[Scpg] APRIL 2005/Permaculture Mtg & Events Announcement List Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Apr 20 13:46:11 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone-

This is late getting out, but as we have been shifting and moving our meeting
dates since we began this year, April will be no different.  Our next meeting
will be combined with a Santa Barbara Permaculture Network ECO-Film night on
Friday, April 22, at 7pm.  This and three Earth Day Events in Santa Barbara
and
Goleta will keep us very busy this month. Please see the calendar listings
below for details.

We are excited about our SB Permaculture ECO-Film night, as it features Ocean
Oasis, a film about the special ecology of Baja California
(www.oceanoasis.org).  Originally a big screen film created for IMAX theaters,
it premiered in 2000 to support conservation, education, and research in Baja,
with cooperative efforts by the San Diego Museum of Natural History and
Pronatura (a conservation organization in Mexico).

"Ocean Oasis is a fascinating journey into the bountiful seas and pristine
deserts of two remarkably different, but inextricably linked worlds ----
Mexico's Sea of Cortez and the Baja California desert.  A few very special
places in the world are havens for life.  Resources and shelter draw living
creatures from far and near.  These places are rare. We call them oases"

The evening will be held at the CEC South Coast Watershed Resource Center at
Arroyo Burro Beach County Park (2981 Cliff Drive).  We hope to have more
events
and meetings as time goes by that are family friendly, so come to meet before
the film at 6 pm for an informal gathering, bring your family, kids, dog and a
picnic!  Weather permitting the movie may be shown outside.

March was an exciting month.  Our members asked for more skill building, hands
on activities, and we had plenty!  We helped with a site preparation
project for
a school orchard planting at Monte Vista School with sheet mulching, a sort of
lasagna like layering of  cardboard, compost and mulch.  Lots of moms and kids
showed up for this one.  When asked to go home, the kids yelled "no, mom, no,
we don't want to go home".  Shows work doesn't have to be work, but can be fun
if done in the right playful spirit.  After that came a trip to L.A.
EcoVillage
to meet Mark Lakeman and members of L.A. EcoVillage for a City Repair Project
street painting.  Mark Lakeman of City Repair Project from Portland Oregon
(cityrepair.org) had been with us earlier this year for talks in our region,
this project was the chance to see how intersection repair actually
happens. At
the end of the day after the street was re-opened to traffic, we stood in the
middle of our colorful creation, with traffic beginning to flow slowly around,
Mark still teaching us how to reclaim the intersection by staying in the
street.  One member of the Eco-Village helped this process by bringing out his
amazing rocket stove, an artistic, almost sci-fi like creation, to the center
of the street for all to stand around and get warm.  It had the local auto
repair shop guys who were making their way back to their garage down the
street
fascinated.  Conversations began, neighbors began to talk, we learned the
intersection repair lesson.

In late March we were honored to have Ianto Evans from Cob Cottage
(cobcottage.com) and author of the Hand Sculpted House spend three days
with us
as we organized and participated in a Cob Bench workshop at the SB City
College
LifeScape Garden.  The Santa Barbara City College Students for Sustainability
Coalition led the efforts, doing a beautiful job of first creating a design
for
the bench, and then day by day teaching cob skills, while at the same time
building and constructing the bench with workshop participants. We had between
20-60 people each day gleefully playing in the mud, making batches of this
amazing building material called cob (clay soil, sand & straw).  Innocent
bystanders and walkers on the scenic trail through the SBCC LifeScape Garden
got swept into the enthusiasm, soon found themselves joining in.  Children
were
in heaven getting as dirty as possible with no one yelling at them.

Some members let us know how much they yearn for "community".  We have
found by
participating in these kinds of projects, just showing up, the most powerful
community begins to form and happen.  All of the above projects are available
for viewing, please stop by Monte Vista School, L.A. EcoVillage, and the
LifeScape Garden at City College and take a look.

Hope to see you April 22 at the ECO-Film night and monthly meeting-
Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
Calendar:

**Note: As many of you know, Hopedance Magazine (www.hopedance.com) supports
permaculture and natural building by hosting a calendar for not only community
events, but listings for permaculture courses and workshops in our west coast
region.  A more extensive calendar can be found there, and there is lots
happening this spring & summer!  Hopedance magazine is a reasonable $20 a year
subscription, and as they support us, let's support them. Local media is so
rare, especially local media that talks about positive solutions for the
environment.  There is also a local permaculture listserve that is very useful
to post and hear about regional events, please sign on at www.arashi.com .

