[Scpg] Call for Articles Winter 06 issue “Thriving in a Healthy Economy,” Community Magazine Deadline September 1st, 2006.

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Aug 10 08:51:31 PDT 2006

Hello,

               This is a Call for Articles for our Winter 2006 issue,
“Thriving in a Healthy Economy,” out in December, 2006.

1. Theme articles: What is a “steady state” economy and how would it
benefit us? What does “global economic collapse” mean and what does it mean
for communities, intentional and otherwise? What can intentional
communities and organized neighborhoods do to prepare? If you or your
community has insights or information, or even better,  a story about your
discussions about this and what you may be doing (or not doing), we’d like
to share it with our readers.

2. We are also seeking articles about:

• Creating community in your neighborhood

• Seeking caommunity to join

• Starting a new community

• Process & communication issues in community

Please let me know your article idea soon, ideally by August 16-23.

             .

The deadline for finished articles is September 1st,  2006.

(If you would like me to remove you from this 'Call for Articles' email
list, please let me know.)

             Word length is from 900 to 2500 words.

             We’re seeking articles written in a reader-friendly
popular-magazine style, rather than in academic style.

             If you'd like to write an article, let me know and I'll send
you our Writers Guidelines. Email me at
<mailto:communities at ic.org>communities at ic<mailto:communities at ic.org>.org or
call 828-669-9702 with your article idea or question, ideally by August 16-23.

             I am sending this to you because you have either written for
Communities magazine before, or inquired about writing for us, because I
hope you might submit an article one day, or because you subscribe to
Cohousing_L.

I. WHAT "SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE" MEANS. We will promise to read your
article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it
and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit,
shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about
this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. GETTING PERMISSION AHEAD OF TIME. Please send the article only when you
have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community
members. It’s difficult for us to get all set to run an article only to
find that the author’s fellow community members say No at the last minute.

III. PUBLICATION RIGHTS. Once your article appears in Communities magazine,
we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article
appears in Communities magazine the first time it appears in North America.
After that, you own it again. If you’d like to use it elsewhere, you can,
and, we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying “This
article first appeared in Communities magazine, (date); for further
information on Communities magazine:
<http://www.ic.org>www.ic<http://www.ic.org>.org.”

IV. PHOTOS. We will also want high-resolution digital photos or hard-copy
photos (including snapshots) of people and/or communities to illustrate
your story.

             Photos don’t go to me, but to our photo editor Susan Patrice,
<mailto:susan at ic.org>susan at ic<mailto:susan at ic.org>.org. For more
information, please contact Susan directly.

             We will assume that any people in your photos have already
given you permission to appear in Communities magazine—or you already know
they will be fine with it.  If you think this will be a problem, please
take care of it before sending us photos. Thanks very much.

             If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply
photos, that's fine. Just let me know in advance!  Then if we use your
article we'll get an illustrator, but we need plenty of notice ahead of
time for this. Thank you.

V. COVER PHOTOS. We now have color covers and are also seeking vertically
oriented, color photos  for our front cover. We pay $150 for a cover photo
we publish.

             Are you interested?

             For a cover photo--which “sells” the magazine to newsstand
browsers--we’re looking for five features:

              (1) A vertical  photo of one or two people (or even three) in
the foreground or mid-foreground, engaged in doing something, or looking at
the camera.

             (2) They look right into the camera (so they can bridge to the
newsstand browser), with expressions of happiness, contentment,
thoughtfulness, or engagement, etc.

             (3) They’re wearing clothes in colors that look good together
(ideally bright, clear colors), and which don’t clash. (i.e. one person
isn’t wearing purple and the other orange.)

             (4) A community-type “scene” is visible behind them.

             (5) Something kind of blank, or relatively low contrast is in
the upper right or upper left corner, where we can put the issue name and
article titles.

             Again, cover photos don’t go to me, but to our photo editor
Susan Patrice, <mailto:susan at ic.org>susan at ic<mailto:susan at ic.org>.org. For
more information, please contact Susan directly.

Thank you very much! I look forward to hearing from you if you are inspired
by this topic.

We also publish articles on other subjects besides our issue theme, so if
you have another article idea, please let me know!

             Diana Leafe Christian
             Editor, Communities Magazine
             Contact
<mailto:communities at ic.org>communities at ic<mailto:communities at ic.org>.org or