[Scpg] THE ART OF COMMUNITY NORTHWEST CONFERENCE Co-Opportunities for Sustainability September 8-10, 2006 Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Aug 24 07:50:09 PDT 2006

masthead2.gif

This special announcement of an event sponsored by the Fellowship for
Intentional Community

----------

  Date: September 8-10, 2006
  Time: from 5 PM Friday to 10 PM Sunday
  Location: Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA
  More:
<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/>http://fic.ic.org/aofc<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/>/

  Register Now
  <http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>.com/event/4636

----------
Greetings! A team of committed community folks has been pulling together
what promises to be a great Art of Community event this fall in the
beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Our intention for the event is to promote and support communities that
recognize and practice sustainability. We will do this with interactive
workshops and panels, hearing from some fantastic plenary speakers,
interspersing music, art, a live auction, and plenty of networking
opportunities, including display and information tables hosted by
communities and sustainability-oriented organizations.

A number of well-known writers and community leaders will help as we weave
the web of community networks. Some of the presenters already scheduled
include:
    * Diana Leafe Christian, Communities magazine editor; author: Creating
    *   a Life Together
    * Lisa Fitzhugh, ArtCorps Executive Director
    * Mark Lakeman, Portland City Repair Coordinator
    * Geoph Kozeny, the Peripatetic Communitarian from Communities magazine
& Visions of Utopia producer
    * Vicki Robin, Cofounder of Conversation Cafes, and New Road Map
Foundation; Author, Your Money or Your Life
    * David Korten, Author, and The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth
Community and cofounder, Positive Futures Network
    * and more!

----------
WHY THIS CONFERENCE?

Here is a place to learn about working models of sustainability...and share
your own
ideas.

Art of Community Northwest will bring together people interested in
building community wherever they live, and will highlight successful and
sustainable efforts in a variety of communities.

This is a great opportunity to meet people from existing and forming
Northwest communities, including ecovillages, cohousing, egalitarian,
housing cooperatives.

Learn about ways to be more sustainable through green and natural building
techniques, creating community spaces, supporting local agriculture and
permaculture.

Community networks are joining the FIC to provide sponsorship support to
help ensure the event is a success. These include the Northwest Intentional
Communities Association (NICA), Cohousing Association of the United States
(Coho/US) and the Federation of Egalitarian Communities (FEC). Other
sponsors include nonprofits like Rites of Passage Journeys, Institute of
Noetic Sciences Northwest, and Yes! Magazine, plus business collaborators
such as GreenWorks Realty. Other community organizations, including Songaia
Cohousing Community and the International Puppydogs Movement are also
stepping up to support the event.

----------

Sliding scale online registration is fast and easy. Please register
in advance! This venue is expected to sell out, so we encourage you
to register now, to reserve your space.

REGISTER NOW
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>.com/event/4636

----------
MEALS AVAILABLE AT BASTYR - VEGAN AND VEGETARIAN OPTIONS!

Bastyr is known for its natural health education and great vegan and
vegetarian food service. Because of the relatively remote location of
Bastyr's campus, there are no restaurants in walking distance. We
recommend choosing meals on site, which you must sign up for in
advance, along with your registration.

MEALS ONLINE
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5455>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5455>.com/event/5455
Otherwise, bring some food along!

MORE ABOUT BASTYR, INCLUDING DIRECTIONS
<http://www.bastyr.edu/>http://www.bastyr<http://www.bastyr.edu/>.edu/

COMMUNITY BUS TOURS

We're pleased to include two community bus tours on Friday, September 8.

Tour 1 ($45) leaves Bastyr at 8:45am for tours of Bob the House, Apex
Cooperative, and Songaia Cohousing. Tour 1 includes a lunch with vegetarian
options available, served in the common house at Songaia Cohousing
Community and then returns to Bastyr by 1:15pm.

Tour 2 ($40) leaves Bastyr at 1:30pm for tours of Sunset House, Jackson
Place Cohousing, and Emma Goldman Finishing School. It returns to Bastyr by
5:45pm.

To reserve seats for either bus tour:
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/6409>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/6409>.com/event/6409

CAMPING OPTION AVAILABLE
Contact Fred Lanphear at
<mailto:fred at songaia.com>fred at songaia<mailto:fred at songaia.com>.com to get
information about a community that has offered to make camp sites available
to our attendees that weekend.

AUCTION ITEMS
If you have a product or service that the FIC can use in the benefit
auction, please contact Harvey Baker at
<mailto:Harvey at ic.org>Harvey at ic<mailto:Harvey at ic.org>.org who will keep the
inventory of items. Please also cc your message to Laird Schaub at
<mailto:laird at ic.org>laird at ic<mailto:laird at ic.org>.org . One of our team
members will follow up with you about how to get the item to our conference
site for Art of Community.

----------
A big thank you to our amazing sponsors! Check out their links on our
website:
<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/>http://fic.ic.org/aofc<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/>/
for more information about each of them.

Major Sponsors
Fellowship for Intentional Community
Northwest Intentional Community Association
Federation of Egalitarian Communities
International Puppydogs Movement
AM 1090 Progressive Talk
Greenworks Realty

Sustaining Sponsors
Rites of Passage Journeys

Supporting Sponsors
Cohousing Association of the United States
Yes! Magazine

Cooperating Sponsors
Songaia Cohousing Community
Institute of Noetic Sciences Northwest
The Heritage Institute
Goodenough Communitys
Greener Living Solutions
Sustainable Ballard

Costs for full weekend: Admission $60-$75 (sliding scale)

SUMMARY OF LINKS

Registration:
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636>.com/event/4636

Onsite Meals:
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5455>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5455>.com/event/5455

Bus Tour Tickets:
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/6409>http://www.brownpapertickets<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/6409>.com/event/6409

Event Schedule:
<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/ScheduleGrid.htm>http://fic.ic.org/aofc/ScheduleGrid.<http://fic.ic.org/aofc/ScheduleGrid.htm>htm

Kids and young adults are welcome. Ages 12 and under can come for free, but
we'd like to know how many are coming, so that we can plan appropriately
for kid program activities.

We look forward to seeing you at Art of Community Northwest!