[Scpg] JAN 2005/Permaculture Mtg & Events Announcement List Santa Barbara Area

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jan 3 07:31:45 PST 2005

Hi Everyone-

It's the start of a new year for the Permaculture Video Discussion
Group.  This year we propose some new things taking the group in a much
more active direction.  We will continue with the monthly video discussion
meetings hosted by different members of the group, but will also make room
for other activities.

We have been inspired to do this in part by some of the speakers our Santa
Barbara Permaculture Network non-profit has brought to town this year,
including most recently Mark Lakeman and Starhawk.

Mark Lakeman's talk on the City Repair Project (cityrepair.org) in Portland
Oregon might point us to some small projects we can do in our own
community.  We had an amazing response to his work from audiences,
including city and county planners who heard his presentation.  He has a
simple, but very effective idea---build places where community can happen,
right in the hearts of our own neighborhoods.

Starhawk, with her books exploring earth-based spirituality, has in recent
years merged with permaculture, and now teaches Earth Activist Trainings in
Northern California (starhawk.org) with permaculture teacher Penny
Livingston, among others.  She has in this way brought a valuable
contribution to permaculturists---who value observation of nature before
design above all things---by demonstrating how ritual, around the cycles
and rhythms of the earth, can help us hone our observation skills.

So what new things do we hope to do this year?
    * Hold Skill Building Sessions
    * Have different members do mini teachings at the start of each
meeting.  Members can pick a permaculture topic they are familiar with or
want to learn, and propose to teach it to the group in time slots of 10-30
minutes. This will help all of us to learn the skill of teaching,
grassroots style.
    * Road trips. We've done these in the past, they are very valuable in
seeing what others in our region are up to. Our first road trip this year
is to L.A. Ecovillage on January 8 to participate in a Mark Lakeman/City
Repair inspired project, see below for more info.
    * Encourage members to be a part of the Santa Barbara Permaculture
website (sbpermaculture.org) with contributions to the new Interview,
Permaculture People, and a Permaculture Design Challenge sections.  This
website plans to evolve into a very dynamic, interactive place, where local
people and their work can be seen and heard.
    * Interact with the Esperanza School in Tijuana, Mexico. This will
depend on members interest, but is a chance to participate with a
permaculture landscape project implemented and designed by Bill Roley,
director of the Southern California Permaculture Institute, for this
wonderful school designed by innovative artist/architeict James Hubbell.
They can always use volunteer help, and already have regularly scheduled
volunteer times for people to visit.  It's our chance to learn about our
neighbors to the south, and hopefully learn some spanish so we can share
permaculture with our spanish speaking neighbors in Santa Barbara.

Finally, we recognize the human challenge those in Asia, India and Africa
are facing after the devastating Tsunami in December.  Permaculture has
always had teachers and designers who know how to do lots with little and
work where circumstances are tough.  We have been in contact with a few of
these people, and know ideas, money and support could be useful to
them.  We will, through our emails and monthly meetings, let you know how
you can contact or participate in what you might feel a better way for your
resources to go than conventional aide organizations.  After the time for
grieving will be a time for rebuilding and renewal, and as a group we could
help. Included below are some articles related to this topic.

Happy New Year!
Hope to see you at our January meeting-

Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>
Upcoming Schedule & Events:

Condensed list by date, more comprehensive descriptions follow:

1. Jan 8, Saturday, all day, Road Trip To LA Ecovillage for City Repair Project
2. Jan 13, 6:30-9pm, Thursday, Permaculture Video Discussion Group Meeting
3. Feb-March 2005, 7-9pm, Thursdays, SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition
Environmental Speakers Series. Speakers include, William McDonough, Brock
Dolman, Penny Livingston, Amory Lovins, Bob Cannard, many others, please
commit, circle dates on your calendars, this is an extraordianry effort by
the SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition worthy of our support.
4. Other Ongoing Events in Our Region
5. Websites
6. Articles

