[Scpg] May 5-8 Earthen Plasters Workparty for interior cob structures- Figueroa Mountain

eric werbalowsky ewerb at ewerb.com
Fri Apr 22 06:11:54 PDT 2005

(please forward)
Earthen Plasters Workparty for interior cob
structures.

 In 2003, as part of Cob Cottage Company (Ianto Evans
& Linda Smiley) workshops, a three year series of
seasonal cob bulding workshop intensives began on
Spirit Pine Ranch – a dramatically scenic outpost 10
miles up Figueroa Mountain Road (directly across Hwy
154 from the massively cute village of Los Olivos).

An enormous amount of progress was made – yet there
still remains the ever-elusive aspect of FINISHING the
structures with interior and exterior plasters and
finishes, along with earthen flooring.

Here are some early shots of the projects (much more
progress has been made since these pix were taken in
’03)
http://oasisdesign.net/design/examples/cob/
and
http://www.islandseed.com/cob/index.html

So, in the tradition of South Coast Permaculture Guild
Work Parties, all interested able minds and bodies are
invite and requested to join us for a plastering party
May  5-8 at the Figueroa Mountain site. Campsites and
semi-primitive accomoditions are available for
multi-day players. Your role will be primarily be
preparing, mixing and applying the plaster under the
experienced direction of residents Betty & Tatacho,
and some of the cob superstars who have surfaced in
the group over the past few years.

Bring readiness for labor and positivity, and
food/drink for sharing. Please contact me, Eric
Werbalowsky <ewerb at ewerb.com> or Wes Roe
<lakinroe at silcom.com> with any questions, plus your
level of interest, plastering experience, and
availability. Even if you’ve never tried it, after a
few days you will be proficient. We will forward this
info to our on site hosts just prior to the event.

Future work parties are planned for an earthen
flooring pour May 20-22 and a work party to roof this
year’s workshop project from June 9-12. More info will
be coming on these later projects. Thanks for your
interest.