<<
Sunday, April 17, 2005,
5th Annual Goleta Earth Day
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
at Stow Grove Park (Areas 1 & 2).
The festival, includes exhibits, children's games, activities,
entertainment, a
silent auction, a raffle and treats and refreshments.

April 18-21
Earth Week
At Santa Barbara City College West Campus
10am-2pm daily
Week Schedule:
Monday April 18th,
Earth Cycles Day:
The Earth works in cycles: Water cycles, recycling, bicycles, human health
cycles, composting, clean air, etc

Tuesday April 19th
Earth Justice and Rights Day:
Water rights, tree rights, Forest rights, Human rights, social justice, animal
rights, etc

Wednesday April 20th
Earth Organic/ Plant Day:
Permaculture, Horticulture, Native plants, organic gardening, organic food,
farmers market, herbal remedies, wilderness organizations, etc

Thursday April 21st
Earth Sustainability and Clean Energy Day:
Alternative transportation, bio-diesel, electric bicycles, sustainable living
practices, etc
Sponsored by the SBCC Students for Sustainability Coalition
Sat April 23, 10am-5:30pm
South Coast Earth Day Festival, sponsored by Community Environmental Council
(CEC)
At the beautiful Sunken Gardens of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse located
at 1100 Anacapa Street.  Music, bands, speakers, exhibits, food, bike
tune-ups,
fun!
***(SB Permaculture Network will have a booth, we love having visitors and
would appreciate help for those of you who would like to answer the famous
question "What is Permaculture"?.  Come by with your best definition, spend
and
hour or two staffing the booth, it's a fun day of visiting and connecting).

Fri, April 22
Santa Barbara ECO-Film Night featuring
Ocean Oasis,Two Worlds, One Paradise, Baja Calif, 7-9pm, $5
(with  Monthly Permaculture meeting & gathering preceding film, 6-7pm)
Sponsored by SB Permaculture Network & CEC South Coast Watershed Resource Ctr.
South Coast Watershed Resource Center, Arroyo Burro Beach County Park, 2981
Cliff Drive

April/Ongoing:

UCSB "2005 Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics and Design" speaker
series continues, Thursdays, 7-9 PM, Embarcadero Hall, 935 Embarcadero Del
Norte, Isla Vista
from March 31st to June 3rd, free and open to the public.
April 21 : "Designing Sustainable Campus Communities."
Ernest Callenbach, Author, Ecotopia.
Freda Pagani, Director of Sustainability Studies,, UC British Columbia.

April 28: " Ecological Ethics."
Satish Kumar, Editor, Resurgence Magazine (UCLA&UCSB)
Mary Evelyn Tucker, Professor of Religion, Bucknell University, Author
(UCLA&UCSB), Vandana Shiva and Francis Moore Lappe (April 28 UCSB)

April 29-May 1: Institute of Reverential Ecology 3rd Annual Zaca Lake
Retreat: "Creating the Future: Ecology, Ethics and Design."
(www.reverentialecology.org) phil at reverentialecology.org
Faculty will include:Satish Kumar,Francis Moore Lappe, Small Planet
Institute,Vandana Shiva,
Adam Wolpert, Artist, Activist, Founder, Occidental Arts and Ecology
Center,Elisabet Sahtouris,Mary Evelyn Tucker,Michael Tobias,
John Knott, Ocean Robbins, Nandini Iyer
THE ZACA LAKE RETREAT IS LIMITED TO 150 PEOPLE AND REQUIRES A FEE FOR
FACILITY USE, MEALS AND TWO NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION.
SAVE THE DATE!  AUG 2, 2005
David Holmgren from Australia, Co-originator of Permaculture, comes to Santa
Barbara for his only Southern California appearance.

The all day event takes place at Santa Barbara City College, with workshops
during the day, and an evening lecture.
Tentative Schedule:
Morning Session, 9-1pm
“PERMACULTURE SOLUTIONS AROUND THE WORLD" with David Holmgren

Afternoon Sessions,  2-5PM
with Bill Roley from the Southern California Permaculture Institute, Larry
Santoyo of Earth Flow Designs, and Doug Richardson, director of Santa Barbara
City College Environmental Horticulture Dept.

Cost for Day programs, $80 (Students & Prepayment before July 1, $60)

Evening Lecture with David Holmgren, "Permaculture in the 21st Century"
7-9pm, $15
The event is co-sponsored & a fund raiser for: Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network, The Permaculture Credit Union, SBCC Environmental Horticulture
Department & SBCC Students for Sustainability Coalition.

for more info, sbpcnet at silcom.com, or www.sbpermaculture.org

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous