[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} May Event

Path to Freedom dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Tue May 9 09:38:28 PDT 2006

---------------------NEWS----------------------------------

:: READY OR NOT DEBUT ::

It was a packed auditorium as three films debuted at the Norris Theatre on the USC campus Saturday night.  The first film took a look at a group of young Latinos in the JROTC program at San Pedro High School, the second was 'Ready or Not' (which our family was a part of) that touched on the issues of bird flu pandemic, global warming and peak oil. Finally the third, and most touching film, was about a Korean's family emotional scars and the effect the LA riots had on their family and business.

Unfortunately, there were so many people we weren't able to meet all the folks who attended and came out to support PTF.  If we weren't able to see you and thank you in person, we want to thank you all for coming out.  It was good to see new faces and spend time with friends we hadn't seen in awhile.

Also, thanks again for the film crew's hard work and long hours.  They said it was tough to put together this film because they were dealing with three hard hitting issues and to condense the content into a 30 minute segment was a challenge.   Out of the 15 or so hours they spent on the homestead, the footage was condensed to less than 10 minutes.   They agreed it could have been more in depth, but with the limited time frame, they barely touched the tip of the iceberg on the serious forecast of the future that may lie in store for us or future generations.
Check out the journal page to see a group photo and read more about PTF night out  www.pathtofreedom.com/journal

---------------------CALENDAR - MAY----------------------------------

FILM SCREENING & "100 Mile" POTLUCK

The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil

When:  Sunday, May 21
Time:  6:00 p.m. -  9:00 p.m.
Where: Path to Freedom, 631 Cypress Ave, Pasadena
Cost: $5-$10 donation

::RSVP::  please reserve for this event at www.pathtofreedom/calendar

::Film Description:: Cuba is a living example of how a country can successfully traverse what we all will have to deal with sooner or later, the reduction and loss of finite fossil fuel resources.

The goals of this film are to give hope to the developed world as it wakes up to the consequences of being hooked on oil, and to lift American's prejudice of Cuba by showing the Cuban people as they are. The filmmakers do this by having the people tell their story on film. It's a story of their dedication to independence and triumph over adversity, and a story of cooperation and hope. Several Cubans expressed the belief that living on an island, with its natural boundaries, breeds awareness that there are limits to natural resources.

Everyone who has worked on the documentary hopes that, seeing this film, people will also see the world on which we live, as another, much larger, island.  http://www.communitysolution.org/cuba.html

100 MILE POTLUCK

Eat Local Challenge: May 2006

PTF joins the Bay Area Locavores (www.locavores.com) as they challenged people from all over the world to eat within a 100 mile radius of their home

We invite all local eaters (this means you) to join us in a celebration of our local food cornucopia and in an effort to raise our own awareness of our place within the foodshed.

::Potluck Guidelines:: Our goal for this potluck is to eat from within a 100 mile radius of our homes. Failing that, we will attempt to eat foods that come from within our State, or are purchased directly from small scale farmers elsewhere in the world. Some of us will interpret these guidelines more strictly than others, but the main goal is to pay attention to where the food that we eat comes from.

More info about food miles check out a few handy references at http://www.pathtofreedom.com/popups/eatlocal.htm

REMEMBER THE PLEDGE OF THE LOCAVORE:

If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic.
If not ORGANIC, then Family farm.
If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business.
If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, then Fair Trade.

::Event Schedule::

6:00 - 7:00 pm - "100 Mile" Potluck
7:30 pm  - Film screening
8:30 -9:00 pm - Discussion

RSVP at www.pathtofreedom/calendar
{ if you decide not to attend, please be considerate, and send us an email informing us of your cancellation}

Note: If there is more interest than space we have available, it may be that we will schedule another screening.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:: ZERO WASTE & LOW IMPACT ::

We, at Path to Freedom, endeavor to make our each of our events as "eco- friendly" as possible with solar (or other "alternative green") electricity, oil/biodiesel lamps, candles and a "low or zero waste policy" by providing reusable plates, cups, and utensils to ensure there is no unnecessary waste.

All other waste (i.e., plastic wrappers, glass bottles, food containers, etc) and food scraps are recycled, reused, composted or fed to our pet chickens and ducks.  { http://www.pathtofreedom.com/popups/zerowaste.htm }

Follow our path...
Organic Gardening, Urban Permaculture, Solar Energy, Homebrew Biodiesel,
Citified Farm Animals, Cob Oven, Waste & Water Reclamation, Appropriate
Technologies & More!

  ~ A pioneering journey towards self sufficiency, one step at a time ~

PATH TO FREEDOM
  Sustainable Living Resource Center & Urban Homestead

  Jules Dervaes (founder /director)
  631 Cypress Ave
  Pasadena, CA  91103
  phone: 626.795.8400
  email:  dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
  web: www.PathtoFreedom.com

In our society growing food yourself has become the most radical of acts. It
is truly the only effective protest, one that can-and will-overturn the
corporate powers that be. By the process of directly working in harmony with
nature, we do the one thing most essential to change the world-we change
ourselves.    ~  Jules Dervaes ~

Don't want any more emails?