[Scpg] Common Vision Fruit Trees and School Tour 2005 coming to Santa Barbara Thurs March 10 Thurs. 8:30-2pm

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Mar 8 06:18:20 PST 2005

Common Vision Fruit Trees and School Tour 2005 coming to Santa Barbara
Thurs March 10 Thurs. 8:30-2pm
Fruit Trees For Schools Tour Planting Day and Celebration Monte Vista
School Santa Barbara
By getting students and their teachers in touch with the Earth by planting
fruit trees we create a catalyst to transform the schools in California
into physical models of sustainability. Fruit trees begin to help transform
social paradigm of scarcity to abundance.
Part of a Larger Tour of in California Schools Organized by
www.commonvision.org
Common Vision Fruit Trees and School Tour 2005 coming to Santa Barbara
Thurs March 10 Thurs. 8:30-2pm

The complex cultural diversity of the Unites States from often scattered,
distant origins has created a feeling of rootlessness in today?s society.
Ideas of indigenous cultures, North American and beyond, are rarely
integrated into the way we provide food for ourselves, educate our
children, and care for our land. Today we find the Earth bruised and the
very fabric of our culture unweaving. Fruit Tree Tour is a Common Vision
project empowering urban youth through collective effort.
Common Vision is a solution-focused nonprofit organization whose mission is
to cultivate ecological awareness and respect for the Earth while
generating social and environmental changes towards sustainable lifestyles.
This Spring, Common Vision embarks on Fruit Tree Tour 2005. This 20 city,
40 school, 70 day tour travels the length of California, from San Diego to
Willits. Earth educators load four recycled vegetable oil powered vehicles
with 1000 fruit trees in preparation for a day-long program at each school.
The integration of West African agricultural drumming and ceremonial tree
planting is intended not only to change the landscape of the urban
educational experience but also to deepen the connection of the students to
their own environment.
Students work in intimate groups with facilitators to prepare the ground
and trees for planting. Facilitators engage students in dialogues around
key ecological and cultural concepts such as nutrient cycles and
interconnectedness. The long-term goal is to develop relationships with
schools and work with them in the future to create multi-layered food
forest gardens.
The students? participation in creating a food forest at their own school
provides space for stewardship. Students are able to generate value in
their community and a nutritious, local food source. The Fruit Tree Tour
strives to merge ancient rhythms and modern urban education to create an
experience that integrate concepts of ecology with the traditions, music,
and art of cultures that live or have lived in harmony with the Earth.
www.commonvision.

The Tour will visit our region Thurs March 10 Thurs. 8:30-2pm Monte Vista
School 730 N Hope Avenue Santa Barbara March 10 Thurs. 8:30-4pm Call Judy
Sims 687-5333, hjsims at earthlink.net to let her know you are coming and to
donate funds to help with project
See also:
http://www.commonvision.org