[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} June Events

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Fri Jun 17 05:25:43 PDT 2005

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: June

> Bike Summer: Arroyo Seco Eco-Ride - includes visit of Path to Freedom homestead
> The Future of Food - with special guest Deborah Koons Garcia

BIKE SUMMER @ Path to Freedom
Arroyo Seco Eco Ride

WHEN:  Sunday, June 26
FEE:  $5 - $10

EVENT SUMMARY: Cities, community coalitions ,groups and individuals are working hard to make Los Angeles and surrounding cities more livable and sustainable places. On this ride, 7 miles, Class C, we will travel from North East Los Angeles to Pasadena.

Details: We will meet at the Heritage Square/Arroyo Gold Line station (3545 Pasadena Ave. Los Angeles 90031). A short ride to the base of Flat Top for an overview of open space issues with the North East Los Angeles Open Space Coalition. We will continue to the one of the greenest buildings in the nation, the Audubon Center at Debs Park. Riding up the Arroyo Seco Bike Path, we will head to a location where the City of Pasadena is conducting stream restoration activities. We will ride to Path To Freedom, an urban homestead, located in Pasadena. This will be the final stop, where we will take a tour and have a chance to have lunch (Please bring a lunch). We will meet at the Heritage Square/Arroyo Gold Line station (3545 Pasadena Ave. Los Angeles 90031). Ending at Path To Freedom (631 Cypress Ave, Pasadena 91103).

This easy ride will be about 7 miles from end to finish. We will ride at a moderate pace, and stopping along the way (Class C). We will ride on streets, bike paths and bike lanes. Please bring a lock, as we will walk to the Arroyo Seco restoration site.

Although this is a free ride, the Audubon Center and Path To Freedom do rely on donations to keep going, so feel free to bring some money along to give to these causes. Suggested donation to Audubon Center is $1. Suggested donation to Path To Freedom is $5-10 for the tour.

For more info visit http://www.bikesummer.org/2005/calendar/detail.php?CalendarID=1
or contact Jeffrey Chapman corvus6775 at hotmail.com

THE FUTURE OF FOOD
Film screening with special guest:  Deborah Koons Garcia (the late Jerry Garica's widow) -- director, writer, producer of this provocative documentary

"My goal was to make a film that gave the average person a clear understanding of how genetic engineering works, from the cellular level to the global level.  I'm hoping this film can be a combination of SILENT SPRING, and THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS.  Once you see it you'll feel compelled to act, even if that means just changing the the kind of food you eat."

~ Deborah Koons Garcia ~

WHEN:  Sunday, June 26
TIME: 4pm - 9pm
FEE:  $15 (or $5 for 7:30 pm discussion)

RSVP:  Space is limited so please reserve @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/futureoffood.htm to ensure a seat.
FOOD: Vegan/Vegetarian food will be provided  (some from our organic garden!).
To make this a "green event," please bring your own plates, cups and utensils if possible.

The Future of Food provides an excellent overview of the key questions raised by consumers as they become aware of GM foods... [The film] draws questions to critical attention about food production that need more public debate.  ~ Thomas J. Hoban ~

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   Film screening followed by short discussion with guest speakers:

Deborah Koons Garcia, Lily Films
Representative, Organic Consumer's Association
Jules Dervaes, Path to Freedom

FILM DESCRIPTION:   There is a revolution happening in the farm fields and on the dinner tables of America -- a revolution that is transforming the very nature of the food we eat. THE FUTURE OF FOOD offers an in-depth investigation into the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled U.S. grocery store shelves for the past decade.  For more information visit http://www.thefutureoffood.com

EVENT SCHEDULE:

4:00 PM         Welcome
4:30 PM         Film, THE FUTURE OF FOOD
6:30 PM         Food & Entertainment  (vegan/vegetarian faire will be provided)
7:30 PM         Guest Speakers, featuring Deborah Koons Garcia
9:00 PM         End

SPECIAL GUEST: Deborah Koons Garcia fell in love with filmmaking when she first picked up a Bolex while a student at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 1970.  She was the instigator and chief Creative Consultant for Grateful Dawg, a documentary about the musical friendship between her husband Jerry Garcia and David Grisman. Grateful Dawg premiered at the Telluride Film Festival and went on to a lively run in film festivals, in theaters and on television. The Future of Food was shown over a dozen times as a work in progress in Mendocino County, California before the March 2004 election and was the primary element in passing Measure H which bans the planting of genetically engineered crops in the county. It is the first time U.S. citizens have voted on this very important issue. All the people who worked on The Future of Food are proud that our efforts have had a real impact in the real world.

PATH TO FREEDOM
Sustainable Living Resource Center

Jules Dervaes
631 Cypress Ave