[Scpg] Save the Dates/AUG 4 &11th/Los Olivos Potluck & Brazil Celebration & Gathering

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Jul 21 22:43:50 PDT 2007

Save the Dates:
Two Great Events in August!
Aug 4, Permaculture Potluck & Meeting in Los Olivos
Aug 11, Brazil Celebration & Gathering;
Margie & Wes Talk about International Permaculture Conference
See below for details:

  Permaculture Potluck in Los Olivos - Saturday, August 4th, 9:30 am

Hosted by Trish  (to RSVP call 805-688-6707 or email crazymiles at earthlink.net)

Out of the recent permaculture course with Geoff Lawton and Darren Doherty at
Quail Springs, Trish, one of the graduates, got inspired to revive some
down-to-earth gatherings for local and regional permaculture enthusiasts.

After completing the PDC course at Quail Springs, we feel it is never a better
time to initiate an ongoing permaculture collaboration. This will begin as a
potluck gathering next month on the land we rent in the village of Los Olivos.

The property is not exactly urban but is located in the heart of the village,
surrounded by wineries, organic farms and agriculture.   We moved the garden
from Zone 4 to Zone 1, and are now experiencing a wave of curiosity from
locals. The response comes with a feeling of excitement about a possible
community permaculture garden.  On one side of us we have the elementary
school
and just down the hill we have wine tasting rooms and the local coffee shop
where we get  our coffee grinds for compost. We are recycling wine bottles as
edges around the garden and have just completed a chicken/duck coop made from
recycled materials. The timing for sustainable design (education) in this area
is perfect as is this location.

The meetings could begin with a dialogue of ideas about the land that we rent
with the idea of participating on any projects that come to mind, book
sharing,
videos, courses, and any vital information related to permaculture. The fact
that some people represent more years of experience is perfect for those of us
who are beginners. The purpose is to explore, experiment, and contribute to
sustainable sites as well as strengthen the thread of permaculture community.
Perhaps participants would be open to traveling site to site. For example, if
someone in Santa Barbara would like to open up their home for a meeting, then
maybe someone from San Luis Obispo...we could meet on a monthly or bi-monthly
schedule depending on schedules and the wants/needs of participants.

At this stage the days and times are flexible. However, due to summer
temperatures in the Santa Ynez Valley, our first meeting will take place on
Saturday August 4th at 9:30 a.m. Since this is an exploration please come with
anything you might feel be related to our first discussion. This is truly an
exploration of ideas and energy!
To RSVP call Trish at 688-6707 or email  crazymiles at earthlink.net
(some carpooling possibilities may be available from Santa Barbara)

<<<<>>>>
Saturday, August 11, 2007, 6pm-9:30pm.
Brazil, Brazil, we loved Brazil..

Please join us for a mini-Brazilian celebration as we talk about our recent
month long trip to Brazil and the 8th International Permaculture Conference
(www.ipc8.org).

Food, Music, Slide Show,  and plenty of space at the early meeting for all
those who just completed Permaculture Design Courses in our area to talk about
their experiences and plans for local organizing, so much enthusiasm in our
region!

5:30pm - South Coast Permaculture Guild/SB Chapter Mtg.

6:30pm
Food (provided, but potluck if you feel inclined, take the challenge, have fun
with Brazilian recipes!)

7:30pm - Brazil Slide Show & Talk

8:30pm Music, Dance, Joyful Brazilian stuff, bring your Brazilian CD's,
drummers welcome

More Info & directions to follow in newsletter...

Hope you can join us-

Margie Bushman & Wes Roe
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous