[Scpg] Africa to Brazil Event/March 20, 3:30-5:30pm/Pascucci's Restaurant

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Mar 21 00:54:48 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone-

This is it!  Our kickoff event to tell the Santa Barbara community about our
effort to bring 4 members of the Food & Trees for Africa (FTFA) to the
International Permaculture Conference in Brazil (IPC8) at Pascucci's
Restaurant
in downtown Santa Barbara (see below for details).

We really believe in this one!  If you've ever wanted to support SB
Permaculture Network and the work we do, this is the time.  We love the
idea of
lot's of members participating by sending donations of $5, $10, $20, they all
add up.  Large or small donations lovingly accepted.  Our community will be
spoken of highly at IPC8 since this kind of grassroots giving is fairly
unique,
not attempted by many.  Can you imagine --- Santa Barbara on the lips of all
attending the International conference---and later written up in the archive
materials, gone down in Permaculture history.  Remember that the global
permaculture movement exists solely as a result of hundreds of individuals
working hard to create positive solutions for this world, for the most part
without any substantial (or any) support from large institutions, corporations
or governments.

If you want to hear more about the International Permaculture Conference and
the extraordinary work that Food & Trees for Africa does, go to an
interview on
A Sustainable World Radio last week with FTFA founder Jeunesse Parks:
http://www.radio4all.net/proginfo.php?id=22251

Thanks for your support, Margie Bushman & Wes Roe
<<<>>>
                        SANTA BARBARA PERMACULTURE NETWORK
Presents:
AFRICA TO BRAZIL
Fundraiser Event @ Pascucci’s Restaurant
729 State Street
Tues, March 20, 3:30-5pm

        Please join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as we raise funds to
bring four members of Food & Trees for Africa from South Africa to Brazil for
the 8th International Permaculture Conference, with a kick-off fundraiser
event
at Pascucci's restaurant.  The event will take place on Tue, March 20th, from
3:30-5pm with appetizers and music.

        In 2005, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network traveled to Croatia to
attend the 7th International Permaculture Conference.  Permaculture
practitioners, teachers and organizations had gathered from around the
world to
share experiences, knowledge and projects.  At the conference it was realized
that many from cash poor, but tradition and skills rich countries such as
Vietnam, Cambodia, Honduras, and many countries in Africa, were unable attend
simply due to lack of funds.  A challenge was given to all in attendance to
commit to bring some of these under-represented countries to the next
conference.  Santa Barbara Permaculture Network chose South Africa, and an
organization called Food & Trees for Africa (FTFA).

        Food & Trees For Africa (www.trees.co.za) is an exemplary organization
bringing tree planting and permaculture to townships and rural areas of South
Africa since 1990. FTFA has assisted tens of thousands of people by greening
unhealthy, denuded and degraded landscapes through diverse programs including
national school garden competitions, community gardens and urban forestry
projects. FTFA extended its operations to assist organizations working in the
field of HIV/AIDS, helping to reduce the potentially devastating effects of
the
disease by establishing permaculture food growing projects at clinics, schools
and in public open spaces.

        The kick-off event at Pascucci's will offer the community a chance to
hear more about the people of FTFA and their work.  An event donation of $5 is
suggested, with opportunities to contribute more later if inclined.  Needed
for
travel expense to Brazil and the conference is $3000 for each member of FTFA.
The group will share their experiences with donors as they travel..

        The International Permaculture Conferences are held bi-annually,
discussing world issues in the framework of Permaculture.  The theme for this
years conference is "Greening the Economy", with a world (public)
conference in
Sao Paulo, Brazil.  It will be followed by a four day working convergence with
members discussing issues from permanent agriculture, urban design, economical
systems, and bioregionalism, with the exchange of experience of actual
projects
a pivotal point. A week tour of the Amazon River Basin is also planned.

        Permaculture is a design system based on ecological principles for
creating sustainable human environments.  In 1978 there was nothing quite like
Permaculture, twenty-eight years later Permaculture laps the globe, with over
4000 projects in 120 countries. Originally coined from the words PERMAnent
agriCULTURE, it has evolved to one of permanent or sustainable culture with
consciously designed landscapes that mimic the patterns of nature.

        For those unable to attend the event but would like to contribute,
donations may be made to: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network 501(c),
(designate
FTFA), PO Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA, 93190.  If you would like to make a
donation by Credit Card/ATM please go to International Permaculture Conference
and Conference webpage (www.ipc8.org/payments) and specify your donations is
for  FTFA (payment will go directly them).

        The event takes place at Pascucci's Restaurant, 729 State Street, on
Tue, March 20, 3:30-5pm, no reservations are necessary. For more information;
805-962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org, www.sbpermaculture.org.
Co-sponsors for
the event are Sustainable World Radio KCSB 91.9fm, IPC8 www.ipc8.org, and
Hopedance Media.

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous