[Scpg] organic standards

kolmi at wyp.org kolmi at wyp.org
Wed Oct 12 12:10:56 PDT 2005

One more reason to focus on local/regional food...organic
standards are already not the answer, but, nevertheless,
having fully corrupted would threaten the market for
organic growers who are doing it in a good way because
people in the public would be confused.  so i think
organic standards are important to fight...at the same
time we all go ahead and focus on local food economy.

SOS-SAVE ORGANIC STANDARDS-Action Alert Update October 6,
2005

Sneak Attack on Organic Standards in Congress
Continues--OCA Needs Your Help

Over the past two weeks Organic Consumers Association
(OCA) network members have bombarded the U.S. Congress
with over 100,000 emails and 15,000 telephone calls. Our
calls and letters have urged elected public officials to
reject the now discredited Organic Trade Association's
"Sneak Attack" rider to the 2006 Agriculture
Appropriations Bill that would seriously undermine organic
standards by removing traditional organic community
control over organic standards and centralizing power in
the hands of the White House-appointed US Department of
Agriculture.

OCA's allies such as the Consumers Union, the Center for
Food Safety, the National Campaign for Sustainable
Agriculture, the National Coop Grocers Association, the
National Organic Coalition, the Health Freedom network,
and several hundred organic businesses have also generated
thousands of emails and phone calls. Thank you for taking
action. This massive grassroots outpouring prompted the
U.S. Senate ten days ago to reject the industry Sneak
Attack rider and propose a 90-day study to determine
proper organic standards on synthetic substances, animal
feed, and commercial availability of organic ingredients.

Unfortunately members of the joint House/Senate Conference
Committee on Agricultural Appropriations still seem to be
listening more closely to powerful industry lobbyists
representing Kraft/Phillip Morris, Dean Foods/Horizon
Organic/Whitewave, Dole, Smucker/Knudson's, General
Mills/Small Planet, Danone/Stonyfield, Aurora Organic,
Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and the Grocery Manufacturers of
America (Wal-Mart and the supermarket chains), than they
are to us. And because this is a last minute, back door
Sneak Attack, most of the media, and even most organic
consumers, are not yet aware of what's happening.

We have no choice but to move quickly and raise the volume
of our protest, double the number of letters and phone
calls pouring into Congress, and aggressively take our
message to the media. In 1998, 2003, and 2004 OCA and the
organic community successfully mobilized and beat back
similar attempts to degrade organic standards.
Unfortunately this Sneak Attack is an "inside job,"
organized and funded by powerful pseudo-organic food
processors and supermarket chains who have seized control
of the Organic Trade Association, hired powerful lobbyists
who usually represent big Pharma, tobacco, supermarket
chains, and liquor interests, and are moving in for the
"big fix."

We need more letters, and we need money now, to lobby
Congress and to take our message to the media. Please
forward this Action Alert to everyone you know who is
concerned about preserving strict organic standards and
organic community control over these standards. If you
haven't already, please click here to send a letter to
your members of Congress
http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm And please click
here to send OCA a tax-deductible donation so we can
continue to defend the integrity of organic standards.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Time is running out. We must stop this Sneak Attack in
Congress and beat back this unfriendly takeover of the
organic industry. For the sake of the Earth and the health
of the People, please Take Action Now!

Ronnie Cummins, Co-Founder and National Director, Organic
Consumers Association