[Scpg] Annual Permaculture News, 2006

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 13:35:49 PDT 2006

(Please forward or post as appropriate. )

The following topics are covered below:

*   Our 11th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online Begins Nov. 5.

*   Faculty added to the permaculture design course.

*   New Barking Frogs Permaculture web site.

*   New features to the permaculture design course online

*   Scholarship Application Deadline

*   Internships at Barking Frogs Permaculture Center.

*   Massachusetts permaculture site available to buy.

o   The 11th annual Elfin Permaculture Design Course Online begins Nov. 5,
2006, and runs about six months.   Learning tools include a course CD with more
than 300 items including instructors' "lectures," data bases, handbooks,
pamphlets, sample designs, and reference materials.   Students complete a minimum
of four reports each, including a full permaculture design report, complete
weekly readings, and discuss readings and designs via conventional email. During
the course cycle, we frequently send students emails with supplemental
materials. Persons not enrolled in the course may enroll as silent monitors for the
price of the course CD.   The highly discounted course reading list is
available to all students and a self-study version is available to monitors or others
for who wish to advance their permaculture knowledge and skills at their own
pace.   For information, download the course preregistration package from
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org or request the package from BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com
  Tuition will remain frozen at the old level until Jan. 1, 2007, when there
will be a general tuition increase. See the Course Fee Table on our web site
or in the course protocol for fees, which vary according to how the student
customizes participation in the course.

o   Willem Smuts, associated with the Elfin Permaculture online course for
more than 10 years, will lead discussions beginning in cycle 11 of the online
course.   Dan Hemenway, who designed this online version of the certificate
permaculture course, will continue to oversee and review student design projects
and make certification decisions, and Cynthia Hemenway, CNM, will continue to
lead the course's unique Design for Health module.   Robert Waldrop, key person
in the Oklahoma Food Cooperative and the Oklahoma Sustainability Network,
will serve as assistant instructor.   Biographical info on the instructors is
available at www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

o   Robert Waldrop has created our new web site at
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org The site is now up and running and includes all basic documents to
date.

o   We have added two new features to the Elfin Permaculture Design Course to
make it more flexible and useful to a broader spectrum of prospective
permaculturists.   Certificate students now can select either of two alternatives for
completing the full required permaculture design report. Students seeking
relatively prompt certification can elect the “fast track”, which enables them
to earn certification, with intensive work, within the framework of the
six-month cycles.   Now students who wish a longer period of support on the design
process can take up to two years to complete their design and get certification.
 Students must elect either the “fast track” or the “deliberate track”
early in the course cycle.   Enrollment in either track is limited because review
of design reports is a time consuming job.   Download the course protocol from
our web site for details.   As of July 1, 2006, is the option to take the
course on a not-for-certification basis at a reduced tuition.   Non-certificate
students may present design reports for up to two readings with review and
commentary by one of the instructors.   If the details are not yet up on our web
site, contact BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com .   The non-certificate status is a
superior way to get sustained consulting on a design for one's home at much less
cost than one-on-one consulting fees.   Moreover the student receives input from
the entire class, not just one permaculturists.

•   The deadline for scholarship applications to our online course is Aug. 1.
  This is the deadline every year.   Download instructions from our web site,
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

o Up to two simultaneous internships are available at Barking Frogs
Permaculture Center for people age18 or over living locally or willing to tent.
Interns may elect to complete work on the Barking Frogs guest quarters and then use
them for the balance of the internship.   Internships can be for any portion
of the year or for an entire year, as we can work out of doors at all seasons
in our Florida site.   There is no charge for training. Successful interns may
move on to develop profit sharing enterprises based on use of our
permaculture site. For details, download the intern FAQs from the Barking Frogs web site.
  The FAQs provide instructions for applying for an internship.   We cannot
consider prospective interns who do not follow these instructions.   Interns
who have completed a certificate Elfin Permaculture Design Course may be given
advanced work.   Interns may be allowed to monitor the online course if it is
running during their internship.   In addition to general implementation,
operation and management of our design, interns may specialize in projects such as
chinampas building and management, tree crops/agroforestry/forest garden work,
aquaculture, livestock integration, bamboo growing and utilization, roof
catchment and cistern systems, various building, repair, earthworks, and masonry
projects, etc.

o   About 18 acres of land which has received no toxic chemicals for at least
25 years, longer in most parts, are available in Williamsburg, Massachusetts,
just north of Northampton.   The site is not "developed", but includes
plantings of fully mature black walnut, blueberries, and other tree crops.   Mostly
wooded, it is bounded by a year-round excellent trout stream on one side.
Purchase will include a full day of consulting by Dan Hemenway, co-owner of the
land.   The site is presently in a form of conservation status with greatly
reduced taxes. This is transferable to a new owner of at least 5 acres.   We will
 subdivide, if desired, but only in a rational pattern that is best for the
land.   Frontage is an excellent county road, and the site, while very rural,
is accessible to cultural resources in Northampton by car within 10 to 15
minutes, a bit longer by bus.   Contact Dan Hemenway at BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com with
specific questions.

To be removed from this list:
     Individuals:   Reply with “remove” in the message field.
     Groups:   Removal from our list will delete your name from our TRIP (The
Resources of International Permaculture) database, used by many
permaculturists for networking.   If you do not which your email address to be used for
networking, reply typing “remove” in the message field.

Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

Our 11th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online begins Nov. 5, 2006. The
protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol7_05_06.pdf

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles also may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html