[Scpg] Looking for a source for compostable plates and forks

Rachel Morris rachelmorris at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 23:45:32 PDT 2007

Dear Sarah,

I looked into "green" flatware for our Earth Day event, but didn't really find anything
that was workable for me.

Here are the issues I ran into:

*        "compostable" flatware doesn't decompose in a home compost bin. It takes a
commercial one with very high heat.

*        Most folks don't realize it's compostable, so they throw this stuff in the
recyclables where it degrades the quality of the plastic because it's not recyclable.

*        Our green waste people in Ventura, last I checked, don't compost these utensils.
You have to have a special deal with your compost people to make sure they will take these
things. So In Ventura, they're only good for the landfill.

*        Seems to me that with the growing, processing, packaging, shipping, storing,
these things have a pretty high carbon foot print.

Here's what I've come up with, and I don't mind hearing other ideas. There's no way to
throw away your flatware and still be green. What if we had no disposable forks and
spoons, what would people do? They might:

-Eat finger food like sandwiches, ice-cream cones, french fries, chips, pickles, pizza,
tacos, etc, etc,

- Bring chopsticks, or personal silver.

- Use food like chips, pretzels, crackers for dipping.

-Have a place to wash silverware, or just throw it in a bucket for cleaning later.

My suggestion is to stay away from throw-away flatware. Even those disposable chopsticks
are damaging as heck to the planet, and you don't get greener than sticks of wood. It's
our head that needs to change, not our technology.

Kind Regards,

-Rachel