[Scpg] Cuyama Learning Center Santa Barbara NEEDs Help and Support

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Jan 8 05:49:45 PST 2005

Subject: A Birth Announcement

  Please pass this announcement on to other individuals groups and
organizations for broad distribution

We are very pleased to announce the birth of the Cuyama Learning
Center.  This learning center was born during this past fall in the Cuyama
Valley, just 30 miles east of Santa Barbara.  Wilderness Youth Project has
found its wilderness home for a camp, a place to host a permaculture
designed farm site, and a locale for many people and organizations to
gather and learn from one another and from the land.

  **If you would like to receive future updates, event and program
announcements pertaining to the Cuyama Learning Center, please send your
email address to clc at wyp.org.

The Where: The Cuyama Learning Center (CLC) is on a large ranch surrounded
on three-sides by national forest, spanning 3,700 to 3,900 feet in
elevation in a remote yet accessible area in the shadows of Mt. Abel and
Mt. Pinos.  This land has been secured thanks to the generosity of a local
family foundation. We have initiated a capital campaign to begin developing
this site to be both a youth and family camp and a working permaculture
designed farm.

  The Why: The CLC is dedicated to becoming a place where youth and adults
are mentored in nature and life skills, life awareness, mentoring skills,
vocational apprenticeships, and eventually where other organizations and
groups may find respite, rejuvenation and assistance in accomplishing their
own missions.

  Our Vision: The Cuyama Learning Center is a place where people and land
can feed and honor one another in an authentic learning journey of
stewardship, vitality, intactness, and balance.

  Our Purpose: To be in and inspire a state of constant learning where the
lessons gained are shared through right action and the mentoring of the
inheriting generations to bring about vitality in the land and ourselves.

  Our Principles:  We have seven core principles that keep the light on our
purpose clear and bright as we move toward it.  Please put your own “I”
into these principles to see how they articulate individually through you:

  1)      We (I) remember through our(my) actions that stewardship allows
all life to continue in a state of cooperative interdependence.

2)      We (I) acknowledge that children embody and reflect many of the
aspects of what we (I) model.

3)      We(I) strive to understand the tracks of the past, the realness of
the present, our impact on the trails of tomorrow, and the hopeful picture
of how we think things ought to be.

4)      We (I) live as though the “picture of how things ought to be” is
already true.

5)      We (I) continue to move with “doing the best we(I) can with what
we(I) have now.”

6)      We (I) nurture relationships with the things we(I) wish to know and
understand.

7)      We (I) strive to understand and appreciate the origins of what
sustains us (me).

The How: We are in the planning process (and some work has already begun)
of developing, caretaking and preserving aspects of this land to foster
ecologically integration where our presence and that of the youth and
families will bring vitality to this unique canyon.  We will learn the
origins of many things that sustain us with our gardens and orchards which
will supply fruits, nuts and vegetables.  The animals will provide meat,
eggs, butter, milk, cheese, wool, skins, bone tools, and fertilizer for the
plants.  The artesian spring provides gravity fed fresh water where you can
drink like a bear on hands and knees right from the water’s flow.  All our
shelters will draw from the forefront of earth materials technology by
using straw bale, cob, recycled materials, and will be built in a way that
honors the lay of the land and its inhabitants.  The community fire of this
special place ignites through the diversity of all the individuals who join
with us in building this special learning center for many generations yet
to come.

The When: We have several projects at the CLC that are already underway,
more that will unfold in the near future and others are in our long term
strategic planning.  Currently at CLC, we are operating family camps, teen
weekends, cultural mentoring, and vision fast initiatory passages for
teens.  We will soon begin the planting of our gardens and orchards, a cob
construction workshop is being planned for September 2005, we will have
summer residential camps for youth this coming summer, and we will be
offering a residential internship here this summer for young adults.  You
will have to get involved to see what exciting ideas are in-store over the
coming years

HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?

  There are many ways to involve your skills, learn some new ones, and
contribute to this experiment in learning from the unique place in which
you stand.  Familiarize yourself with our vision, purpose and principles to
see how your unique gifts may be offered to our “potluck” of diverse
people, skills, and understandings.  The following projects may need your
involvement:

Receive our regular email updates and event and program announcements by
sending your email address to clc at wyp.org.  We will assume you do not wish
to receive further emails about the CLC unless we get an email request from
you.

)
Get your hands in the dirt
help us prepare the site, plant trees and
gardens among many other tasks during one of many work weekends listed
below.  RSVP TODAY to clc at wyp.org or call 805.886.7239 to receive specific
details:

January 14,15, 16 – Preparing irrigation systems and  prepping to plant
hundreds of trees in February

February 4, 5, 6 - Planting a plethora of orchard, shade, and ornamental trees

following months TBA

Attend any of our bimonthly development meetings held the 2nd Friday and
4th Saturday of each month at 11am at the CLC.  Contribute to the design,
administrative development, and sustainability planning of the site.

Offer your skill sets in a unique way (i.e. Permaculture design,
construction, solar technology, green thumbs, food storage and
preservation, etc.)

Attend and/or help us market the cob construction workshop in September
(details will be available in a few weeks)

Administrative support.

Join our capital campaign fundraising committee, and/or contribute to,
and/or open a door for other people to contribute to this modest
campaign.   The purpose of the capital campaign is to build a community
hall and kitchen, administrative building, eco-cabins, workshop, and other
infrastructure.  Our goal is to raise $850,000 for the full development of
the facility.

Donate goods, services, farm equipment to the project.

Join with us in this unique experiment in learning.  Together we will offer
our successes and failures to the next generations as rich humus in which
to plant their seeds of life.  Let us celebrate
the Cuyama Learning Center
is born!!!

In Peace and Appreciation,

  Warren Brush

Founding Director, Wilderness Youth Project

Cuyama Learning Center, California

January 1, 2005