[Scpg] orchard development - hearing April 3

Rachel Morris rachelmorris at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 00:16:05 PDT 2007

Hi Friends,

I just want to let you know there's an orchard off of Ventura Avenue
(between Seneca and Dakota) that is being considered for development.

There is a public hearing by the planning commission:
Tuesday, April 3, 7 p.m.,
Ventura City Hall, Council Chambers.

The request is for "...120 single-family dwellings, 36 townhouse
condominiums, 50 low income senior apartments and 1.5 acres of park area"
The developer is also asking for "reduction of the required street setback
for the single-family dwellings from 20 feet to 7 feet..." So, you basically
step out of the house and onto the sidewalk.

This orchard is adjacent to a flood runoff ravine on its North side. It is
between two existing subdivisions. It is currently County property and the
request is for it to be annexed into the city.

 I understand that it is owned by a single, elder, who is struggling to
maintain the orchard, and hopes to be able to sell it to the developer so
she can make an income and get out from under the responsibility.

The notice says "For information call (805)654-7752

Project Location: 2686 North Ventura Avenue

Applicant: Centex Homes (I just found out they're from Texas)