[Scpg] opportunity to caretake a farm and land trust in New Zealand

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Thu Feb 15 10:43:35 PST 2007

We are passing along this message from a friend -

Please send responses directly to Elisa Robles (NOT to Quail Springs!) at
Elisa Robles [riveroak at gmail.com].

Dear earth loving international community,

My name is Elisa Robles and I am writing this letter on behalf of a new
friend of mine Bill McConnachie. Bill lives in Taieri Mouth, New Zealand, on
Beecroft Garden Trust. Bill is an amazing man and a gift to the
organic/permaculture world. He has transformed ~ 1acre of barren land into a
chemical free virtual oasis containing a wind mill, solar hot water heating,
multiple cisterns for rainwater catchment, 3 small dwellings, over 30 garden
beds, 2 green houses, a large variety of fruit trees, 2 bee hives, and 2
chicken coops with lots of egg laying hens. All of this lies within a 2
minutes walk to the sea with secluded beaches and the occasional penguin.
This sounds amazing right! So what is the problem you ask?

The sad part of this story is that Bill is now 82 yrs old. He has no
relatives in which to take over his work here at Beecroft.For the last 16yrs
Bill has been part of the Wwoofing community and has hosted over 600
international folks interested in getting back to the land. He has shared
his knowledge of organic farming and bee keeping with anyone who would
listen. These days Bill is filled with dispare because it seems the interest
in his way is fading and no one has stepped up to take over the farm.

What is needed is a few dedicated individuals with a non-profit status to
jump in, get excited, nurture the flames of passion back into the currently
over-run land and revive this place! As you can imagine it takes a lot to
run a farm and does require someone to be there at all times but if done as
a team could be an amazingly rewarding experience. There is no cost to move
in and take over the trust! Bill will remain on the land for the rest of his
days here and will need some assistance but it is a two way street. Bill is
committed to the trust and to teaching what he knows. He would be a
treasured resource for the new caretakers.

The trust has unlimited potential! It could be a school, an intentional
community and teaching center, a retreat, a place to set down roots. Because
the land is in a trust it cant be used to make individual income but there
is the opportunity to sell fruits, veggies, eggs, etc investing the money
back into the land creating a self-sustaining environment. There are also
way to set up creative endeavors such as leasing the land from the trust for
a separate enterprise . . . like I said, lots of possibility!

Bill and I thank you for taking time out of your day to read this and would
appreciate any response or the kindness to pass this email along to anyone
interested. Bill's details are:

Beecroft Garden Trust
Bill McConnachie
Motuarata Rd.
Taieri Mouth  (Otago)
(03) 481-7887

Email responses can be sent directly to me and I will pass them on as Bill
does not have Internet access.Don't be afraid to call and chat with Bill, he
is a loving man who honors all people and would be grateful to hear from you
for even the smallest of questions! Again, thank you for your time and may
your days be blessed with love and laughter!

Sincerely,
Elisa