[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} Kilowatt Ours Film Screening

Path to Freedom dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Tue Jan 3 11:40:36 PST 2006

Greetings and Happy New Year

Read the entire e-calendar online at www.pathtofreedom.com/ecalendar.htm

The struggle against climate change is a struggle against much of what we have become. It is a struggle against some of our most fundamental urges.

We cannot call on others to stop flying if we still fly. We cannot ask the government to force us to change if we are not ready to change. The greatest fight of our lives will be fought not just out there, but also in here (pointing to chest).

~ George Monbiot ~

  Greetings fellow travelers,
I am sure you've noticed the lack of events these past few months.  This is a result of our busy schedule!
For those of you who haven't been keeping track of what has been happening at PTF, here are a few, brief excuses:
In November we took a trip to New Orleans to volunteer our services and help out friends and relatives who were affected by Hurricane Katrina.
Thoughts about our trip to "desolation row" can be found at:
 www.pathtofreedom.com/journal/neworleans.shtml

We have also moved on to the next steps in our self-sufficient journey.
The backyard is undergoing a huge process of redesign and we are excited about the progress we are making in further transforming our homestead. We finally removed the massive concrete patio which for years had been our self-watering container garden. This new area will be turned into a beautiful edible garden complete with greywater reclamation and rainwater harvesting features.
In late December we finally worked up to purchasing a greywater filtration system from Australia and a composting toilet from Canada.  We are waiting with great anticipation for them to delivered in the new year.

Also, in our attempts to reduce any unnecessary energy consumption but to also keep warm this winter, we are using vintage 1915 kerosene heaters that quickly heat up  a room - fueled by our very own homebrewed biodiesel instead of kerosene!
The cob oven has been put to good use, baking all sorts of goodies from bread to pies.

Our journey towards sustainability means reducing our electricity usage and using more hand powered devices. Reliance on anything will make you vulnerable, so this new year we are determined to lessen our dependence on unnecessary energy sources and continue to do our best to conserve.
Our declaration this year is to "ACT OUTSIDE THE BOX."  Read more about our adventures at our new and improved online journal at www.pathtofreedom.com/journal
Wishing everyone a blessed and bountiful new year.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS: January

> Kilowatt Ours film screening - with filmmaker Jeff Barrie

KILOWATT OURS - A Plan to Re-Energize America
w/ SPECIAL GUEST: Filmmaker Jeff Barrie

What would you find if you traced the wires from your light switch to the energy source?
Mountain top removal, global warming, childhood asthma. or hope?

WHEN:  Saturday, January 21
WHERE: Path to Freedom, Pasadena
TIME: 5:30 pm - 9pm
FEE:  $5 - $10 (sliding scale donation)
RSVP: Space is limited, reserve @ www.pathtofreedom.com/outreach/events/kilowattours.htm

FOOD: This event includes a potluck so please bring refreshments to share with others from the community.

To make this a green event; re-useable plates, cups, and utensils will be provided to ensure there is no unnecessary waste!

All other waste (i.e., plastic wrappers and food, drink containers) and food scraps will be recycled, composted or fed to Path to Freedom's pet chickens and ducks.

EVENT DESCRIPTION:   This will not be your ordinary film screening!  The event will be as low energy and low tech as possible.

Alternative lighting sources, biodiesel burning oil lamps and candles will provide light, a green, renewable energy source will be used to power the movie.

The film screening will be followed by Q&A session with filmmaker.

Note: this event will be held partially outdoors, so please dress warmly!

FILM DESCRIPTION:   Kilowatt Ours reveals the often unreported consequences of our predominantly coal and nuclear powered economy. The film opens with Vice President Dick Cheney's energy policy speech in which Cheney makes the claim that America needs nearly 1900 new power plants in the next 20 years to meet projected electricity demands.

>From here, filmmaker Jeff Barrie takes viewers on a journey from the coal mines of West Virginia to the solar panel fields of Florida, as he discovers solutions to America's energy related problems.

Along the way, Jeff and his wife Heather share a plan to eliminate their use of coal and nuclear power at home by employing energy conservation, efficiency and clean, affordable renewable power. Through their learning experience, viewers discover how they can save hundreds of dollars annually on energy bills.  www.kilowattours.org

SPECIAL GUEST: Jeff Barrie's mission is to advocate a new way of thinking and living that minimizes harm to the natural world while improving our quality of life, the health of our environment and the well-being of our neighbors.

Jeff and his wife finally reached their goal of 100% renewable power at home!

Follow our path...

Organic Gardening, Urban Permaculture, Solar Energy, Homebrew Biodiesel,
Citified Farm Animals, Cob Oven, Waste & Water Reclamation, Appropriate
Technologies & More!

  ~ A pioneering journey towards self sufficiency, one step at a time ~

PATH TO FREEDOM
  Sustainable Living Resource Center & Urban Homestead

  Jules Dervaes (founder /director)
  631 Cypress Ave
  Pasadena, CA  91103
  phone: 626.795.8400
  email:  dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
  web: www.PathtoFreedom.com

In our society growing food yourself has become the most radical of acts. It
is truly the only effective protest, one that can-and will-overturn the
corporate powers that be. By the process of directly working in harmony with
nature, we do the one thing most essential to change the world-we change
ourselves.    ~  Jules Dervaes ~