[Scpg] ~*June/July 2006/SB Permaculture Networ/Monthly Events Announcement List

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Jun 23 23:45:10 PDT 2006

***Apologies arashi readers, an incomplete DRAFT copy of our monthly
newsletter
was mistakenly sent out by me last week, this is our completed calendar of
events with correct dates etc, as it should read.
Wes Roe, SBPN.
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Monthly Events Announcement JUNE/JULY 2006
Hi Everyone-

        Well our big fundraising event for 2006 is almost here.  Last year we
had Permaculture co-founder David Holmgren speaking about Energy Descent
and the
end of cheap fossil fuels as an energy source.  This year we are very excited
to have Geoff Lawton, Director of the Permaculture Research Institute at
Tagari
Farms in New South Wales, Australia, speaking about "Permaculture &
Sustainable
Aid in the 21st Century; How to Change the Paradigm of Emergency Disaster
Relief & Development to a Model of Life Affirming Assistance".

        Geoff is one of the most accomplished permaculture teachers and
designers in the world, often working in ecologically degraded areas,
sometimes
those experiencing extreme cultural conflicts. Today we are faced with the
additional knowledge that the Earth's ecosystems are in crisis, Geoff shares
Permaculture's practical, positive solutions and asks us to be a part of an
exciting future of positive world change.  We met Geoff at a conference in
2000, where he talked of his work with CARE International in Macedonia, at one
of the largest refugee camps since World War Two, created as a result of the
war in the Balkans.  We were amazed at the large scale restoration & repair
work he did, not only for the damage done by the refugee camp itself, but also
helping to mitigate hundreds of years of extreme erosion in that area.
Present
at the conference were a group of young Macedonians who had taken a PC design
course taught by Geoff, and very much inspired by him and his work, only a
year
later had fanned out to teach courses in their own region of the world.

After Hurricane Katrina last summer, will we ever view emergency relief in the
same way?  If we experience more natural or man made disasters, will we find a
better way to respond to each others needs, which might be our own?  How can
care be designed into a system that best serves the people?  Katrina also
showed us how many people wanted to help, but couldn't, faced with many, many
obstacles.

Geoff will be joined by Nadia Abu Yahia and Andrew Jones for the 2 day
workshop
as they talk about their aid work around the world, with exploration of ideas
that include not only temporary emergency measures, but long term development,
land care restoration strategies, and ecological design. Also discussed
will be
plans to develop an International Permaculture Aid training center.  For an
example of Geoff's work, please go to www.permaculture.org.au, to see the web
video Greening of the Desert  documenting a project in Jordan.

The conference begins with an evening lecture on June 30, followed by a two
day
workshop on July 1 & 2.  Both will be held at the Santa Barbara City College
West Campus, in the Fe Bland Auditorium.  Please see below for more
details.  We
would love to have members offer places to stay for those coming from out of
town to attend this event, it is on the holiday weekend before July 4th,
making
it difficult to find accommodations.  Please contact us if you would like to
take advantage of this opportunity to meet and share with other permaculture
folks.  One of our long time members says sharing her house is her favorite
way
to give back to us and the community!

Sustainable World Radio on public radio station KCSB 91.9fm continues to
interview lot's of permaculture people, they will have Geoff, Nadia &
Andrew on
for a special two hour show on Friday June 30, from 9-11am, please tune in,
also
streaming live at www.kcsb.org.  They welcome  calls and questions during the
show.

We are also hoping people are staying alert to what is happening in Los
Angeles
with the South Central Farm (www.southcentralfarmers.org) which was raided
last
week by LAPD and the LA Sherriff's Dept., helicopters and bulldozers.  This
was
a lush 14 acre oasis in the middle of concrete jungle, growing food and
feeding
many families, and was in the process of raising funds to purchase the
property
through a landtrust.  Visit their website to decide whether you feel worth
supporting, they can use donations large and small.  Originally they asked
everyone to just send a dollar, always powerful to have all the people pitch
in, but $10, $20,$100 would be great!

Hope to see you at one of these events soon-
Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

Schedule & Events/ Info JUNE/JULY 2006:

1) KCSB Sustainable World Radio: Interview with Geoff Lawton, Nadia Abu Yahia,
& Andrew Young on Sustainable Aid in the 21st Century

2) Permaculture & Sustainable Aid 3 Day Conference
<<<<

Event Details:

1). June 30, Friday, 9-11am Sustainable World Radio
Sustainable World Radio on public radio KCSB 91.9 fm special two hour
interview
with the keynote speakers for the 3 day conference Permaculture & Sustainable
Aid for the 21st Century.
Also streaming live on www.kcsb.org.