<<<<<<>>>>>
1. Sat January 8, 8am-8:30pm
South Coast Permaculture Guild Roadtrip to Los Angeles for City Repair
Project at LA Ecovillage

We are doing a roadtrip to participate in the City Repair
www.cityrepair.org  project LA EcoVillage has planned in order to learn the
intersection repair process by joining in and doing it!  These people are
serious, they plan on closing down their street to do a project similar to
those done in Portland. We will leave Santa Barbara at 8am and return (back
in SB) between 7 and 8 pm.
Please call 805-962-2571, or email sbpcnet at silcom.com to let us know if you
are coming.

Description of Event provided by LA EcoVillage:
10 AM - 4 PM CITY REPAIR Project, LA Ecovillage
At the Intersection of Bimini and White House Place in L.A. Eco-Village
We'll be finishing what we started when we got rained out on December
Wear old clothes and shoes, bring food to share. We'll be making music,
fun and change in L.A. The street will be closed off. If it rains, event is
cancelled. If you'd like to subscribe to the new City Repair LA listserve, go
to  http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/cityrepairla
L.A. Eco-Village  117 Bimini Place Los Angeles 90004 Lois Arkin
crsp at igc.org 213/738-1254

<<
2. Thursday, Jan 13, 6:30-9pm, meeting place TBA
Ongoing South Coast Permaculture Video Discussion Group

Covers Permaculture Principles and Practices in Santa Barbara, CA
Meeting 2nd Thursday of the month at members houses.
This will be an interactive meeting showing videos covering many parts of a
lecture series on Permaculture Design by Bill Mollison, one of the founders
of Permaculture. Audio tapes, other permaculture videos, slides and
discussion each month.
For more info and directions contact Margie Bushman 805-962-2571 or
sbpcnet at silcom.com, www.sbpermaculture.org

<<
3. February-March 2005
SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition Environmental Speakers Series
Distinguished guests featured in new environmental education series
sponsored SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition.  Weekly panel discussions
will bring together a bevy of distinguished guests, local leaders and
students who are working in different ways to make this new paradigm come
alive.The class meets on consecutive Thursdays in February and March from 7
to 9 p.m. in Thornton Auditorium at the Wake Center, 300 N. Turnpike
Rd.Santa Barbara CA ,except for Mar. 31 when it meets in Room 1004 in
UCSB’s Girvetz Hall. Admission is free and is open to the public on a
first-come, first-served basis.
SPEAKERS & THEIR TOPICS
FEB. 10: “Water, Ecology and Healthy Communities.”
Len Duhl, Professor of Public Health, UC Berkeley, Founder of Healthy
Cities Initiative
Michael Lerner, President and Founder of Commonweal, MacArthur Fellow and
Author.
FEB. 17: “Local Economies and Democratic Decision Making.”
Katy Mamen, International Society for Ecology and Culture.,Adam Wolpert,
Occidental Art and Ecology Center.
FEB. 24: “Seven Generations: Thinking of the Future”
Tiahoga Ruge, Mexican Minister of Sustainable Education and Development.
Matthew Fox, President, University of Creation Spirituality.
MAR. 3: “The Wisdom of the Watershed: Natural Flows and Natural Design.”
Brock Dolman, Occidental Art and Ecology Center,Penny Livingston,
Regenerative Design Institute.
MAR. 10, “Troubled Waters: Politics and Ecology.”
Dame Anita Roddick, Author, Philanthropist.,Robert Wilkinson, Water Policy
Consultant.
Carolee Krieger, California Water Impact Network.
MAR. 17: “Aquatic Cycles and Planetary Health.”
Richard C. Murphy, Ocean Futures Society. ,West Marrin, Author, Universal
Water.
MAR. 24: “From Cradle to Cradle: Creative Pathways to Sustainable Living.”
William McDonough, Architect and Professor.,Amory Lovins, The Rocky
Mountain Institute.
MAR. 31: “The New Alchemy: Transforming Water and Soil.”
Dr. Chiu-Nan Lai, Director, Lapis Lazuli Light Institute,Bob Cannard,
Restoration Ecologist/Organic Farmer
For more information please contact:SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition
sbccssc at yahoo.com, www.biosbcc.net, or Shawn Jacobson 805-252-3031 Leif
Skogberg 805-886-6251

