[Scpg] Architect Challenges Nation to “Turn Down Global Thermostat” Tuesday, September 26 7 pm Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 25 06:02:00 PDT 2006

Ed Mazria lectures in SB on Tuesday, September 26
Architect Challenges Nation to
“Turn Down Global Thermostat”

Nationally recognized Santa Fe architect Ed Mazria will visit Santa Barbara
next month to promote his plan to combat global warming through more
stringent green building and energy efficiency requirements. Mazria will
speak Tuesday, September 26 at 7 pm at the newly-renovated Marjorie Luke
Theater at the Santa Barbara Junior High, located at 721 E. Cota.
Mazria’s plan  known as Architecture 2030 -- was adopted last December by
the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and in June by the U.S. Council
of Mayors. The plan aims to reach zero emissions for building operations by
2030.
“Forty eight percent of all U.S. greenhouse gas emissions are the result of
building-related energy use,” said Karen Feeney of The Sustainability
Project, which is co-hosting the lecture. “Nationwide our buildings have
historically been notorious energy wasters, but that could change if
architects and builders really put their minds to it. Ed’s plan should be
particularly well received in Santa Barbara, where we have the resources
and the level of environmental awareness that could help set an example for
California and the rest of the nation.”
Tam Hunt, Energy Program Director for the Community Environmental Council
(CEC) agreed. “The building sector is onearea where we can effect real
change in how we use energy -- as individuals and at the local government
level,” he said. Noting CEC’s aggressive goal for eliminating all fossil
fuel use in the region by 2033, he continued that “We do not need to wait
for the federal government or anyone else to show leadership. We can take
this bull by the horn ourselves and start designing smarter buildings.”
Mazria is a senior principal at Mazria Inc. Odems Dzurec in Santa Fe. He is
the well-known author of the architecture classic, The Passive Solar Energy
Book, as well as senior analyst for the Southwest Climate Council and
adjunct professor at the University of New Mexico. He speaks nationally and
internationally on the subject of climate change and architecture.
Some of tactics outlined in his Architecture 2030 plan include:
·       All new buildings and developments are to be designed immediately
to use half the fossil fuel energy they would typically consume.
·       An equal amount of existing building area is to be renovated
annually to use half the amount of fossil fuel energy they are currently
consuming (through design, purchase of renewable energy and/or the
application of renewable technologies).
·       The fossil fuel reduction standard for all new buildings is to be
increased to: 60% in 2010, 70% in 2015, 80% in 2020, 90% in 2025, and
carbon-neutral by 2030 (using no fossil fuel greenhouse gas emitting energy
to operate).

Following the lecture, a panel of local experts will discuss how to apply
Mazria’s Architecture 2030 vision in our community. Panelists include: Joe
Andrulaitis, American Institute of Architects Santa Barbara Chapter; Dennis
Allen of Allen Associates; Mayor Marty Blum; Robert Ooley, Santa Barbara
County Architect; and Tam Hunt of the Community Environmental Council.
The event is being presented by The Sustainability Project, SBCC Continuing
Education and the Community Environmental Council with support from: the
American Institute of Architects Santa Barbara Chapter; Antioch College;
Built Green Santa Barbara; the City of Santa Barbara; the County of Santa
Barbara; Fielding Graduate Institute; Green Building Alliance; Habitat for
Humanity; Livingreen; Pacifica Graduate Institute; the Peikert Group; Santa
Barbara Contractors Association; Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History;
and Westmont College.
For more information, visit www.CommunityEnvironmentalCouncil.orgor
www.sustainabilityproject.org