[Scpg] {Path to Freedom} "The Great Warming" comes to Pasadena

Path to Freedom dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Tue Aug 1 12:39:17 PDT 2006

::FILM SCREENING & "100 Mile" POTLUCK::

Join Path to Freedom and Messiah Lutheran Church/Iglesia Luterana Mesias for a screening of...

THE GREAT WARMING (80 min)  --  Narrated by Alanis Morisette and Keanu Reeves
It's more than just the heat....

We are living at the dawn of a new epoch. Year by year, degree by degree, Earth is growing warmer... a legacy of the Industrial Revolution, population growth, and our addiction to technology, speed and power.

Just as other generations spoke of a Great Plague and a Great Depression, our children will be compelled to endure The Great Warming - and find a way to conquer its consequences.

When:  Sunday, August 13th
Time: 6:00 pm
Where: Messiah Lutheran Church is located just down the road from Path to Freedom at 570 E. Orange Grove Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91104, on the southwest corner of Orange Grove Blvd and Madison Avenue.
Cost: $5 - $15 suggested donation / Space is limited so please rsvp
RSVP at http://www.pathtofreedom.com/calendar
{ if you decide not to attend, please be considerate, and send us an email informing us of your cancellation}

::Directions::

>From the 210 freeway:  Exit at the Lake Avenue exit.  Head north (toward the mountains).  Turn left / head west on Orange Grove Blvd.  Turn left on Madison Ave after going through the light at El Molino.

Directions from PTF: Turn left/head east on Orange Grove Blvd.  Turn right on Madison Avenue, two blocks after going through the light at Los Robles.

>From Gold Line:  Get off at Lake Ave.  Go north on Lake Ave (toward the mountains) and make a left on Maple St heading west, a one-way street running parallel to and immediately to the north of the 210 freeway.  Cross the intersection at El Molino and take the next right (north) on Madison Ave.  Cross Villa St and continue north on Madison to the church just south of Orange Grove.  The distance is less than 3/4 of a mile.

Parking: Park in the small lot next to the church off Madison Ave or along Madison Ave.
The film will be shown in the church hall located just to the west of the church building.

::Event Schedule::

6:00 - 7:00 pm - "100 Mile" Potluck (details below)
7:30 pm  - Film screening  'The Great Warming'

::Film Description::

It's been called "THE BEST FILM ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING EVER PRODUCED."  This dramatic and enlightening 80 minute documentary narrated by Alanis Morissette and Keanu Reeves, revealing how climate change is affecting the lives of people everywhere, with stunning footage from around the world.

Produced by Stonehaven Productions, The Great Warming is not only about our global environment, it also looks at the influence of climate change on politics, religion, science, education, energy and economics. The film interweaves startling statements of fact from scientists, opinion-makers and social leaders with a blunt assessment of America's leadership - or lack of it - in what is clearly the most critical environmental issue of the 21st century. It examines evidence that human activities are provoking an unprecedented era of atmospheric warming and climatic events: more drought, wildfires, flooding, polar melting, more powerful storms, more variable weather. and unprecedented health impacts.

The Great Warming also showcases exciting initiatives aimed at reversing the trend toward permanent damage to our planet, as well as scenes documenting the emerging voice of America's Evangelical community urging action on climate change from pulpits across the country.

Read more about this documentary http://www.thegreatwarming.com/

WHAT CAN I DO?

One person, one action can make a difference http://www.thegreatwarming.com/howtogetinvolved.html

How big of impact do you have on the planet? Check out this 'Personal Impact Calculator' http://reference.aol.com/nowyouknow/globalwarming/calculator

:: 100 MILE POTLUCK ::

Continuing the Eat Local Challenge

PTF joins the Bay Area Locavores (www.locavores.com) as they challenge people from all over the world to eat within a 100 mile radius of their home.

We invite all local eaters (this means you) to join us in a celebration of our local food cornucopia and in an effort to raise our own awareness of our place within the foodshed.

::Potluck Guidelines:: Our goal for this potluck is to eat from within a 100 mile radius of our homes. Failing that, we will attempt to eat foods that come from within our State, or are purchased directly from small scale farmers elsewhere in the world. Some of us will interpret these guidelines more strictly than others, but the main goal is to pay attention to where the food that we eat comes from.

More info about food miles check out a few handy references at http://www.pathtofreedom.com/popups/eatlocal.htm

REMEMBER THE PLEDGE OF THE LOCAVORE:

If not FROM BACKYARD then locally produced.
If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic.
If not ORGANIC, then Family farm.
If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business.
If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, then Fair Trade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:: ZERO WASTE & LOW IMPACT ::

We, at Path to Freedom, endeavor to make our each of our events as "eco- friendly" as possible with solar (or other "alternative green") electricity, oil/biodiesel lamps, candles and a "low or zero waste policy" by providing reusable plates, cups, and utensils to ensure there is no unnecessary waste.

All other waste (i.e., plastic wrappers, glass bottles, food containers, etc) and food scraps are recycled, reused, composted or fed to our pet chickens and ducks.  { http://www.pathtofreedom.com/popups/zerowaste.htm }

Follow our path...
Organic Gardening, Urban Permaculture, Solar Energy, Homebrew Biodiesel,
Citified Farm Animals, Cob Oven, Waste & Water Reclamation, Appropriate
Technologies & More!

  ~ A pioneering journey towards self sufficiency, one step at a time ~

PATH TO FREEDOM
  Sustainable Living Resource Center & Urban Homestead

  Jules Dervaes (founder /director)
  631 Cypress Ave
  Pasadena, CA  91103
  phone: 626.795.8400
  email:  dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
  web: www.PathtoFreedom.com

In our society growing food yourself has become the most radical of acts. It
is truly the only effective protest, one that can-and will-overturn the
corporate powers that be. By the process of directly working in harmony with
nature, we do the one thing most essential to change the world-we change
ourselves.    ~  Jules Dervaes ~

Don't want any more emails?