[Scpg] ScrapHouse San Francisco 850 sq ft exhibition home in San Francisco's Civic Center Plaza.

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri May 20 07:58:57 PDT 2005

http://www.scraphouse.org/

As part of World Environment Day, a team of green builders,
architects, engineers, city officials and artists are blitz-building a
850 sq ft exhibition home in San Francisco's Civic Center Plaza.
And...we're building it entirely out of scrap and recyled materials
while doing our level best to get as many LEEDS points as possible.

In anticipation of World Environment Day 2005, we've challenged a rockstar
team of San Francisco architects, artists, contractors, city officials, and
engineers to construct a house using only scrap and salvaged materials.

Challenge 1: Design
Rethinking a standard single-family home floor plan, the ScrapHouse Design
Team will surprise you with elegant design solutions created from reclaimed
materials. Everything from the foundation to the front door will be
reclaimed and re-used.

Challenge 2: Search
Finding appropriate innovative materials is the next challenge. The team
will spend three weeks scouring the Bay Area for building materials,
furnishings and finishes; purchasing new only hardware and fasteners. Some
salvage materials will be re-used for their intended purpose, while some
will be reincarnated in unusual ways. Like other houses built in the city,
ScrapHouse will also comply with all applicable building codes.

Challenge 3: Build
The ScrapHouse team's final challenge is a two-week blitz build, kicking
off the last week of May.

Rachel Weidinger
Project Manager, ScrapHouse
rachel at scraphouse.org