[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} March Events

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Mon Mar 21 13:29:46 PST 2005

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: March

> Sustainability: An Integral Approach with special guest speaker Tony Pereira ME, EIT
> 'Profiting From Your Community Garden' presented by Jules Dervaes @ PROYECTO JARDIN COMMUNITY GARDEN

WHAT'S NEW

Contact dervaes at pathtofreedom.com

SUSTAINABILITY: An Integral Approach
Presentation and social gathering

WHEN:  Saturday, March 26
TIME: 6:30  - 9:00  pm
FEE:  $5 - $10 suggested donation
Event includes potluck & music!  Bring food, drink, and musical instruments.

Space is limited so please RSVP @ http://www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/sustainable.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION: This presentation is key to understanding what is sustainable,and what is not.
Sustainability deals with every single aspect of human activity,no matter how trivial or complex: what we eat, what we dress,
what we drive. Sustainability has vast implications that - willing or not - reverberate deeply into the fabric of present and future societies. Lack of a solid understanding of the basics and foundations of sustainability often  generates a great deal of confusion and misgivings among architects, engineers, designers, economists, politicians and the general public.

The facts about sustainability will be presented. The current status of our nation and the world will be put into perspective with graphic and charts showing current consumption and extraction rates everywhere. The science, measuring tools, and  the most up-to-date and state-of-the-art research will be shown.

An 'Integral Design Approach' combining and incorporating fundamental sustainable techniques such as solar energy, solar domestic hot water, composting toilets, greywater system, organic food production, passive solar, natural lighting, ventilation, heating and cooling, natural non-toxic materials, adobe, strawbale, rainwater catchments, wind energy will be discussed step by step with detailed drawings and design parameters.

The economic concepts of sustainability, what is money, markets, profit and economy, and what they represent when viewed in the light of a sustainable society will be discussed. This talk presents a vision, a call and a plan for a sustainable world
that can be embraced and undertaken by anyone, anywhere.

SPEAKER'S BACKGROUND: Tony Pereira is a Mechanical Engineer residing in Los Angeles, CA, well on his way of both becoming a registered Professional Engineer (PE) and a registered Architect in the State of California. He is now a PhD Candidate also at UCLA in Mechanical Engineering,  where he is trying to get the School of Engineering involved in hydrogen research and sustainability. He also holds an A.S. in Architecture,  an A.A. in Liberal Arts,and a Professional Certificate in Solar Energy Design from the University of Central Florida, FSEC - Florida Solar Energy Center.

The Caracol Marketplace organized by Proyecto Jardin.

WHEN:  Sunday, March 27th
TIME: 10:00am  - 3:00  pm
WHERE: PROYECTO JARDIN COMMUNITY GARDEN
              1718 Bridge Street in Boyle Heights

2pm - 3pm :  'Profiting From Your Community Garden' presented by Jules Dervaes from Path to Freedom

Look for these events (and more!) coming soon:

APRIL:
> BIODIESEL BONANZA with surprise guest (details are in the works!)
> THE FUTURE OF FOOD

MAY:
> RE-MINERALIZE THE EARTH: Love & Regenerate the Earth with Andy Lopez (the "Invisible Gardener")
> COBOVEN WORKSHOP with Ray Cirino

TBA:
> PTF FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
> SEED SWAP

PTF will be participating in:
> EARTH DAY, April 23rd @ DEBS PARK
> BIKE SUMMER LA 2005 / June 26th.  Join bicyclists for an "Eco Ride" and more!

PATH TO FREEDOM
A Sustainable Living Resource Center
Jules Dervaes (founder)
631 Cypress Ave