[Scpg] NOV 9, 7pm, Saving Paradise on the Central Coast with Rick Cole

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Nov 9 07:23:21 PST 2005

 Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition, COAST, & the City of Santa Barbara Present:
 Saving Paradise on the Central Coast, An Evening with Rick Cole
Wednesday, November 9th, 7:00 p.m.
 David Gephard Room, in City of Santa Barbara Public Works Department
630 Garden Street, Santa Barbara CA

The talk will be followed by questions and discussion.

In a time when gas and housing prices are going through the roof, Ventura City
Manager talks about the pressing issues that will determine the future of
communities like Santa Barbara and Ventura. Called "one of Southern
California's most visionary planning thinkers" by the Los Angeles Times, Cole
puts the local issues facing Central Coast communities in the context of
global
forces reshaping cities around the world.

"'All politics is local - even global politics,” Cole says. "Here in
Southern
California, we have one car for every driver.  And our zoning codes mean we
now
have seven parking spaces for every car. If China copies our model, that's
seven billion more parking spaces in China alone. That's not just a problem
for
pandas -- that's a global environmental catastrophe. Right now we are 6% of
the
planet's population, but consume 22% of its fossil fuels.  By 2015, though,
China will surpass us as the globe's largest gas guzzler. The choices we make
in our communities today will determine our standard of living and quality of
life when gas hits seven bucks a gallon."

Cole is the former Mayor of Pasadena and Southern California Director of the
Local Government Commission.  Along with architect Frank Gehry, LA Mayor
Antonio Villagraigosa and the National Resources Defense Council, he was
recently honored by the Congress for New Urbanism with their "Civic Arts"
award
for lifetime achievement.