[Scpg] ethnobotany courses in MIchigan

Joan Stevens mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 10 09:36:17 PST 2005

Hello fellow ethnobotanists, educators, and friends,

Now is the time to start considering your summer plans and I would like
to offer you two suggestions. I am teaching a 5 credit immersion course
in Ethnobotany for the University of Michigan at their Biostation
(UMBS) from May 15, 2005 until June 11, 2005. This course was developed
by Dr. Dick Ford of U of M back in the 1990's and has remained one of
the core course in our nation for training ethnobotanists, many of whom
are well known members of SEB and the Society of Ethnobiology. After
teaching with Dick for a year, he decided to ask me to take over the
course in 2004, so if you would like to join the ranks of students
trained in global, North American, Great Lakes, and Anishinaabek Indian
ethnobotany, check out EEB 455 at
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/umbs/course/spring/   If you act soon, there
are many scholarship options to ensure this course is both affordable
and transferable to your undergraduate or graduate institution.

-- Type: image/tiff
-- File: image.tiff

-- Type: image/tiff
-- File: image.tiff

There is another option for those who cannot manage a 4 week class, and
that is a 5 day mini-course in August, from August 17-21. Here is the
summary of that new course.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/umbs/courses/mini/august/

  Title:
  Cultural Uses of Plants in the Great Lakes Region (Applied
ethnobotany)

  Do you want to learn how to field identify some of the Great Lakes
most culturally useful plants with your eyes, nose, taste buds, and
hands? Each day we will explore the life cycles, habitat, and ecology
of the particular plants I want to get you to know well. After
identifying the organisms in English, Latin (scientific classification)
and Ojibwe, we will use sustainable harvesting practices informed by
the traditional ecological knowledge of the Anishinaabek Indians
(Odawa, Ojibwe, Cree and Potawatomi) to gather the plant and fungi
materials we need to take back to UMBS's laboratory. Here, you will
perform hand's on experiments where you will learn how to work with the
plant & fungi products to produce inquiry-based and experiential
learning consistent with Michigan's K-12 benchmarks and standards that
can be taken back to your family, classroom, governmental workplace, or
community. The focus of this course is for educators, tribal employees,
and governmental workers, but anyone is welcome. This class should
qualify for 3 continuing education credits for K-12 educators needing
science (including integrated science), Michigan history/social
studies, and multicultural perspectives credits for No Child Left
Behind professional development for highly qualified teachers.

  Scott is an Odawa & Ojibwe teaching Ethnobotany EEB 455 in the Spring
term here at UMBS and an Assistant Professor of Biology at Ferris State
University where he teaches Biology Education classes for both
Elementary and Secondary Education, while advising the BIOLOGY
EDUCATION Majors (High School Teachers) and is developing FSU's new
Integrated Science Teaching major and minor for K-12 educators.

I hope to hear from some of you,

Scott

  Scott Herron, Ph.D
  Assistant Professor