<<<
4. Other Ongoing Events in our Region:

<<
January 14, 15, 16

Consensus Decision Making in Intentional Communities
with Tree Bressen
<http://www.treegroup.info/>
$150, pre-registration required.
Fri,  7:30 pm
Sat.,10 am - 5 pm
Sun.,10 am - 5 pm
L.A. Eco-Village  117 Bimini Place Los Angeles 90004 Lois Arkin
crsp at igc.org 213/738-1254

Feb 21-April 15
Fruit Trees For Schools Tour San Diego-Eureka CA
By getting students and their teachers in touch with the Earth by planting
fruit trees we create a catalyst to transform the schools in California
into physical models of sustainability. Fruit trees begin to help transform
social paradigm of scarcity to abundance.
Contact Blair Philips stillwater at commonvision.org, Deanna
Moore  jodi at commonvision.org http://www.commonvision.org/

<<
March-May, Weekends
2005 PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATE COURSE: Los Angeles, California
EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability
DATES:
FIRST TWO WEEKENDS OF MARCH, APRIL & MAY 2005
PART ONE  March 5-6 and March 12-13
"Fire, Water, Earth & Air... New Ecology and Sacred Geometry":

Introduction to Permaculture and Natural Pattern Understanding
The first two weekends will cover an in-depth introduction to Permaculture
Design & Ethics of Earth Care with a special presentation on reading the
patterns of the landscape. A simple foundation for understanding indicators
of sustainability and other patterns of the natural world.

PART TWO  April 2-3 and April 9-10
"Food, Water, Shelter & Energy... Earth-Friendly Techniques & Technologies":

Sustainable Resource Management, Building the Home Ecosystem.
The second part will focus on: easy techniques for designing, remodeling &
building a complete green home, alternative energy & fuels, restorative
agriculture and natural building, as well as learning ancient techniques
for earth stewardship and land restoration.

PART THREE   May 7-8 and 14-15
Creating Community... Self-Reliance, Eco-Village and Eco-Economics:

EcoVillage Design and Community Celebration
The final sessions will feature: community building & "creating a sense of
place," patterns of human dynamics, intentional communities & eco-villages.
We will also learn strategies for creating community-wide sustainability
and methods for finding our own right-livelihoods.  Design team
presentations and awards. Very special MotherEarth Day celebration and
talent show!

Six Weekend Intensive Features:

Teaching Team is led by LARRY SANTOYO, Director, EarthFlow Design Works &
The Center of Natural Design with very special guests including: JUDE
HOBBS, Director, Agro-Ecology Center; TOBY HEMENWAY, Author, Gaia's Garden;
SCOTT PITTMAN, Director, The Permaculture Institute, PENNY
LIVINGSTON-STARK, Founder, Regenerative Design Institute -with other local
experts and guest speakers.

LOCATION
The Los Angeles Eco-Home is an ongoing living research center that
demonstrates ecological living in an urban environment.  The EcoHome is a
restored and retrofitted California style bungalow (circa 1911) that shows
how simple but wise property improvements can make your home warm, friendly
yet environmentally sound and healthy. www.EcoHome.org

Other venues and field trips will take us in and around Los Angeles...

HANDS ON LEARNING
Design Exercises, Observation Skills, Innovative Gardening Techniques,
Natural Building Techniques, Sustainable Landscape Construction, Art in the
Garden & More...

NEW & EXPANDED CURRICULUM
This course meets all requirements for Certification and also includes new
and expanded material including:  Natural Building with Cob, Straw,
Earthbags, Bamboo, Alternative Fuels, Human Dynamics, Deep Ecology,
Eco-Urbanism, MicroVillage Development & More...

