[Scpg] Permaculture Meeting WedMarch 2, 6:30-9pm Monte Vista School SAanta Barbaar

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Mar 2 07:38:31 PST 2005

MARCH 2005/Permaculture Video Discussion Mtg. & Events Announcement List
Santa Barbara
Hi Everyone-
The monthly permaculture video discussion meeting for March will once again be
moved to an earlier date to make sure we can all attend the excellent
environmental speaker series SBCC Students for Sustainability Coalition are
sponsoring every Thursday throughout the Spring of 2005. Our meeting will be
on Wednseday, March 2, 6:30-9pm, once again at the Monte Vista Elementary
School, directions and address below.
This month's video will be Farming with Nature, Permaculture in the Austrian
Alps, a very popular video with our video discussion group and other
audiences.
It takes us to another challenging climate for permaculture to prove itself
in. Instead of the arid high desert of New Mexico we viewed last time, we go
to a cold, mountainous region of Austria---can the same set of ecological
design principles work here? In this environment Sepp & Veronica Holzer on
their Krameterhof farm (www.krameterhof.at) have for over 39 years been
growing
everything from apricots to kiwi fruit, peaches to wheat at high altitude
in the
mountainous Lungau region, an area classed by European Union directives as
unfit for agricultural cultivation due to steep gradient and poor soils,
and do
it without the use of ANY fertilizers or pesticides!
Also an exciting part of this months meeting will be a discussion of the
Common
Vision Fruit Tree Orchard Planting that will take place at Monte Vista
School on
Thursday, March 10. This is our chance to learn ALOT. This will be skill
building at it's best, the Common Vision group has so much skill and knowledge
to share, all we have to do is show up and participate with this project that
will be Judy Sims legacy, she retires this year, so let's help out.
The meeting will follow our regular agenda listed below, but will be open to
anyone that wants to do a skill building session of 10-15 minutes. Email
us if
you have a topic in mind.
* 6:30-7pm Gathering & Food Sharing (bring your own cup if you can)
* 7:15-7:30 Announcements (what's going on in other organizations you
belong
to)
* 7:30-8 Share & Tell (events you've attended, projects you been involved
in)
* Skill Session/Teach?
* 8-9pm Video & Discussion

Below are directions to the meeting and other events and happenings in our
region.

Hope to see you March 2nd-
Margie Bushman

Directions to Monte Vista School:
Monte Vista School, 730 Hope Avenue (cross street is State Street, near La
Cumbre Plaza)
located up from State Street (towards mountains), about half a mile, on the
right. Curb and parking lot OK for parking at this time of day. Look for
Room
#1, located just at the top of the school entrance stairs, turn right and go
through two gates, (either side of staff garden patio, behind staff room), to
Kindergarten yard and back door of classroom.