[Scpg] a few questions

John Calvert jc at calvertdesign.com
Tue Sep 13 14:12:53 PDT 2005

Hi, Folks,

1) Has anyone had trouble with thier fig trees this year?
Our tree set a lot of fruit.  The early ones were very good, but
now the figs are not ripening normally... they are getting
hard or rotten before ripening.  My hunch is that there
is too much foliage and figs on the tree.

1.5) We thought this would be a good time of year to go
around and sample figs from local trees and get cuttings
from those trees.  Any tips on getting cuttings to take?

2) Does anyone know how to use carpet on the bottom
of a small pond?  Do we lay it and put a coating of
something on it?  I.e. how to make waterproof.  Much
leaking would not work where we have this pond (next
to a house).  Also, we don't want to keep dumping water
into the pond.

3) General question about propagating plants from
cuttings... (we are dummies)  What plants does this
work for (beside succulents, cactus... that's a no brainer)?
What's the deal w/ the root hormone powder?
We are interested in getting cuttings for useful
perennials.  Which brings up another question...
edible perennials (beside fruit trees and herbs)
for the central coast area.  In Hawaii we ate an
edible hibiscus that produced copious amounts of
spinach-like green leaves.

4) Composting toilet.  Does anyone have a design for
a small, outdoor two-person capacity ... deposit directly
onto compost pile?  (we have Humanure Handbook)
We are aware of the "pooh hole" type design... plant a
tree on it afterward.  We're looking for a design so that
we can recover the compost.

5) Starts for a winter garden.  (we are dummies) Is it
best to put starts in direct sun, or partial sun?

thanks!
JC

PS>  On-line streaming music that you might like...
http://www.radioio.com  ::: Select from ambient, folk,
jazz, whatever.