2). June 30th, July 1 & 2 Permaculture & Sustainable Aid 3 Day Conference:
Santa Barbara City College West Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium, 721 Cliff Dr,
Santa Barbara, CA

Permaculture & Sustainable Aid for the 21st Century:
How to Change the Paradigm of Emergency Disaster Relief & Development
to a Model of Life Affirming Assistance

Evening Lecture  with Geoff Lawton, Friday, June 30, 7pm,
$15 (Seniors, Students $10)
(Fundraiser for Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & Education Programs)
No reservations required, pay at the door

2 day Workshop July 1 & July 2, 2006
$120 pre-registered, $140 at the door, Seniors/Students $100, scholarships
available for students
Send & make out checks to SB Permaculture Network, PO Box 92156, SB, CA 93190
(cost is to pay for 3 speaker fees and their flights (Australia) members who
want to help with additional tax deductable donations to help fund this
program, please contact us.  All of our programs are volunteer organized and
paid for by the program itself, i.e., attendee fees)

<<<<
Press Release:

        As Americans we have often thought of emergency disaster relief in
terms of sending aid to other countries, after Hurricane Katrina we also see a
need to know how to respond in a better way to our own natural disasters.
Natural disasters, wars, famines, how does the human family respond to each
other’s needs during these overwhelmingly stressful times? What new models can
we create to assist each other better?

        Join renowned permaculture teachers and designers Geoff Lawton, Nadia
Abu Yahia, and international aid worker Andrew Jones, on July 1 and July 2,
2006, as they share their experiences working around the globe in recent
disaster zones and longer term refugee camps, existing from circumstances the
world may have already forgotten.

        The model of aid permaculture has to offer is vastly different from
conventional aid, it includes long term development, land care strategies, and
allies itself strongly with the eco-village movement, which incorporates
ecological design and natural building techniques for even temporary
structures.   Permaculture recognizes that most people have an innate need to
help when disaster strikes, and a huge cost to cultures if systems aren't
designed with viable ways to both assist and be assisted whenever a need might
arise.

        Permaculture is a design system based on ecological principles for
creating sustainable human environments, and is one of the most holistic,
integrated systems analysis and design methodologies found in the world.
Originally coined from the words PERMAnent agriCULTURE, it has evolved to one
of permanent or sustainable culture with consciously designed landscapes that
mimic the patterns of nature.

        Geoff Lawton is the Director of the Permaculture Research Institute in
Australia, assuming the position from Permaculture founder Bill Mollison.
Lawton has worked for clients that include communities, governments, aid
organizations, non-government organizations and multi-national companies.
Lawton has served clients in 17 different countries, including Jordan, Iraq,
Egypt , USA, Mexico, Macedonia,Vietnam, Costa Rica, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru,
England, Denmark, Australia and the South Pacific. A recent project in Jordan
is documented on a video called Greening the Desert available for viewing on
his website (www.permaculture.org.au).

        Nadia Abu Yahia (Lawton) was born in the Dead Sea Valley in Jordan.
She
learned traditional ways of land use from her father, an expert farmer and
herbal healer of Palestinian, Bedouin descent. She later went on to complete
her permaculture diploma in design, education and site development and has
recently become a registered permaculture teacher.

        Andrew Jones has 10 years of international experience in emergency
response, post conflict
development and rehabilitation, working extensively for CARE International,
the
United Nations, and various NGO’s such as SurfAid International.  Jones is a
board member of the Permaculture Research Institute in Australia and Director
of the consulting firm, Full Circle (www.fullcirclellc.com). He has worked in
the Middle East, South Pacific, Asia, Europe and the United States, most
recently in Indonesia in a post-tsunami recovery context.

        The conference takes place at the Santa Barbara City College West
Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium, 721 Cliff Drive.  The lecture is on Friday, June
30, 7pm, cost $15, pay at the door, no reservations required.  Workshop,
Saturday, July 1, 9-5pm, and Sunday, July 2, 9-4pm.  Workshop cost is $120
with
pre-registration, $140 at the door, Students $100, student scholarships
available. The Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, SBCC Environmental Studies
Program, Nutiva, and Hopedance Media sponsor the event. For more info and
registration, contact: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network,
margie at sbpermaculture.org; 805-962-2571; www.sbpermaculture.org .
Send checks for the workshop made out to: SB Permaculture Network, PO Box
92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190.

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous