[Scpg] NEW May June #50 issue of HopeDance is out

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu May 5 08:40:03 PDT 2005

HopeDance
Contents; Issue #50

WILL BE ONLINE ANY DAY NOW at www.hopedance.org!!
they have been distributed throughout the tri-counties. If you cannot locate
one please call the office at 544-9663.

     Sunday Herald   2   GLOBAL SHORTAGE OF OIL AFTER
2007
      The Oil Depletion Analysis Centre (ODAC) states that not  enough
major  new fields will come on stream to offset declines.

     Reverend Billy  5   INTERVIEW WITH REV. BILLY BY AMY LANDAU
             Contributing writer Amy Landau meets up with Rev. Billy in New
York after a performance to discover the passion behind his commitment to take
down corporations like Disney and Starbucks.

     Linda Buzzell-Saltzman  6   LIFE WORK: Meaningful Careers in the Emerging
Sustainable Society
             What is in store for our careers, our livelihoods during the
transition? For The Future think tank cofounder, Ms. Buzzell-Saltzman
explores how we need
to start preparing now and what types of livelihoods will be essential.

     The Yes Men 8   INTERVIEW WITH THE YES MEN BY AMY LANDAU
             Amy Landau meets with the imposters of the WTO (and other
corporate heads)
             Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonano for a riveting interview to
understand the
             importance of their pranks.

     Stacey Warde    10  THERE'S MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SLOW
DOWN
  Local freelancer takes on the subject of why we are moving so fast in
order to make
  a living while in reality we are just making ourselves sick; besides the
fact that most of us don’t even like our jobs.

     Katie Renz  12  MAKING BOOKS OUT OF TRASH
             Regular contributor Katie Renz reports on the wonderful
             work of Analea Brauburger who is turning recycled trash into
             books for impoverished kids in Honduras.

     David Weisman   13  NUCLEAR POWER IS NOT THE WAY OUT OF THE
             GLOBAL CRISIS!

     Justin Popov    16  LIVING WAGES, NO SWEAT SHOPS & UNIONS
             IN INDONESIA?
             Intern Justin Popov summarizes the incredible work of
             the new clothing manufacturing company NO-SWEAT.

     Carol Pimentel  17  TSUNAMI CLEAN-UP TRUTHS
Carol Pimentel travels to Thailand to learn first hand how
             the clean up is coming along and what we can do locally.

     FiLMS   21  FiLMS FOR SLO, CAMBRIA & SANTA BARBARA

     Elizabeth Warren & Uma Bingham   24 INSURANCE: SICK AND BROKE plus HEALTH
WORKS
             OF THE CENTRAL COAST

     David Holmgren  27  DAVID HOLMGREN ON ENERGY
DESCENT
How are we going to survive? Are we ready to pursue it with
             passion and vigor like the Manhattan Project?
             How does permaculture fit into the scheme of collapse?

     Shorts  29  SHORTS SECTION

     Contributors    35  BOOK REVIEWS

     Wes Roe 40  PERMACULTURE & NATURAL BUILDING NEWS

     OTHER SHORTS: Having Fun while Doing Laundry the Energy-Friendly Way
(15); Peace Goes to School (15); Excerpt from the Indy FiLM Festival in SLO
(19);
Update on Duke in Morro Bay (20); Ventura Section (24); New Fair-Trade Caffè
in SLO (25); Responses to “Environmentalism is Dead” Debate (26); Santa
Barbara Announcements (39); San Luis Obispo Announcements (18); Classifieds
(43);
Poems (11, 31, 41)

SANTA BARBARA /VENTURA/OXNARD/OJAI LOCATIONS FOR HOPEDANCE MAG
Taffy's Pizza
Vices &Spices
IV Coop
Main Library and East Side Library
Island Seed & Feed
Goleta Community Center
Paradise Found
Community Environmental Council
Copy Cat Coffee
Thrashers Books
Natural Cafe in Santa Barbara and Goleta
Nicky's Hair Design and Gifts
Lasen's Goleta
Sojourner
Giovanna's Pizza Montecito and Santa Barbara, IV
Fairview Gardens
Goleta Library
Chaucer's Bookstore
Muddy Waters
Livingreen
KCSB Radio
Kind Heart Institute

Bulldog Cafe Summerland

CARPINTERIA
Pacific Health foods Carpinteria
Carpinteria Public Library
The Coffee Grinder
Giovanni's Pizza
The Garden Cafe
Surf Shop beside Cafe on Padora

OJAI
Rainbow Bridge Natural Foods Market Ojai
Local Hero Bookstore
German Bakery
Ojai Roasting Company
Ojai Library
Ojai Foundation
The Farmer and Cook Meiners Oaks

LOMPOC/SOLVANG
South Side Cafe Lompoc
Printed Matter Lompoc
Lompoc Community Center
Lompoc Public Library
Solvang Public Library
Book Loft Solvang
Grand Tales Los Olivos
El Rancho Market Santa Ynez
Coffee Bean and Thing Lompoc
Essential Touch Lompoc

Oxnard:
Lassen's Health Foods
Café On A
Oxnard Public Library
The Prueter Library
Inner Gate Yoga Center
Sacred Space
Oxnard Public Library
The Grand Feline Resort
The Yoga Channel
Oak View Library

Ventura

Franky's Restaurant
Yoga Jones
Garden Village Café
H.P. Wright Library
Ventura Healing Arts Center
E.P. Foster Library
Zoey's Café
Cheap Sports
Patagonia
Ventura Yoga Studio
The Livery Theater
Salzer's Music
Beat City Records
Caffrodite
Latte 101
Skatestreet / The Loft
Way of Orient / Yoga with Zan
Shoreline Bicycle
Waveline Surf Shop /Caffrodite
Bad Ass Coffee /Latte 101
The Livery Theater/ Salzer's Music
Ventura Yoga Studio /Skatestreet / The Loft
Django's Coffee House /Full of Beans Coffee House
Zoey's Café & Club
The Natural Café
Café Bariloche
Natalie's Fine Threads