[Scpg] Invitation to regional "Peak Oil" seminar

eric werbalowsky ewerb at ewerb.com
Fri Jun 23 14:10:43 PDT 2006

peak oil? catchy name for colorado gas station?...

in the early 80's we heard we'd be tooling about in solar powered hovercraft by now...so how come dinosaur juice is still peaking and i still hear arlo guthrie singing about ending the war - i dunno -- anyway...tune up yr bike

ew

Peak Oil:
 How the tri-counties can prepare  for
 the next energy crisis

 A one-day seminar for regional businesses, government agencies and  community leaders

 Hosted by the Community Environmental Council  &
 Santa Barbara Chamber of Commerce

 Thursday, July  13
 9 am to 3 pm -  lunch provided
 SB Chamber of Commerce
 924 Anacapa St.  Suite 1

 Keynote speaker:
 Randy Udall, Director of  the Community  Office for Resource Efficiency (CORE), Aspen, Colorado and
 Board member of the American chapter  of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil

 Agenda and additional speakers  TBA

 Cost:  $15,  includes lunch

 Seminar description:
 There is mounting evidence that worldwide we have reached -- or will soon reach -- the peak point of oil production. A recent report  by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers examining energy security found that "we are at or near a peak in global  oil production."  (View  the report here) Today's Santa Barbara  News-Press looks at how California is more vulnerable than the rest of the  country, with more than half of the state's imported oil coming from  just three countries: Saudi Arabia, Ecuador and  Iraq.

 Is our region prepared for drastic increases in energy  costs, or disruptions in supply? How far can renewable energy sources such as  wind, solar, ethanol and biodiesel take us? Please join us for this important invitation-only discussion about the impending global oil shortage  and what it means to the tri-counties.

  Limited seating; pre-registration required:
 jenny at cecmail.org
 Jenny Phillips: 805.963.0583, ext.  104

 The Community Environmental Council  is a local non-profit whose goal is to wean  our region off fossil fuels by 2033. For  details, visit www.fossilfreeby33.org