[Scpg] Sept/Oct 2006 South Coast Permaculture Guild Monthly Mtg. Announcment

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Sep 15 11:05:35 PDT 2006

Hi Everyone

After a long hiatus, we will begin our South Coast Permaculture monthly guild
meetings in Santa Barbara  again on Thursday Sept 21, 2006 with
participation &
observance of the United Nations Year of Peace (see below for details).  Since
there is no true sustainability without peace, we thought a very good way to
begin.
Thursday, September 21 is the 25th annual United Nations International Day of
Peace.  Over 160 countries are commemorating this event.  In Santa Barbara
there
will be an event at the Courthouse Sunken gardens beginning at 6:30 p.m.  The
program begins with a proclamation of peace by Mayor Blum followed by words of
hope and peace by Rev. Mark Asman, Babatunde Folayemi, Stephen Sherill, and
the
Rev. Karen Weingard.  Live music will be provided by Lisa Lavie and Lois
Mahalia, Melissa Ramsey-Demeter and Dion Mial, backed by the Center of the
Heart Band featuring Eje` Lynn-Jacobs, George Friedenthal, Chris Judge, James
Spitzer and Chris Thomas.  After the program concludes we will hold a candle
light vigil.  This is an event for people of all ages, faiths and political
beliefs; a chance to unite with millions around the world in support of peace.

Come for a gathering in the courtyard of the Sola House, 312 E. Sola Street
(downtown, cross street is Garden St), prior to the event at 5:45 to talk
briefly about plans for the fall and new year for permaculture activities with
the South Coast Permaculture Guild.  Hear about all the exciting things taking
place in our area, so many groups and organizations doing work around
sustainability and permaculture. If you have an announcement to make please
bring something to post.  Following the Peace event at the Courthouse (within
walking distance), those wanting to return for further discussion will be
welcome to come back to the Sola House courtyard.  We will have light
refreshments, contribute if you'd like.

South Coast Permaculture meetings take place the third Thursday of the
month.

Events/ Info Sept/October 2006:

Sept. 16, Sat  9:30 AM -12:30 PM
USING PERMACULTURE DESIGN PRINCIPLES IN ORGANIC GARDENS. Santa Barbara
Permaculture principles facilitate the design of ecologically sound gardens.
Learn how some basic Permaculture principles can be used in your garden at
home. Living mulch, composting in place, succession, water conservation and
capture, stacking and layering will be among the topics discussed.
Taught by Larry Saltzman & Linda Buzzell at our backyard food forest, 26 El
Prado Place (park down street, walk up), Santa Barbara, CA 93105. (805)
451-4168 for more details.

<<<<<<<<<<<<
Fridays, 9-10 am (re-brodcasting on following Mondays)
Sustainable World Radio on public radio station KCSB 91.9fm, also streaming
live
at www.kcsb.org.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sept 23 -Oct 1 Cob Workshop with Betty Seaman
Santa Barbara CA 2006 Santa Barbara, CA
Cost $840  Accomodations & includes all meals and camping.
Contact Betty 805-698-3840 or Cob Cottage Company (541) 942-2005
www.cobcottage.com
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents:
ECOVILLAGES AND THE GLOBAL FUTURE WITH PROF. DECLAN  KENNEDY
Talk & Workshop, Ocotober 2006
Sat Oct 14 7:30 pm Urban and Rural Ecovillages Around the World,
Slide Show and Talk with Declan Kennedy
Cost, $10/5$Students
Santa Barbara City College West Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium, 721 Cliff
Drive  .
Santa Barbara

Sunday Oct 15 10-4pm
Ecovillages and the Global Future Workshop with Declan Kennedy,
Cost $30 /student $20
Santa Barbara City College Earth and Biological Science Building, Room ESB
309,
East Campus,
721 Cliff Drive,  Santa Barbara, CA
An Eco-Village is a human-scale, full-featured settlement, in which human
activities are harmlessly integrated into the natural world in a way that is
supportive of healthy human development and can be successfully continued into
the indefinite future. Eco-Village design is based mainly on permaculture
principles and is a way of thinking to create an abundant future. By conscious
design, we can reverse desertification, make agriculture ecologically sound,
reforest the planet and restore community life in rural and urban areas.

Prof. Declan Kennedy www.declan.de   is an  architect, city planner and
permaculture designer and lives in Lebensgarten Ecovillage Germany. Professor
of Urban Design and Infrastructure at the Architectural Department of the
Technical University of Berlin. He has been teaching and practicing ecological
architectural design since 1970 and permaculture design since 1982, both in
various universities.He did research on implemented examples of main stream
ecological settlements in Europe for the European Academy of the Urban
Environment, Berlin. European Secretariat of the Global Eco-village Network
(GEN) and is Founding Chairman of the GEN Board and Advisory Board Chairperson
of Gaia University www.gaiauniversity.org

Contact margie at sbpermaculture.org 805-962-2571 www.sbpermaculture.org

Sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Santa Barbara Ecological
Education Coalition(SBEEC)SBCC Adult Education Series, and Hopedance Media .

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous

sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org