[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} Upcoming Events

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Wed Feb 9 12:45:47 PST 2005

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

> Knit-Together (and crochet too!)
> The Greening of Cuba with special quest speaker Rachel Bruhnke of Global Exchange.org

KNIT-TOGETHER (and crochet too!)
Cast-away with us

WHEN:  Tuesday, February 15
TIME: 6:00  - 9:00  pm
FEE: Free for knitters and crochetters.
Please bring some healthful snacks or drink to share.

"Creativity, spirituality and meditation are all linked" ~ Peg Butler ~

Join us for our monthly knitting circle gathering.  It's the perfect way to relax, meet others, practice your technique and skills, share favorite patterns or show off your latest creations.

SHARE: If you've made an extra hat, scarf, or sweater you don't need, you can leave them to be donated as gifts for the less fortunate.

THE GREENING OF CUBA
Cuba is the only country that has successfully passed through its own artificial "peak oil"

WHEN:  Saturday, March 5
TIME: 6:30  - 9:00  pm
FEE:  $5-$10 donation
Event includes a potluck.  Please bring some healthful snacks or drink to share.
Space is limited so please RSVP
www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/greeningofcuba.htm

"With 80% of the food grown organically in or around metro areas by regional co-ops, using animals as workforce, mules and oxen, will make Cuba a virtual paradise compared to the collapse of the western agriculture after peak oil."
~ Michael C. Ruppert, From the Wilderness ~

EVENT DESCRIPTION: Film followed by slide show presentation and Q & A session by Rachel Bruhnke
Because of their response to this dire situation, the Cubans have been praised for being the number one country in the world for their sustainable practices by the United Nations.  Cut off from trade by the United States, in 1993 Cuba lost its critical oil imports from the Soviet Union almost overnight. The country had to learn to do without it, and today has lessons for the rest of the world about how it can be done.  Learn how they managed to do it and what lessons could be taken from their experience with agrarian, low energy, cooperative lifestyle.

FILM DESCRIPTION: The Greening of Cuba video profiles Cuban farmers and scientists working to reinvent a sustainable agriculture, based on ecological principles and local knowledge rather than imported agricultural inputs. In their quest for self sufficiency, Cubans combine time-tested traditional methods with cutting edge bio-technology.

SPEAKER'S BACKGROUND: Rachel Bruhnke received a Masters of Science Degree in 2001 in Environmental Systems Engineering for her research on renewable energy policy in Cuba. Subsequently, she directed the Eco Cuba Exchange program at the NGO Global Exchange (www.globalexchange.org) , based in San Francisco, California.

The program linked US and Cuba professionals in the areas of sustainable management of natural resources and environmental protection. Ms. Bruhnke was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Honduras for 3 years, has studied and worked in Peru, Ecuador and Costa Rica, and has traveled extensively through Latin America. She also holds a bilingual elementary teaching credential and is the mother of a Cuban American daughter. Ms. Bruhnke is currently working toward a PhD from the University of Havana, Cuba, researching the potential for US-Cuba trade in the environmental marketplace.

Look for these events (and more!) coming soon:

MARCH:
> BIODIESEL WORKSHOPS  (with surprise guest!!!!)
> THE FUTURE OF FOOD

MAY:
> COBOVEN WORKSHOP with Ray Cirino

TBA:
> PTF FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

PTF will be participating in:

> OPEN HOUSE FOR EDUCATORS KIDSPACE PASADENA / February 17th  3:00-5:30 p.m  Event is FREE
> EARTH DAY, April 23rd @ DEBS PARK
> BIKE SUMMER LA 2005 / June 26th.  Join bicyclists for an "Eco Ride" and more!

PATH TO FREEDOM
A Sustainable Living Resource Center
Jules Dervaes (founder)
631 Cypress Ave