MOTHER'S EARTH DAY CELEBRATION
In our final session, students will host a community Eco-Trade Show, Crafts
& Culinary Fair... featuring very special entertainment with the infamous
Talent Show...

REGISTER FOR ALL OR PART
Each weekend is designed to build on what we have learned in the previous
sessions -but any day can be easily attended on its own.  Full attendance
is required for Certification.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
David Silverstone at  (323)465-7653 or email David at GreeningPlanet.Com.
In cooperation with:  Greening Development and Consulting, EcoHome,
HopeDance Media, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network , The Terra Foundation,
The Permaculture Institute, PatternLiteracy.com, EarthFlow Design Works,
South Coast Permaculture Guild
<<
June 2005, 7th International Permaculture Conference/Convergence, Slovenia
PERMACULTURE INSTITUTE of EUROPE Istedgade 79 - 1650 København V - Denmark
Tlf: +45 3331 5694 - Fax: +45 3325 7179 - Email: vestergror at dk-online.dk
www.Permaculture-Europe.org - www.IPC7.org

<<<
5. WEBSITES:

<<
American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association
To promote rainwater catchment systems in the United States
http://www.arcsa-usa.org/southwest/

<<<
6. ARTICLES:

<<
Beyond Relief http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/001835.html
Leapfrog Nations - Emerging Technology in the New Developing World

What if relief and reconstruction efforts aimed not just to save, but to
improve the lives of the victims of this week's disaster?

This might not seem like the time to look ahead. The situation all around
the Indian Ocean is grim: the bulldozers are digging mass-graves for as
many as 100,000 bodies; at least a million people are homeless, hungry and
utterly destitute; clean water and sanitation facilities don't exist;
disease is beginning to break out; and relief is still far off for too, too
many people. This is a full-blown global crisis.

But this is exactly the right time for foresight.

For one thing, history shows that the world tends to lose interest in
disasters in developing world once people stop dying in large numbers. If
we don't think now about our commitment to helping these communities
recover and rebuild after the immediate crisis has passed, we never will.
more, go to article website...

Restoring Mangroves To Know It for the First Time
– Place, Environment and Ecology

December 29, 2004 http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/001835.html
Restoring Mangroves
To Know It for the First Time ­ Place, Environment and Ecology

Coastal forests are key to preventing future disasters and restoring life
and livelihood around the Indian Ocean. more, go to article website

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Architecture for Humanity and World Changing Team Up for Tsunami Relief
Non-profits collect funds to aid local rebuilding efforts
—By Brendan Themes, Utne.com
http://www.utne.com/webwatch/2004_179/news/11521-1.html

December 30, 2004 Issue

On December 26, a series of earthquakes off the coast of Northern Sumatra
caused tsunamis that left at least 75,000 dead and one million homeless in
nine surrounding countries. Though numerous aid organizations quickly
sprang into action, the existing efforts have been inadequate in the face
of such widespread and total devastation. In an attempt to catalyze
reconstruction of the many wrecked homes and public facilities, the
nonprofit organization Architecture for Humanity (AFH) has set up a fund
through their Web site. AHF plans to use local labor in all aspects of the
reconstruction, creating a cost-effective micro-economy that helps
revitalize affected areas while avoiding unwieldy overhead costs. World
Changing, a technology news site with a focus on environmentally and
socially conscious innovation, has joined in the effort to promote the
site, providing publicity and guidance to AFH's rebuilding effort. Both
organizations have vowed to direct 100% of donated funds to local efforts,
using none of the money to cover operational and administrative costs. The
revitalization effort is sorely needed in countries such as Sri Lanka,
India, Indonesia, and Thailand, where many of the tsunami's victims were
already living in desperate poverty before the tragedy struck. more, go to
website

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order
to grow." - Anonymous