[Scpg] [cityrepairla] Intentional/sustainable community resource base?

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Wed May 2 09:58:03 PDT 2007

Hi Cory,
A few years ago, I started the Los Angeles Communities Dialogue Group or
LAComDig (pronounced "la com dig").  We met monthly for about a year or
so at different communities in the LA area.  However, it hasn't been
active lately.  I would be thrilled for you/others to provide leadership
on reactivating the network.  Essentially it runs itself and people can
use the listserve to exchange resources and discussion.  Though planning
face-to-face gatherings monthly or so proves very effective in keeping
the network active and helpful.

There are several other websites and listserves serving the intentional
communities movement, including:

www.ic.org (Fellowship for Intentional Community which includes a
comprehensive communities directory on a relational database on the
website; this website also includes a "Reach" page where community
seekers and those communities with openings can find one another)
www.cohousing.org
www.ecovillage.org
www.ic.org/nica (Northwest Intentional Communities Association)
http://www.thefec.org/ (Federation of Egalitarian Communities)

There is also a Los Angeles Meet-Up group for the L.A. area at:
http://www.meetup.com/login/?returnUri=http%3A%2F%2Fintentionalcomm.meetup.com%2F10%2Fcalendar%2F5669798%2Frsvp%2F%3Fresponse%3D3
I believe it meets monthly, though I have not yet gotten to one.

I also believe there are thousands of small eco and co-op oriented
intentional communities throughout the LA area which are simply not
networked with one another, so an outreach to include them could prove
helpful.  Generally, they simply don't know that such networks exist.

Also, note that CRSP will be sponsoring Diana Leafe Christian  (author
of "Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools for forming ecovillages
ande intentional communities) again this summer in a two day workshop
plus a public talk here at LAEV.  She has a new book coming out this
spring called "Finding Community."

Best to all,
Lois Arkin
CRSP Institute for Urban Ecovillages(IUE)
    at Los Angeles Eco-Village
www.laecovillage.org
213/738-1254