[Scpg] Thursday, May 25 Lecture New Frontiers in Community Design Randy Hayes also Friday, May 26 WALK: Piecing Together a Sustainable Isla Vista and Saturday, May 27 Workshop

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue May 23 06:20:38 PDT 2006

1. Thursday, May 25 Lecture: New Frontiers in Community Design Randy Hayes,
Director of Sustainability for the City of Oakland, and Executive Director
of the International Forum on Globalization, will explain how Oakland is
trying to bring the global revolution in sustainable policies and practices
to our urban centers. Free admission, Thornton Auditorium,
Wake Center, Goleta Thursday, May 25, 7: 30 p.m. Google Maps Mapquest

2. Friday, May 26 WALK: Piecing Together a Sustainable Isla Vista
Come join Randy Hayes, Sustainability Director for the City of Oakland, as
we walk on Pardall Road and adjoining areas and explore the plans and
possibilities of sustainable community design for Isla Vista. We will look
at the pieces of the sustainable community vision in Isla Vista from the
Housing Co-op, the new AS Composting Project, Isla Vista Food Co-op,
restoration of the Isla Vista Freebox, future plans for the pardall
business area. We will also address accessibility and transportation
concerns ranging from disabled access, bikes and mass transit. Presented by
EAB and IV TALC!
Meet at Embarcadero Hall, Across from Woodstock's Pizza
935 Embarcadero Del Norte, Friday, May 26, 10: 30 a.m. Google Maps Mapquest

3. Saturday, May 27 Workshop: The Politics of Sustainable Urban Design and
Development Come join Rick Cole, Ventura City Manager and Woody Clark,
Energy Director for the LA Community College District and International
Lead Energy Advisor for Inner Mongolia, People's Republic of China, and
other guests in a discussion of how local political leaders and community
activists can negotiate sustainable living initiatives to bring together
communities divided by race and class. SBCC EBS Building, Room 309, Santa
Barbara
Saturday, May 27, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Free admission. Lunch available for purchase.
Class Number for above events: 00142201
Google Maps Mapquest