[Scpg] resources for less toxic homes

Alexandra Isaievych Mason isart at surfbest.net
Tue Oct 25 14:04:48 PDT 2005

I have spent quite a bit of time researching ways for reducing exposure to
toxins in everyday life. I am very happy to see that there are increasingly
more information becoming available now.

This year in Los Angeles there is an opportunity to see this vision
implemented in a beautiful way during the open designhouse sponsored by LA
Magazine. I am volunteering at the tour on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so
please come if you can on those days or any other time during these two
weeks, and the $25 cost of the ticket goes entirely to the educational
efforts of the Children's Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC)
http://www.checnet.org/

The house is designed by architect James Chuda known for his groundbreaking
work in the field of environmental design. In 1992 James Chuda and his wife
Nancy formed Children's Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC) following the
tragic loss of their five year-old daughter Colette to a rare form of
non-hereditary cancer called Wilm's tumor which had been linked to exposure
to pesticides.

The Green Home will be on view to the public from October 28 - November 13.
Tue-Fri and Sunday 12-5 pm and Sat 10-5 pm
For information on tour tickets call: (323) 769-5114 or visit
http://www.Ticketweb.com
http://www.checnet.org/designHouse/ - the house is featured in November
issue of LA Magazine, so one can see the beautiful design and learn about
eco-features by just checking out the magazine ($3.95 per issue)

Children's Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC) has a lot of resources
available on their web-site - please pass this on to your friends with young
children to spread the word about this important work:
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/home/index.asp

Another fabulous resource is The Green Guide, which this week (until Oct
30th) is available for full web-site access free of charge:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/openhouse/

I also find Weston A. Price foundation to be a great resource on health and
nutrition, including toxic exposures through food:
http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm