[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} Biodiesel Bonanza with Maria Alovert

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Wed Apr 27 12:59:18 PDT 2005

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: May

> Remineralize the Earth - with Andy Lopez, 'The Invisible Gardener'
> Knit-Together (crochet too!) - This month bring your earliest project for "show & tell"
> Biodiesel Mixer - with Maria Alovert (aka "Girl Mark") homebrew biodiesel activist and inventor of the "appleseed biodiesel processor"
> Biodiesel Workshop - with Maria Alovert (aka "Girl Mark") homebrew biodiesel activist and inventor of the "appleseed biodiesel processor"

ANNOUNCEMENT

> SIGN UP!  Register for the HOMEBREW BIODIESEL WORKSHOP Sunday May 22  www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/biodiesel.htm

> SIGN UP!  Register for the COB OVEN BUILDING WORKSHOP Sunday June 5th  www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/coboven.htm

REMINERALIZE THE EARTH
With 'The Invisible Gardener' Andy Lopez

Our most optimistic expectations are no less than the realization of an old dream: 'What will fertilizing with stone dust accomplish? It will turn stones into bread...make barren regions (fruitful) (and) feed the hungry.'"  ~ Julius Hensel; Bread From Stones (1894) ~

WHEN:  Sunday, May 1
TIME:  3pm - 4pm / followed by a potluck 4pm - 6pm
FEE: $5 - $10
Free samples of rock dust will be given out.

POTLUCK: Event includes a potluck afterwards, so please bring food and drink to contribute.
May Wine Punch will be available at this event  (using sweet woodruff, edible flowers and fruit from our yard)

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/rockdust.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   Research shows that many of our ordinary everyday foods have taken a significant dip in mineral content over the last half-century.

Adding finely ground gravel dust to soils is a tremendous boost to organic agriculture and can make it truly viable by adding up to a hundred elements and trace minerals needed by all life. Rock dust also nourishes the microorganisms in the soil, whose protoplasm is the basis of all living things.

Mineral deficiencies due to soil deficiencies could be behind dozens of common complaints, for without minerals, vitamins don't work. The body depends heavily on enzymic reactions for the production of many of the living biochemicals needed for full health. Enzymes in turn are heavily dependent on minerals and trace elements. Minerals are the bedrock of life.

Adding rock dust to horse manure increases the nutritional / mineral value of the manure.
Adding rock dust to your compost raises the energy level of the compost, increasing the bacterial levels of the compost.

Feeding the soil rock dust, you will be feeding the soils bacteria that is present in the soil, replenishing the soil with the vital minerals it now lacks.

GUEST SPEAKER: Andy Lopez, The Invisible Gardener  (www.invisiblegardener.com ), seen on PBS and heard on Don't Panic It's Organic every sat mornings on CRNI.NEt radio, operates a worldwide club called Club IG and has over 8,000 members will speak on Rock Dust,

The Invisible Gardener Andy Lopez goes to work with vinegar, a bag of flour, garlic cloves, peppermint soap, and a bottle of Tabasco sauce. He may sound like a Cajun chef, but he's actually one of the worlds most respected organic gardeners. He uses these items as pesticides. As time passes, more and more so-called safe chemicals are outlawed, he says, after society has been used as a guinea pig.

KNIT-TOGETHER (crochet too!)
Cast-away with yarn enthusiasts

WHEN:  Tuesday, May 10
TIME: 7:00  - 9:00  pm
FEE: Free for knitters and crochetters
Event includes a potluck.  Please bring some snacks or drink to share

Creativity, spirituality and meditation are all linked ~ Peg Butler ~

Join us for our monthly knitting circle gathering.  It's the perfect way to relax, meet others, practice your technique and skills, share favorite patterns or show off your latest creations.

THIS MONTH: Bring one of your early creations for "show & tell."

BIODIESEL MIXER
Meet Maria Alovert and other veggie oil enthusiasts

WHEN:  Friday May 20
TIME: 6:30  - 9:30  pm
FEE:  $5 - $10
Event includes a potluck.  Please bring some snacks or drink to share

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/biodiesel.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   Forget sky-high gas prices, dump the petroleum addiction and learn more about a clean and renewable alternative.

Biodiesel is an alternative carbon-neutral, sulfur-free fuel made from recycled vegetable oil and is renewable, sustainable, domestically produced, and oil dependence free.  Homebrew a clean alternative fuel in your backyard!  Find out why small scale home production of Biodiesel is efficient and sustainable.

GUEST SPEAKER: Maria Alovert from Berkeley, California, is an activist who teaches classes on making biodiesel and is the inventor of the fumeless water heater processor.  See her website http://www.localb100.com

BIODIESEL WORKSHOP
Brew your own biodiesel using waste vegetable oil

WHEN:  Sunday May 22nd
TIME: 10am  - 2pm
FEE:  $50 - $65
or
TIME:  4pm -  8pm
FEE:  $50 - $65

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve and register by May 15 @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/workshops/biodiesel.htm

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   "How-to" biodiesel class for beginners on making fuel from restaurant "waste" oil.  At this workshop, you'll be involved in the nitty-gritty details of home-brewing biodiesel.

Different basic aspects of homebrewed biodiesel will be addressed as well as the kind of equipment you would need to start brewing your own biodiesel.

INSTRUCTOR: Maria Alovert from Berkeley, California, is an activist who teaches classes on making biodiesel and is the inventor of the fumeless water heater processor.  See her website http://www.localb100.com

PATH TO FREEDOM
Sustainable Living Resource Center

Jules Dervaes
631 Cypress Ave