[Scpg] Ventura cob work-days

Rachel Morris rachelmorris at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 17:39:00 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

We've got a few earthen-building (cob) work-days planned for August and
September, here on the West side of Ventura. If you've got the inclination
to get muddy, and can help us build our little earth-garden-studio, please
let me know. I've put together some information and a calendar below, but
feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Peace and Health,

-Rachel

(805)648-1267

PS - Feel free to pass this along to interested friends.

Ventura Cob Garden-Studio Raising

Please come help us finish building our earthen garden-studio before the
rainy season! The walls are about 50% completed, with an arched doorway and
a couple of windows.

If you plan to help, we ask that you try to attend from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00
p.m. so that you'll have time to build after you mix your batch of cob
material.

Please let us know which day or days you'd like to come over, so we can make
sure there are not too many people on one day (we wish), and so we can plan
for food.

Daily Schedule:

9:00 meet, discuss the project, review materials & making cob, prep

10:00 start mixing batches of cob

12:30  lunch break - (Simple lunch provided.)

1:30 move the cob to the site

2:00 review cob building technique

2:30 start building with your cob batch

3:30 wash up, clean tools, clean up site

Calendar:

Saturday - August 12

Sunday - August 20

Saturday - August 26 (1st floor layer,  Not a regular cob day!)

Sunday - September 10

Saturday - September 16

TBD

Signing up to Help:

Contact: Rachel Morris: (805)648-1267 rachelmorris at earthlink.net

Please let us know which day(s) you'd like to come. Be sure to give me your
contact information if I don't already have it. I'll confirm that you're on
the calendar. Big thanks in advance!

What to Bring:

Wear stuff that can get really muddy. If you have surf booties, bring them.
Bring soft gloves that can get muddy. Bring a hat and sun screen, it can get
hot. Bring an old pair of socks.

Prep Work:

Walk around barefoot to toughen your feet a little. It's a good idea to trim
your nails for this work. Feel free to read about cob building. It's hard
work, so get enough sleep and eat your wheaties! (Note: we all work at our
own pace.)

www.songlabs.com/cob   7 months outdated, but it's a start. ;->