[Scpg] Racoons

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 12:37:06 PDT 2007

You can get a live (box) trap for under $100 that should be big enough for
raccoons.   The absolute best bait is jelly doughnuts, preferably fruit filling,
not spicy.   Once they are in the trap you can shoot them for a clean and
essentially painless execution.   I've also know people to electrocute them by
placing the trap on a rubber pad and attaching the wires of a household plug,
one at each end.   It kills the raccoons before the circuit breaker trips.   You
should NOT trap raccoons if you plan to release them elsewhere.   This is
utterly unethical, verging on immoral, as you are just moving your problem to
someone else.   Raccoons prefer to live around people because we provide much of
what they like and/or need, rather like rats.   So someone else will then have
to deal with damage from your raccoons, and it is your fault, absolutely.
And they will be unable to trap the raccoons because they are smart, and will
not enter a trap again once you have taught them that it is dangerous.   Our
dog kills them, also, but that is a secondary control.   They are tasty. If we
have extra, we cook it and feed it to the chickens, sort of frontier justice.
:-)

Dan Hemenway

In a message dated 7/5/07 4:14:02 PM, cory8570 at yahoo.com writes:

> OK, we now have some very slick raccoons that come in our nursury at
> nighttime and do very strange things like empty out pots.   Would like to hear any
> and all suggestions for handling such other than a big dog or perimeter fence
> which we can't do right now.
>
> Cory

Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

Our 12th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online begins Oct. 14, 2007. The
protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Protocol4-23-06.pdf

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications by category may be
downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf