[Scpg] Heirloom Chicken Breeds for Sale

Path to Freedom dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Tue May 29 10:21:29 PDT 2007

Greetings

I had to replenish my chicken flock so I hatched some eggs and raised some
chicks. I have extra hens to sell and roosters too.

Backyard chickens are all the rage now. Here's a chance to start your own
flock instantly. Chickens are great pets and a wonderful addition to any
family home.

I have a lot of heritage breeds and exotics and rare ones. All are
organically and holistically raised. Fed with dried kelp, probiotics, and
apple cider vinegar for optimum health.  We only provide an all natural
feed, supplemented with organic fresh greens, worm and bugs.  They are not
given any antibiotics or genetically modified material. They are not
vaccinated and will be treated holistically for the prevention of any
diseases. They are also guaranteed for up to a week from the date you take
them home.

They are handled with one-on-one attention and tamed for human interaction
from the time they are a day-old.   To good homes only!  You must be able to
provide these chickens with a safe, affectionate and spacious home.

My extra hens are:

Buff Orpington ( 1 available - 8 weeks old )
This breed is one of the sweetest tempered of all poultry and makes the
cutest pets.  Bright gold, fluffy feathers and green eyes.  They are so
tame, they love to be cuddled in the lap  and enjoy being petted!  They have
very laid back personalities and make good backyard companions.
They are much sweeter and nicer than cats with a gentle temperament!    And
they are breath-takingly beautiful to look at.    We are smitten with
these docile little sweeties.

One of the best chickens for even the youngest of children to handle.   They
love to sit on hands and laps and quietly preen themselves... or you!  Kids
adore these gentle giants.  They lay prolific jumbo brown eggs.

If you have neighbors that aren't sure about chickens, the Buff Orpington is
the best choice.  They have proven to be calm, quiet, docile and non-
fliers.  They won't bother even the closest neighbors.
($17.00)

English Speckled Sussex (1 available - 5 weeks old)
With all the chicks we have raised this year, this breed has quickly become
one of our ultimate favorites.  The Speckled Sussex was developed in Sussex
County, England over 100 years ago and was a common utility bird throughout
Great Britian.  This chicken's plumage color is a delight to the eye being
of rich mahogany base color with individual feathers ending in a white tip
separated from the rest of the feathers by a black bar.They are
intelligent,  friendly, curious, beautiful, great foragers and bursting with
personality.  A terrific pet, they are extremely friendly and love to be
handled and will hop up on backs and shoulders to say "hello."  They are a
real joy to be around.     The hens lay beautiful large brown eggs.

If you have a problem with hawks in the neighborhood, the Sussex breed's
unqiue coloring allows it to blend with its surroundings.  They do not stand
out to a hawk's eye like other, light or one colored birds.
($15.00)

Arucana/Americana/"Easter Egg" ( 3 available - 5 weeks old)
The famous "Martha Stewart" bird that lays the colored eggs.  These birds
are great novelties for the backyard.  They are predicitable layers and
beautiful to observe with their multi-colored feathers and stripes.  Not one
is the same!  We have really enjoyed raising these.  Their  bright, perky
personalities and intelligence quickly captured our affection.    They enjoy
being held and are great "conversationsists" -- they enjoy being talked to
and often come up to us to say "hello."  Their little "ear muffs" are
adorable and give them a cute chipmunk look.  They can endure both hot or
cold weather and lay eggs through any extremes.    A stable and reliable
bird great for any city backyard.

These are a favorite of children as kids love to run out to the coop to see
the different colored eggs.  Araucans lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-
green shades.   These natural Easter Eggs will make a great  "show and tell"
project for school.
($15.00 ea)

And I have female week old chicks in these breeds ($7.00 ea)

Buff Lace Polish (1 available)
Silver Polish  (1 available)
Golden Polish  (1 available)
The Polish Chicken is a beautiful bird that is distinguished by an
explosive topknot of feathers, usually in a contrasting color to their body
color, which accents their plumage. Although not prized for their egg-laying
qualities (however, they are recognized for laying eggs of the purest
white), the Polish is a
docile bird; one that is very quiet and calm, making it perfect for a city
backyard.  And who can resist that face?  They are a lot of fun to watch.

Mentioned in literature as early as the sixteenth century, Polish Chickens
are a very old breed. It is often said they are beyond the time of any
recorded history.   We adore these little Polish chickens.  Their quiet
temperment, sweet attitude and mild nature make them an extremely nice bird
to have around.  They aren't getting into trouble like the other bunch of
chicks!!!  They are calm and easily contained with no real motivation to fly
the coop and are happy to be treated like pets.

Lakenvelders  (2 available)
These are one of the most beautiful in appearance of any of the rare
varieties with their striking black and white markings and slate colored
legs. Some people even consider them to be the most beautiful of all
chickens.  They were bred extensively in Germany and Holland as long ago as
the early 1800's. But earliest mentions of chickens of this type date back
even further, to about 1700.

They are quite small when mature, 3 to 4 lbs, and very quick
and active.  If you have room for them to roam, these chickens will actually
ignore the grains they are given and live almost entirely on what they
forage for themselves.  Because of their smaller stature they may not lay
eggs of the size you would expect from, say, a Leghorn or Australorp, but in
terms of feed conversion they are probably the most efficient of chickens.

They are primarily an egg-laying breed, and the hens are excellent layers of
white or cream coloured eggs. They do not normally go broody.

Silverspangled Hamburg  (2 available)
2 Golden Pencil Hamburg (2 available)
The Hamburg is a very old race of domesticated poultry. Their origin goes
back beyond the memory of man.  The name of the breed is German, but the
origin is Dutch.  These are one of the snappiest and most alert breeds on
the poultry list. Of rather small size, with light but sweeping, graceful
outlines, they are elegant and beautiful. They have a kind of bright
cheerfulness about them. They are such prolific layers of white eggs that a
common name for them was "the Dutch Everyday Layer."
Although egg size is medium they are small eaters and cost less to keep than
most breeds.  They also don't go broody so they lay more eggs than a lot of
other breeds.

With neat rose combs, white ear lobes,
leaden blue shanks and toes, these are excellent small birds for both beauty
and utility.

Silver Spangled:  The lustrous greenish black spangles on silvery white
plumage give them a perky polkadot look.

Golden Penciled:    This is an absolutely beautiful variety of the Hamburgs;
having finely penciled plumage of black barring on reddish base color,
leaden blue shanks and toes, and a neat pointed rose comb.

Buttercups  (2 available)
This is a really unqiue chicken.  There is none other like this.  This
interesting breed was imported from the island of Sicily over 100 years ago.
It has attracted wide-spread interest over the country because of its unique
beauty. The golden color and cup-shaped comb are the basis for the very
descriptive name. The comb is a cupshaped crown with a complete circle of
medium sized regular points.  The base color of the female is buff with all
feathers on the body marked by parallel rows of black elongated spangles,
giving the hen an appearance of being beautifully spotted and suggesting a
ringneck pheasant hen. Skin color is yellow and shanks and toes are a willow
green.  These are egg-laying chickens.

I have cockerals in these breeds:  ($10 each - 2 for $15)

BANTAM:
Buff Brahma
Golden Laced Cochin
Partridge Rock
Silver Penciled Rock
Buff Cochin
Black Cochin
D'uccle (Black Mottled, Mille Fleur)

STANDARD:
Silver Laced Cochin

All roosters to a good home only.  Not for fighting.  I will inquire and
reserve the right to refuse sale if I suspect these roosters will be abused in
such manner.

Photos available upon email request.

Jordanne Dervaes
jordanne at pathtofreedom.com