[Scpg] Eco-Home Open House Feb. 27 LA

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Feb 8 11:00:49 PST 2005

Hello all-

The next Eco-Home Network Member Open House Forum is on the horizon - and it's
at MY house!!!  It will be on Sunday, February 27th, from 1-4pm, and this one
will be in conjuction with TreePeople.

My house is a very small bungalow in Altadena that I bought 5 years ago and
have gradually done things to to make it more energy efficient, and more
liveable.  It has some fairly normal things, like blown in cellulose
insulation
in the walls (you can't see this), insulation and a radiant barrier in the
attic (this you can see), real linoleum flooring in the kitchen, recycled soda
bottle carpet in the guest room. drought tolerant landscaping, compost bins,
etc.  Some of the more interesting things are the whole house fan, the
greywater system, and, my favorite, the Nexwood deck (there well be flyers and
samples from Nexwood available).  We (since I bought the house I got married)
also have installed solar panels with a "net metering" set-up, and our
installer, Wade Webb, plans to be at the Open House to answer any questions.
(There's more stuff - see the flyer or website.)

Those of you who are fairly currently paid up members should receive your
flyer
in the mail in the next week.  The flyer and color pictures are on our website
<http://www.ecohome.org>www.ecohome.org
Directions: from the 210 freeway in Pasadena (the 134 east turns into the 210)
exit Lake Ave. and go north (toward the mountains) for 2.5 miles.  At the
light
at Mariposa, turn left.  Go a little over 4/10 mile to Santa Anita and turn
right.  The address is 2671 Santa Anita, in the middle of the block on the
left.  Thomas Guide Pg. 535 J-5.  DO NOT GO TO ARCADIA, unless you're visiting
someone else!!  If you do get lost, you can call me at (626) 345-9596.

We will also be having a raffle of organic beer and wine left from the
Sustainable Living Award fundraiser, so come see the house and go away with a
bottle or six!

Because of the large TreePeople membership we need to limit attendance (to
150!) and are using an RSVP system: please call Peter Morgan, of
TreePeople, at
(818) 623-4873 to reserve your spot.  I hope you can make it!

-Jan

P.S. Please keep in mind that this is an old (1921) house that needed a lot of
work, and is still very much a work in progress.  And, I promised my husband I
wouldn't stress out about making everything perfect and spotlessly clean
(which
is impossible anyway with big dogs).

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous