting or have specific ideas for
meetings or field trips please e-mail lbsaltzman at aol.com.

FALL PLANTING
Early rain and sunny days make this a perfect time to do fall
plantings.  Vegetables include: garlic, onions, chard, peas, fava
beans, cabbage family, carrots and lettuce are a good starting
point.  Island Seed and Feed carries decorative clovers, vetches,
and other nitrogen fixing plants in seed form.  These plants provide
color and green manure for your garden.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous