[Scpg] Tues June 14th."BEAUTY IS AS BEAUTY DOES: THE MARRIAGE OF VISUAL APPEAL AND SUSTAINABILITY"

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat May 28 06:05:14 PDT 2005

"BEAUTY IS AS BEAUTY DOES: THE MARRIAGE OF VISUAL APPEAL AND
SUSTAINABILITY' FREE PRESENTATION ON TUESDAY, JUNE 14, 7PM AT DOWNTOWN LIBRARY

As part of its Sustainable Small Cities project, Santa Barbara think tank
For the Future (www.forthefuture.org) will present a FREE panel discussion
of “BEAUTY IS AS BEAUTY DOES: THE MARRIAGE OF VISUAL APPEAL AND
SUSTAINABILITY” on Tuesday, June 14th at 7pm in the Faulkner Gallery at
the downtown Santa Barbara Public Library. Co-sponsors include The
Sustainability Project, the Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild, the Santa
Barbara Organic Garden Club and the International Association for Ecotherapy.

Speakers will include landscape architect Owen Dell, permaculture designer
Larry Santoyo, LivinGreen’s Ellen Strickland, evolutionary psychologist
Dr. Peggy La Cerra and landscape and architecture designer Carlene
Ramus.  The moderator will be Linda Buzzell-Saltzman, MA, MFT, Fellow at
For the Future, founder of the International Association for Ecotherapy and
co-founder of Santa Barbara Organic Garden Club.

They will discuss the fact that although beauty has been a core community
value in Santa Barbara throughout our history, superficial "prettiness" may
no longer be enough.  For Santa Barbara to be a truly viable city in the
future, beauty must find a way to combine with sustainability.  True beauty
isn’t just skin deep -- a lovely surface covering a multitude of dark
secrets -- but must also be deeply healthy for people and our environment.

So by this new definition:

     * ... a gorgeous red rose dripping with toxic pesticides doesn’t
smell as sweet...

     * ... a bright green, highly manicured lawn soaked in imported water
and drenched in toxics that flow into our creeks and the ocean isn't really
beautiful...

     * ... an exquisitely arranged plate of artistically-presented food
full of toxics isn't beautiful...

     * ... hairdos, manicures, face lifts or silicone breasts aren't
beautiful if they harm the client or the professional who works on her...

     * ... a mansionized architectural masterpiece isn't beautiful if it
uses unsustainable woods, poisons the house's inhabitants or workmen,
covers over every inch of plantable land on the property, becomes an
energy-hog or sends a tear-down to the landfill...

     * ... a shiny, bright red apple sprayed with pesticides and waxed with
petroleum-based paraffin isn’t appealing…

Beauty is not only an aesthetic value, but a quality of experience that we
need just as we need clean air and water.  Panelists will discuss how Santa
Barbara can become a truly, deep-down beautiful city that is also sustainable.

For more information, contact Linda Buzzell-Saltzman at 563-2089 or
lbuzzell at aol.com